Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo to take over from Google with ABA indie bookstores

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/kobo-links-aba.html
It will be interesting to see if this works where google failed but with a potential 400 + new outlets for Kobo devices to be bought in, it seems like a good commercial move for Kobo.
lecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
I notice the words "affiliate scheme".

Doesn't Google have both an "affiliate scheme" (akin to web-link revenue) with indies but also provide merchandise behind established indie web bookstores? I was under the impression that these were two distinct programs Google would be offering until the sunset. My credit card charges and emailed receipts currently come from my local indie store, not Google Books or Google Play, although they really are Google Books, available "in the cloud" from my Google Play account.

I read a ton of articles at the time Google announced the "divorce" with indies, and most were clear as mud, so I fretted about my own local. In general? Great news, btw. I patronize whoever does good by my local indie store, so once (if) this goes live with them, it's buh-bye, Google.

And I already have a Kobo Touch which I love.

[EDIT: Here's a blog article which clearly explains the two-tiered universe in Google/Indie bookstore land. The author understands what's CURRENTLY going on, and is confused about what life under Kobo is going to look like.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ils-are-vague/
]

Last edited by oj829; 08-29-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Found an article explaining the existing "affiliate" program.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
[EDIT: Here's a blog article which clearly explains the two-tiered universe in Google/Indie bookstore land. The author understands what's CURRENTLY going on, and is confused about what life under Kobo is going to look like.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ils-are-vague/
]
Interesting read, thank you.

If Kobo is successful getting devices into these stores, the partnership is more likely to be mutually successful IMO, but time will tell.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books, rdlecoeur