Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #76
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I think the first part of this is important. You OWN your copy of the book and are entitled to let a friend read it. Technical problems with doing that aside - this is what I had expected/hoped to be the case.
I think it is important not to read too much into this. Amazon are not saying that you may let your friends read your DRM-free ebooks from Amazon willy-nilly. Even for DRM-free ebooks, you may only let others read them on devices authorised to your account.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #77
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it is important not to read too much into this. Amazon are not saying that you may let your friends read your DRM-free ebooks from Amazon willy-nilly. Even for DRM-free ebooks, you may only let others read them on devices authorised to your account.
True, but I think some important things change, legally, with actual ownership. Warning IANAL
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #78
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I think the first part of this is important. You OWN your copy of the book and are entitled to let a friend read it. Technical problems with doing that aside - this is what I had expected/hoped to be the case.
Forgive me if I missed something ... where do they agree that you OWN your copy of the book? It seems to me that you only OWN certain rights to read and somewhat share.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #79
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
Forgive me if I missed something ... where do they agree that you OWN your copy of the book? It seems to me that you only OWN certain rights to read and somewhat share.
"In terms of use, you have purchase a copy of a book with us, and it is your copy. You may authorize any one you wish to read it, but that person's device must be registered to your account to do so."

Of course, this is just a reply from customer service, and probably not binding. But it's still better than I was expecting.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #80
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
In reply to Nogle:

It would seem than you have missed my point, intentionally I suspect. The point was not whether it makes economic sense, but that a) the equipment to do it is cheap and readily available and b) it requires neither great skill or intelligence to accomplish it although it does requires moderate amount of care (something most publishers can not be bothered with if the E-Reads ebook versions of Halan Ellison's books are any example. They didn't spend 12 minutes, let alone 12 hours. The production of the books are wretched crap (the books not Ellison's writing.))

Just because a company says this is the way things are doesn't necessarily mean that it is so. For most people, once it is read, a book has no value so the natural thing is to pass it along to someone else. The idea of only licensing as opposed to selling is recent (since the '60 and started with software), there might be some surprises there yet. Most (all?) of the copyright infringement cases up to now have been in the States where the outcome depends on the amount of money you can spend on lawyers (and politicians.)

In the meantime, I will continue to share my books with my immediate family' Licences be damned!
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #81
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Why don't they understand that we want ebooks to be the same as normal books. I can lend a book to a friend, why not an ebook?
Hand device containing ebook to friend. Done.

I, for one, don't want ebooks to be the same as paper books. If you really do want them to be the same then just use paper books. Nothing is more like a paper book than a paper book.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #82
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Hand device containing ebook to friend. Done.

I, for one, don't want ebooks to be the same as paper books. If you really do want them to be the same then just use paper books. Nothing is more like a paper book than a paper book.
Only if you hand your device to your friend, you're not lending them just the one book. You're lending them all of your books, and you have nothing left to read.

I'm going to ignore the comment about using paper books for several reasons.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #83
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
When I first read about ebooks and DRM - ages ago - I remember talk of lending a book to a friend, with a time limit. I have borrowed books from libraries this way of course, but how do I lend a book to a friend to read?

I can't find how to do this for epubs under ADE, and haven't noticed anything under the Kobo desktop either (although that would be less useful as epub is the more universally readable format - after all, not all my friends have a Kobo )
Well, you can lend it to a friend, but you won't be able to enforce any real time limit... So if thats too important for you, then you are out of luck. Otherwise you only have to copy the ebook to pc, remove drm, and ship it to your friend. Rather easy, really.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #84
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
Well, you can lend it to a friend, but you won't be able to enforce any real time limit... So if thats too important for you, then you are out of luck. Otherwise you only have to copy the ebook to pc, remove drm, and ship it to your friend. Rather easy, really.
I would have thought the time limit was important to the people controlling the DRM. The point was to work within the rules and still be able to lend it to a friend.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #85
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Only if you hand your device to your friend, you're not lending them just the one book. You're lending them all of your books, and you have nothing left to read.

I'm going to ignore the comment about using paper books for several reasons.
If that is your only device that can access ebooks then obviously you would not be able to access your ebooks until you got the device back. Ebooks can usually be used on multiple devices simultaneously though. If your goal is to spread the cost of books between several people another alternative would be to share an account.

Why ignore paper books? They are still a viable alternative and some seem to prefer them as the comments in this thread and elsewhere would seem to attest. I use both depending on the situation.

My main point is don't think of ebooks and paper books as the same thing because they are not the same thing. Rather take advantage of what each has to offer and chose the right one for you based on your needs. We don't need to limit the possibilities of ebooks with the burden of imitating paper books. Haven't we witnessed the folly of that type of limited thinking enough times already?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 10-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #86
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I agree. Back when i was younger I used to browse books with a few friends and we'd even go splits on used book stores. We'd "co-own" copies of books that cost us a total of $2! We'd swap dozens of books among ourselves. For co-ownership, lending, re-selling, you cannot beat physical books.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #87
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Why ignore paper books? They are still a viable alternative and some seem to prefer them as the comments in this thread and elsewhere would seem to attest. I use both depending on the situation.
I have an ereader (just the one) because I love the ease of reading on it. No extra weight, no turning to my other side every time I hit the next page when reading in bed, easy page turning, always got a million books with me... And ever since I've had an ereader I dislike reading paper books. They're heavy and clumsy and it's a hassle to turn pages... plus, a they're a waste of paper and space in my over-full book case.

Quote:
My main point is don't think of ebooks and paper books as the same thing because they are not the same thing. Rather take advantage of what each has to offer and chose the right one for you based on your needs. We don't need to limit the possibilities of ebooks with the burden of imitating paper books. Haven't we witnessed the folly of that type of limited thinking enough times already?
I understand that. The only issue here is that (and this point has been made before in this thread), if paper and e-books are not the same thing and they're not to be treated the same way, they should be priced differently. If ebooks were always half of the price of a paper book (for instance), there wouldn't be much of a problem with not being able to lend out books. A friend who wanted to borrow wouldn't have to spend as much just to buy the book themselves.

The main points if this thread are:
- fine, ebooks are protected with DRM. Understandable. It would be nice if DRM enabled lending out of books. For the DRM to stay in tact, perhaps put a time limit on lending out. Lending out of DRM'd books would mean lending out the license to read that particular book. Once you've lent your DRM'd book out, you can't read it (because you're license is temporarily void) until your friend has returned the license to you or the time limit expires. Having this option for DRM'd ebooks would make the ebook price more acceptable, and pirating MUCH less likely.
- if lending out of DRM'd ebooks is not acceptable for publishers, they should absolutely lower the price of ebooks drastically. Only then would it be okay that we can't use ebooks like we use paper books in the sense of lending out.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #88
jusmee
Wizard

Good summary.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #89
TheJohnNewton
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
- if lending out of DRM'd ebooks is not acceptable for publishers, they should absolutely lower the price of ebooks drastically. Only then would it be okay that we can't use ebooks like we use paper books in the sense of lending out.
This makes the most sense to me. Creating and supporting the infrastructure required to offer lending for something that is not resource limited seems like an odd idea to me. When anyone can have their own copy in seconds straight from the source the simplest solution seems to be just get your own copy. The simplest solution is usually the best. Plus why make a person who is not lending books subsidize those who are?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 10-22-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #90
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The ability to lend is *not* part of the price calculation of books. It may be part of your perceived value, but when publishers decide how much to charge, it's not part of the formula. There's only one place where it *is* part of the formula... library sales. Where they do indeed charge more then to consumers because the libraries lend the books.

So how can you suggest that the inability to lend an ebook should lead to drastically lower ebook prices? Since it's not part of the pricing formula to begin with, where is this cost saving going to come from?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote