Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #61
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
I have a 40" set from Samsung and a Boxee box. But Boxee has decided to cancel that product which I think is a shame, because it has been great to stream downloaded material to my TV.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never seen the attraction of these huge TV sets. I have a 32" set, and I wouldn't want anything larger.
Depends on the size of the room and the viewing distance.
I've spent some quality time with a 70in Sharp in a family room that is 16x22 feet. It fits the room perfectly. Anything smaller would get lost and make the room feel like a cavern, anything bigger would take over the room.
At that size movies are a joy and Kinect gaming a delight.

(The house isn't enormous, 2300 square feet, but the floorplan is optimized for the residents' lifestyle and the family room is the focus.)

Considering those Sharps can be had for US$2000 (and my first, 37in, HDTV cost me that much) I see plenty of value in the investment. Of course, I also know folks that only watch talking heads on TV and that set would be wasted on them.

As with most things, your milleage will vary.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
On another matter entirely, there is a rumor that Steve Jobs is coming back in a giant Apple space ship in the tail of a giant Comet. There is speculation right now on the shape of the giant Comet!
Dunno about the spaceship, but the Comet is looking to be something special:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50413226...est-ever-seen/
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
His brain is frozen in the basement of a Disney studio.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #65
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
His brain is frozen in the basement of a Disney studio.
I heard they kept the whole body and wired it up so he can chat with Walt.
http://images.wikia.com/fallout/imag...l_Mr_House.png
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #66
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I use a Western Digital "HD TV Live" media streamer myself. I've had it for about two years, and I can honestly say it's one of the most useful things I've ever bought. Handles pretty much every video format I can throw at it, and I can plug any USB drive into it, or stream files over my network.
Same here. I liked mine so much I bought another for my study just to hook up to my stereo amp, without a TV. Because it's DLNA I can just drive it from any of my tablets or the phone, hauling music off my NAS.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Same here. I liked mine so much I bought another for my study just to hook up to my stereo amp, without a TV. Because it's DLNA I can just drive it from any of my tablets or the phone, hauling music off my NAS.

Graham
That's a cunning plan! I'll have to have a go at doing that! You can actually control the streamer from a tablet, can you? May I ask what app you use to do that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #68
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
I use a Western Digital "HD TV Live" media streamer myself. I've had it for about two years, and I can honestly say it's one of the most useful things I've ever bought. Handles pretty much every video format I can throw at it, and I can plug any USB drive into it, or stream files over my network.
Same here. We have one connected wirelessly in the family room and one via powerline ethernet downstairs in the hobby room. The family room one is the latest model, which can be controlled via my iphone using Western Digital's HD TV Live iOS software from iTunes.

Both serve video and music via our 2 NAS units. Western Digital are always updating firmware to ensure full codec compatibility.

Certainly beats having extra HTPC's in the house.

Last edited by sabredog; 01-12-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: not so good grammar
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #69
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
That's a cunning plan! I'll have to have a go at doing that! You can actually control the streamer from a tablet, can you? May I ask what app you use to do that?
I use Bubble UPnP. You just need to turn the WDTV Live on and then the app finds it and can take control. No need to have a TV connected. One caveat: the latest WDTV firmware update broke the ability to do this with FLAC files (which is the format for most of my music). I had to roll back to the previous version.

I also use Jamcast on my PC which Bubble can also see as a 'device'. This allows me to stream anything playing on the PC to the WDTV box. Ideal for Napster or internet radio or podcasts.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #70
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I heard they kept the whole body and wired it up so he can chat with Walt.
http://images.wikia.com/fallout/imag...l_Mr_House.png
CS Lewis wrote about it
in "That Hideous Strength"
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I use Bubble UPnP. You just need to turn the WDTV Live on and then the app finds it and can take control. No need to have a TV connected. One caveat: the latest WDTV firmware update broke the ability to do this with FLAC files (which is the format for most of my music). I had to roll back to the previous version.

I also use Jamcast on my PC which Bubble can also see as a 'device'. This allows me to stream anything playing on the PC to the WDTV box. Ideal for Napster or internet radio or podcasts.

Graham
Thanks - I'll have to have a go at doing that!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Both serve video and music via our 2 NAS units. Western Digital are always updating firmware to ensure full codec compatibility.
Not just CODECs, either. A recent firmware update, for example, added support for USB drives >2TB in size. I've been extremely impressed by the number of new features that WD have added to the device via firmware updates since I've bought it. An excellent level of support.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #73
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just saw this:

http://www.pfhub.com/tim-cook-says-a...ming-soon-248/

Ipad mini with cell phone? Hmm...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #74
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
just saw this:

http://www.pfhub.com/tim-cook-says-a...ming-soon-248/

Ipad mini with cell phone? Hmm...
Wrong link Kenny.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #75
kennyc

Not a wrong link, but doesn't seem to be responding.....

Here's a different one I found: http://thenextweb.com/asia/2013/01/1...-late-january/
and
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-end-of-month/

Last edited by kennyc; 01-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.