Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
TBOL3
TBOL3 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise-1150
Note taking capabilities?

Okay, I'm not too particularly picky here, as I'm very cheap, and this has been, by far, the cheapest ebook reader I've seen (I wish there was some other cheaper ones, but I can't find any).

So, I was somewhat intrigued to find out that the ebookwise could take notes. How good is it's ability to do so? Is it just good for mainly highlighting, or for someone who also likes to scribble in the margins? Theoretically, could it be used for someone to take lecture notes, or is that a horrible idea? (I know it's not ideal).

Thank you in advanced.
TBOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
TBOL3

Oh, and one last question, I am thinking of getting it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/EBOOKWISE-GEMSTA...d=p3286.c0.m14

but the person claims that there is no power cord, how specific is the power cord? Would it be very unlikely that I could get my hands on one, or would I be stuck with an ebook reader with a permanently dead battery?

Again, thank you.
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
power cord

I believe it has been mentioned previously that it is hard to get a replacement power cord for the EB1150 because of some funky setting.

You can scribble notes on your EB1150 with your stylus. I can't really imagine taking notes on it, but that is just me.

As far as I know the EB1150 is the cheapest out there, and despite the price it is a very nice little device. It actually is one of the better ergonomically designed devices.

If you are not particularly good with computers it could be a little bit of a hassle because of the need to convert documents, but we have lots of information on how to do the conversion in the wiki section.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
TBOL3

Okay, thanks. It looks like I can get ebooks on their, and it looks like I might be able to slap together a power supply, so I'm probably going to buy it.

Although, do I need to also buy the memory card, or could I just use the small amount of internal memory, and just connect it via USB.

Thank you, again.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
memory

The internal memory is fairly small... only holding about 10 books at a time, depending on how big the books are. I have never had a problem with this, I just delete the books I have read off the device (keeping another copy on my harddrive) and load on the new books.

The type of card needed for the EB1150 is not a common one, its and older one and I believe not manufactured anymore? You can buy them off of ebay though.

I believe we have a thread in this forum about what type of power cord I think its this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30103

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Hello,
Yes you can take notes with a 1150. It's slow, akward and there is no spell check but I've taken to inserting a blank page at the begining of books I've read to elp me keep track of where I've been.

Amy's link points to the adapter thread, in short, I use Radio Shack's 273-1775 with tip "A" (comes free with purchase) and tip set to +. I mark the plug to make sure I get the polarity correct. I know for sure a original Rocket will be damaged if it's connected backward.

If you can afford it, there is a seller on ebay that deals only in new units. You will get everything you need for about $130.

For a cool note taker/ebook reader/toy check out the Clio 1050 by Vadem, http://cgi.ebay.com/VADEM-CLIO-C-105...d=p3286.c0.m14

This one's a bit expensive, I got mine for around $65. It has character recognition, can run mobipocket version 4.? and comes with Solitare.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I believe it has been mentioned previously that it is hard to get a replacement power cord for the EB1150 because of some funky setting.

You can scribble notes on your EB1150 with your stylus. I can't really imagine taking notes on it, but that is just me.

As far as I know the EB1150 is the cheapest out there, and despite the price it is a very nice little device. It actually is one of the better ergonomically designed devices.

If you are not particularly good with computers it could be a little bit of a hassle because of the need to convert documents, but we have lots of information on how to do the conversion in the wiki section.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Amy
Also in the wiki check for a new power supply - It points to http://www.220converters.com/store/p...hz-1000ma.html

Which is also good if you need 220 as well.

EBookwise-1150 is the location on our wiki.

Note that the unit you saw likely has only 8Meg of memory. Add on memory is Smart Media which is a little scarce. Last time I looked JR.com had some.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
TBOL3

Wow, thanks everyone. @250 coupe, that looks almost exactly like what I actually have been looking for for several months now, although you claim I can get one for about $65, I'll keep my eye out for one. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOL3 View Post
Wow, thanks everyone. @250 coupe, that looks almost exactly like what I actually have been looking for for several months now, although you claim I can get one for about $65, I'll keep my eye out for one. Thanks.
You are welcome.

You might search eBay for wince (or win ce) handheld PCs. The Mobilon is one of the fold open type and the Clio is a tablet type. Both have full but tiny keyboards, can in a pinch connect to the internet (33k modems rule!) and have the operating system in ROM. Just be sure to save ALL of your files to whatever storage card your new handheld PC can support. Anything that isn't part of the system, ie. notes and spreadsheets are stored in ram and go bye-bye if the main and backup batteries die.

I was in no hurry so was able to get mine for less than the example I picked for you. I have two Clios and two Mobilons and didn't pay more than $65 for any of them.

Michael
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
TBOL3

So, I just realized, what about the screen on these things?

It looks like the ebookwise has a screen a lot like my calculator, which should be fine for reading outside, but what about these tablets, would they be viable in the sun?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
250 Coupe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOL3 View Post
So, I just realized, what about the screen on these things?

It looks like the ebookwise has a screen a lot like my calculator, which should be fine for reading outside, but what about these tablets, would they be viable in the sun?

Thanks.
I'll charge one up and check for you. It may take a day or to for me to get back to you as I'm terminally slow.

Michael
Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
250 Coupe
Groupie

In a well lit room, a brightness setting of 50% works well. In full sunlight, you can't even tell it's on. In the shade it's readable and usable but not real bright.

If you want a LCD ereader that works in all lighting, you want an original Rocket. It's readable in full sunlight with the backlight off and readable in full darkness with the backlight set to minimum. They have character recognition and about the same note taking abilities as the eBookwise has but have much less storage. It will require a serial port and the docking cradle to use.

Michael
Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
In a well lit room, a brightness setting of 50% works well. In full sunlight, you can't even tell it's on. In the shade it's readable and usable but not real bright.

If you want a LCD ereader that works in all lighting, you want an original Rocket. It's readable in full sunlight with the backlight off and readable in full darkness with the backlight set to minimum. They have character recognition and about the same note taking abilities as the eBookwise has but have much less storage. It will require a serial port and the docking cradle to use.

Michael
Actually the eb1150 works in sunlight the best if you turn the backlight all the way off. The contrast setting has more impact than many people realize as well. I always use the minimum backlight I can get away with and more contrast.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
250 Coupe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually the eb1150 works in sunlight the best if you turn the backlight all the way off. The contrast setting has more impact than many people realize as well. I always use the minimum backlight I can get away with and more contrast.

Dale
While the 1150 does have adjustable contrast, the Rocket's display is more like a calculator. By that I mean that it's background does not have the slightly overdriven "haze" that the 1150 has, even if you crank the contrast down. Bringing the contrast up increases the darkness of the background enough that I find it distracting. I tend to run the contrast near the center and the backlight one or two clicks from the left end on the 1150 and turn the backlight off on the Rocket unless I'm in a dark room.

Michael