Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #1051
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjens View Post
Kguil, in my use of Marvin i noticed that i mostly navigate between my library and the book i am currently reading. This now takes several steps, book - home screen - library - home - book.

If you go from book to home you do that screen flip. Could you perhaps add a button to flip between book and library and back. Or introduce a swipe that does the same.
I, too, think this is a great idea, Kris.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #1052
larsF
larsF began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Concerning the font sharpness

Marvin is a great App for reading, the best by far.

One thing I would like to mention: The german iOS app "Thalia eReading" manages to display the text even a little sharper (on non-retina devices) than Marvin - the letters look a bit like embossed text (only works with In-App purchases).

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/thal...350742971?mt=8

Nevertheless the Thalia app lacks all the other wonderful features of Marvin.

If Marvin managed to display text like the "Thalia eReading" app, it would be absolutely outstanding!

Last edited by larsF; 03-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #1053
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsF View Post
manages to display the text even a little sharper (on non-retina devices) than Marvin
Sorry, but the issue there definitely lies in the device you use, not in Marvin. Judging by 2013 standards, non-Retina devices are simply outdated. Yes, it's bad of Apple to release a device (iPad Mini) with an obsolete screen as late as in the fall of 2012, but that's what happened. I can't wait to buy an iPad Mini; it would suit me perfectly, as a secondary tablet; but I've held off buying it precisely because its screen is not up to today's standards, as you are observing yourself now. I assure you that on my Retina-display iPad 3, the fonts in Marvin couldn't possibly be crisper!

While I applaud Kris for supporting old-generation devices such as iPad 1 (I still own one of them and use it daily), iPad 2 and iPad Mini, and I hope he will continue supporting them, if I were Kris, I wouldn't lose any sleep over fonts not being crisp enough when displayed on old-generation screens. The fonts aren't crisp enough, because the screens on those "legacy" devices are no longer good enough -- it's as simple as that.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #1054
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
maxjens, Philantrop - wouldn't you achieve the same thing if you open the book from the library (If you're expecting to do a lot of library-to-book flipping)? In the upcoming version you will be able to create a reading list in your library. That way you wouldn't need to browse a long selection of books to pick your next or current read).

larsF - Glad you like it. What you are describing almost certainly has to do with the fonts they're using. I had a look at Thalia and they seem to be using Adobe's Minion Pro and Myriad Pro fonts. I can't add them to Marvin (due to licensing issues). However, in a future version you'll be able to side load your own fonts.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #1055
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
maxjens, Philantrop - wouldn't you achieve the same thing if you open the book from the library (If you're expecting to do a lot of library-to-book flipping)? In the upcoming version you will be able to create a reading list in your library. That way you wouldn't need to browse a long selection of books to pick your next or current read).
If i open a book from the library, then i cannot go back easily to the library.i have to go back to home and then to library. So if i am looking for a book to read it can take up to 4 or 5 tries before i think yes this is the book. I would love a way to quickly switch back from my book to the library.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #1056
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:

larsF - Glad you like it. What you are describing almost certainly has to do with the fonts they're using. I had a look at Thalia and they seem to be using Adobe's Minion Pro and Myriad Pro fonts. I can't add them to Marvin (due to licensing issues). However, in a future version you'll be able to side load your own fonts.
I've got an iPad Mini. My reading experience is great. Faterson is right, the screen is not the best one out there but to me still very readable and the form factor is great. As kris has said in iPad Mini the font choice it's crucial. Gentium by SIL is by far the crispiest font using Marvin in iPad Mini. Gentium Book would be a great add-on too.

Last edited by humler; 03-25-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #1057
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
maxjens, Philantrop - wouldn't you achieve the same thing if you open the book from the library (If you're expecting to do a lot of library-to-book flipping)?
Kris, cf. my email. That would, indeed, fix the issue for me and, I think, maxjens, too.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1058
larsF
larsF began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Thanks, Kris. To me Euphemia is currently the best Font. When Using the Thalia app I prefer Verdana Or Trebuchet MS. The option to side load own Fonts sounds good!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1059
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

maxjens, Marvins behaviour should be:
- If you open a book from the home screen and go back you'll go back to the home screen.
- If you open a book from the library and go back you'll go back to the library.

Isn't this what you're seeing?

Right now, there is an annoyance where if you go back to the library, Marvin takes you back to the top of the list rather than remembering your vertical position. This is fixed in the upcoming version.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #1060
kguil
Addict

humler, yes, Gentium book is quite lovely. Soon you'll be able to add it in Marvin.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #1061
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
humler, yes, Gentium book is quite lovely. Soon you'll be able to add it in Marvin.
Great. Thanks, Kris. I am in love with Marvin!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #1062
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
maxjens, Marvins behaviour should be:
- If you open a book from the home screen and go back you'll go back to the home screen.
- If you open a book from the library and go back you'll go back to the library.

Isn't this what you're seeing?

Right now, there is an annoyance where if you go back to the library, Marvin takes you back to the top of the list rather than remembering your vertical position. This is fixed in the upcoming version.
True, that is what happens. In the situation that no book is opened, the only way back is through the homescreen.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #1063
kguil
Addict

Hi maxjens, I'm not following. If no book is opened, go back from where to where?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #1064
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hey Kris,
I've noticed a little bug...wasn't sure if someone mentioned it already or if there was somewhere else to post it...

When you increase the paragraph indent it shifts headers <h1-6> to the right as well. This results in chapter titles etc. being off center unless you have paragraph indent set to zero.

<p>s and <div>s that are styled as "text-align:center" remain positioned properly in the center - it is only the <h1-6> tags that get moved.

This happens in portrait and landscape; 1,2 or auto columns.

Versions: Marvin 1.3, ipad2 iOS 6.1.3

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #1065
kguil
Addict

Thanks Turtle. I'll look into it. Although I won't have time to fix this for 1.4 (the very next release), I'll schedule a fix for the following version.
Closed Thread