Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Why don't you get a jetBook Jon. You can return it to BB&B anytime for a full refund. You compare it to your Sony, using your eyes of course. Then form your own opinion. I'll have more respect for it then.

If you don't want a jetBook, or don't care for them, why not spend this time reading on your Sony?
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Jetbook's hardware. I'm saying that the Kindle's screen is the same as the 505's. Please don't read what I didn't write.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #62
lemon lime
Enthusiast
lemon lime began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook, iPod touch
I was wondering if there was something wrong with galavanter's Kindle as well. I need less light to read my e-ink screen than I do to read something on actual paper. I was actually reading last night in the car using street lights for illumination that I know would not be enough to read a pbook.
lemon lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #63
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
galavanter wrote:
"After all the hype about e-ink, I was hoping the jetBook would be at least on par with my Kindle 1 screen, but it is much better. I wouldn't think to read on the Kindle now. As I said in another thread, the Kindle looks faded and washed out next to the jetBook screen."
I don't have Kindle but I compared jetBook with Sony 505 and I can confrim that I like
jetBook screen more. If you don't have jetBook you can't compare jetBook screen with ink screen that's why galavanter suggested to buy jetBook in order to post the opinion based on real facts.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #64
lemon lime
Enthusiast
lemon lime began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook, iPod touch
Kris777, I know you're addressing your best friend , but galavanter also made the comparison with reading actual printed material. I think it's quite reasonable to think that if he needed more light to read the Kindle than with print, there might be something wrong with the Kindle. No one is challenging his or your preference of the Jetbook display.
lemon lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #65
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Jetbook's hardware.
No you didn't. You read my subjective (I have to explain this?) opinion comparing the Kindle to the jetBook, using my eyes (apparently over your head as well), and then childishly suggest the Kindle may be defective.

There may be a defective unit among us but it is not the Kindle.

This is a very enjoyable forum. I'm delighted to have found it. Most forums have someone like yourself, whose posts (both number and content) remind me of Bruce Springsteen's song 57 Channels (And Nothin' On).

Your self-doubt is apparent when you post not once, not twice, but endlessly in your attempting to shove your opinions (are they even that?) down everyone's throat. Luckily this is a very literate place and you are seen for what you are. It's kind of nice that you are tolerated. New as I am I sort of see you as the forum pet already.

I know you are looking to get a rise out of someone Jon, only to deny it in your passive aggressive manner later. My weakness is getting off by putting someone in their place on occasion in a blunt, direct fashion.

By the way don't forget what they say, "It's the content, stupid"(<<<Jon's reply helper hint). Regards to your mom.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-26-2009 at 10:59 AM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Keep it polite, please. You don't have to agree with someone's opinion, but personal attacks are inappropriate.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #67
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Keep it polite, please. You don't have to agree with someone's opinion, but personal attacks are inappropriate.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
On the plus side I will only post this once and be done with it. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No you didn't. You read my subjective (I have to explain this?) opinion comparing the Kindle to the jetBook, using my eyes (apparently over your head as well), and then childishly suggest the Kindle may be defective.

There may be a defective unit among us but it is not the Kindle.
I am not the only one here who thinks your Kindle may be defective. It's because we do have experience with Vizplex eink screens and we do know what we are talking about from experience.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #69
galavanter
Zealot

Quote:
I am not the only one here who thinks your Kindle may be defective. It's because we do have experience with Vizplex eink screens and we do know what we are talking about from experience.
May I call you Juggernaut Jon?

Your defective Kindle angle is weaksauce. Until you get a jetBook (are there any other ebooks with these screens?) and compare, you lack credibility. You must see that.

I'm the guy that is miffed because jetBook claims dictionary support but only has it for two out of six or more compatible files. I'm the guy who is waiting patiently for a response from Ectaco for a response to my post in their forum. It's me that started a thread about the goofy jetBook LED that blinks at will. I sarcastically slammed their big bust ad as tasteless, and made fun of their cheezy background music and preloaded NY drivers manual.

My jetBook needs one or two resets daily, and I just had to use my Leatherman tool to do it because I am in a cheap motel without a paper clip. But the screen, the reading experience, in lamp light, twilight, or sunlight (sunlight may be a toss-up) is an immense improvement over the Kindle, and I suppose your Sony, as they use the same e-ink screen.

I'm trying my best to give my honest opinion and observations about the jetBook and Kindle. What are you doing?

Last edited by galavanter; 04-26-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Your defective Kindle angle is weaksauce. Until you get a jetBook (are there any other ebooks with these screens?) and compare, you lack credibility. You must see that.
You totally misunderstand. This is not a comparison of the Jetbook screen to the Kindle screen. You said that when you are in low light where you can still read a paperback, yet you need to use a book light to be able to read your Kindle screen. I have a 505 which uses the same Vizplex screen as your Kindle. And my 505 can be read in the same light as a paperback book. This is why I'm thinking there may be something wrong with your Kindle's screen.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #71
galavanter
Zealot

Quote:
Once you get your GF a 505, you may as well put the Jetbook up for sale.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=429660

You have never read on a jetBook, yet you make the above statement. You're a fanboy, giddy with what YOU own, and ignorant of what else may be equal or superior. You post adolescent "mine's the best cause I chose it" statements, hoping to convince others due to your need for validation. It is a disservice to all.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #72
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My JetBook will be arriving this week, and I have most of my library DRM stripped in Mobi (prc) Format and converted to ePub in Calibre. Epub seems to work best on the PRS505 because it doesn't have to reformat the file the first time it's opened, although Calibre is also capable of producing LRF files which also work on the Sony.

So here's the question; which files work best on the JetBook? Mobi (prc) or ePub?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My JetBook will be arriving this week, and I have most of my library DRM stripped in Mobi (prc) Format and converted to ePub in Calibre. Epub seems to work best on the PRS505 because it doesn't have to reformat the file the first time it's opened, although Calibre is also capable of producing LRF files which also work on the Sony.

So here's the question; which files work best on the JetBook? Mobi (prc) or ePub?
Given that you have a 505 and will have a Jetbook, I would say ePub would be the best choice. Then you will have eBooks compatible with both devices.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #74
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A few more questions if there is a kind JetBook owner:

1. This new ePUB support on JetBook, does it work with embedded fonts? TTF vs. OPF?

2. Any chance of tweaking builtin dictionary and replacing it with, say, Webster 1913?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #75
galavanter
Zealot

My experience with file types and conversions is too limited to be of much help. My azw to mobi files look fine to me on the jetBook. The epub and mobi files (just one of each) I downloaded from guttenberg both do too.

I had emailed a couple of pdf's to Amazon and they converted them to azw. The Stranger was one of them. It looked great on the Kindle but the script wouldn't then convert it to mobi. Maybe it was silly of me to even try. A new file icon appears, but so does an error in terminal and the file has no content.

When I used Calibre on my Mac to convert The Stranger pdf to epub, it worked fine with the exception being that it did not show a line "Translation by so and so". Weird.

My pdf to mobi attempt in Calibre showed 壙 symbols instead of quotes and apostrophes. Again, pdf to epub worked well.

What I can do for you wodin is check on your jetBook when I pass through Vernon early this morning. I'll make sure it gets through town safely.

Ectaco has replied to my question about dictionary support. They promised compatibility with the new formats in an update, coming soon I hope.

I considered another dictionary on the jetBook too. I was even going to buy one but I'm not sure if or how well it would work. The New Oxford American is listed as a Kindle version for $34.00 on Amazon but is "not yet available". It's available but $60.00 on mobipocket. I like it on my Mac. I downloaded the free dictionary.com (no connection needed) app to my iPod Touch for now.

My jetBook is not always going off automatically as it is set to do in 3 minutes. The page stayed visible while I slept today and I am now getting a "low voltage, please recharge" pop up. It was fully charged yesterday afternoon.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-27-2009 at 01:13 AM.