Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #91
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yay at getting a new one! But...

Oh my, 4 days!! That is horrible! You won't know until you've had a couple of full battery cycles though but still, doesn't look good

As for sideloaded epubs, see below.

I'm absolutely positive that battery drain can be caused by a data file. I tested myself, and I know that kepubs are read by loading a full chapter into cache to accommodate fast page turning. So the longer the chapter, the more has to be stored in cache and the more battery charge is used. I have found two badly formatted kepubs so far that had multiple chapters per chapter (so lots of missing chapter marks), causing a lot faster battery drain than expected, and Kobo acknowledged this and also gave me a refund for both books.

The epub version of the kepub drained the battery a lot less fast, so apparently either the epub reader is more efficient or an entire chapter isn't loaded to cache for epubs; I don't know how it works. So VelvetElvis, no, I don't think it's "just" sideloaded epubs that have these battery issues.

(If you'd like to try it out with kepubs: "Absolute Power" by David Baldacci and "Raven Black" by Ann Cleeves both lack a lot of chapter marks in the kobo store.)

And the sleep/off difference: yes, of course you'll get longer battery life if you power off instead of sleeping. But 4 days of battery life in sleep mode is ridiculous. And, comparing with my Touch: it's been on constant sleep mode now for 9.5 days, with a book loaded, and its battery is at 74%. That gives an estimate of 30 days of life in sleep mode.
Before firing off another email to Kobo, I did a factory reset, updated the firmware, again, and installed a book from the Kobo store. Then I let it sit. After a couple of promising days, I installed a single book (the same one I had on prior to the reset.) Still no problems.

Last night I installed 3 more. But when I disconnected/reconnected, then started Calibre, no books were to be found. Evidently it's a Calibre issue, so I'm hoping today's weekly update will fix that.

So it appears, for the time being, the rapid discharge issue is fixed. If We can get Calibre to find the books I loaded, and battery life begins to approach that of my Sony PRS-T1, We'll be happy campers. Based on my GF's Touch, and now Glo, I don't think it will quite achieve that.

Keep us posted on your Kobo replacement quest.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #92
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Before firing off another email to Kobo, I did a factory reset, updated the firmware, again, and installed a book from the Kobo store. Then I let it sit. After a couple of promising days, I installed a single book (the same one I had on prior to the reset.) Still no problems.

Last night I installed 3 more. But when I disconnected/reconnected, then started Calibre, no books were to be found. Evidently it's a Calibre issue, so I'm hoping today's weekly update will fix that.

So it appears, for the time being, the rapid discharge issue is fixed. If We can get Calibre to find the books I loaded, and battery life begins to approach that of my Sony PRS-T1, We'll be happy campers. Based on my GF's Touch, and now Glo, I don't think it will quite achieve that.
Ooh goodie! Glad to hear your new Glo's battery life is a lot better now. I hope it stays that way! And if so, it will get better still with a couple more empty/full battery cycles.
Quote:
Well I sent my 'bad' Glo on Monday, and it arrived a day late for some reason, on Wednesday. This is what the tracking code tells me... I haven't heard anything from Kobo and I'm finding that rather frightening because well, I want my Glo back! I have a Touch that sits next to me aaalll day but I'm having trouble picking it up because it's not my Glo I think I might send another email to Kobo asking for a status update. They did say "allow three weeks" for replacement, but they also said "upon receipt and inspection of" the Glo they'll ship a new one... So unless they're super busy and haven't got around to inspecting their received package yet, Dutch post should deliver a Glo to me today (Friday) Unless of course the replacement is sent from abroad. Gah, I didn't realise until now that might be the case. Then it could take ages
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #93
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I emailed Kobo on Saturday 3 Feb asking for a status update. I got an answer late last night... Apparently, their system didn't show that my Glo had been received by them (the system hadn't been update). So, if I hadn't sent the mail, I'd never have got my replacement! The kind Tier 2 person corrected the system and assured me a replacement will be sent within a few business days, and it will be sent from within the Netherlands so posting should only take a day. I'm hopeful I'll receive my new Glo this week!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #94
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So, if I hadn't sent the mail, I'd never have got my replacement!
Wow, it's good that you checked
Fingers crossed for you receiving the new one this week (and because you went through a lot already, this new Glo will be working like a champ, out of the box ).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #95
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Wow, it's good that you checked
Fingers crossed for you receiving the new one this week (and because you went through a lot already, this new Glo will be working like a champ, out of the box ).
Thank you Samhy! I hope you're completely right!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #96
Mrs_Often
Wizard

I was hoping to receive my replacement Glo today... but nope
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #97
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Still nothing. I sent my 'old' Glo 15 days ago. They received it 13 days ago. They corrected the fault in their system 8 days ago. They would send a replacement on receipt and inspection of the 'old' Glo. Both receipt and inspection have occurred... Posting *anything* takes 1 day to deliver in the Netherlands (and I did check: they're sending from the Netherlands). This means they did not send it last week. MAYBE they sent it yesterday, which would mean I'd receive it today. But I am not hopeful. I sent Kobo another mail last night.

Frankly I'm now fed up, disappointed and sad.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #98
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Still nothing. I sent my 'old' Glo 15 days ago. They received it 13 days ago. They corrected the fault in their system 8 days ago. They would send a replacement on receipt and inspection of the 'old' Glo. Both receipt and inspection have occurred... Posting *anything* takes 1 day to deliver in the Netherlands (and I did check: they're sending from the Netherlands). This means they did not send it last week. MAYBE they sent it yesterday, which would mean I'd receive it today. But I am not hopeful. I sent Kobo another mail last night.

Frankly I'm now fed up, disappointed and sad.
this is how bad customer service can spoil it - if they have decided to replace it, and corrected the system, surely they should have sorted it out by now!. I do hope you get it today, but if I were you I'd be tempted to go out, get another one from the shop, and return the replacement once it eventually arrives...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #99
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
this is how bad customer service can spoil it - if they have decided to replace it, and corrected the system, surely they should have sorted it out by now!. I do hope you get it today, but if I were you I'd be tempted to go out, get another one from the shop, and return the replacement once it eventually arrives...
Thanks for your reply. Indeed, this is how bad customer service spoils things. And going out and getting a new Glo is indeed what I've been thinking of doing. But I'm not sure how to return the replacement as it'll have a different serial number to the one I bought previously, so that would mean returning the new Glo I bought... but that will all cost postage as I don't have any shops near me that sell Kobo readers so I'd have to buy (and return) online.

I think I'll wait for the reply from Kobo to my last email and then decide what to do*. The tier 2 person there I'm in contact with is usually quick to reply. (Which is good, but also strangely/inefficiently organised as that person is in Canada (as far as I can tell) while my replacement is being organised here in the Netherlands.)

*I'd like to buy a new one and then throw the replacement I receive into Kobo's [virtual] nose!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #100
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I hope you'll have good news very soon.
Maybe it's taking longer than they were expecting because they know how to fix the issue and they will be able to give you back *your* device. (wishful thinking, but why not??? )

Anyway, don't forget how much you liked the Glo since the very beginning. Customer service had been helpful to you so far. So maybe there is a reason to explain the delay and all will turn out well before you know it
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #101
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks Samhy. You're so kind. I sincerely hope you're right! So far, the postman came and went today, no Glo, and no reply from Kobo
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #102
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thanks Samhy. You're so kind. I sincerely hope you're right! So far, the postman came and went today, no Glo, and no reply from Kobo
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #103
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Hee hee, thanks for being angry with me paola!

I got a reply late last night:

Quote:
Hi 'Mrs_Often',

We are truly sorry for the delay of your replacement.

Unfortunately, our facility in the Netherlands experienced an unexpected stock shortage of the model of your device which, based on the latest update from our supply team, has now been resolved.

Your replacement will ship within the next 2-3 business days and you will receive it shortly.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Well, I wonder. Great excuse. But very coincidental it has been resolved right when I complain (for the third time). Sure, it's probably true, but I'm fed up and yep they can thank me all they want for my understanding – but I have none left any more I'm afraid. I'm especially annoyed because I chose Kobo service over the service of the online place where I got it, thinking it would be faster. While the online place would have *come round* and picked my broken Glo up for free – instead I paid expensive insured postage to have Kobo mess things up

I don't really dislike Kobo. I'm just annoyed and disappointed.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #104
Mrs_Often
Wizard

So, the supposed stock shortage had been resolved has it?

The above mail was sent to me on Feb 12th. Allowing for 3 business days, my replacement should have been sent yesterday. Post in the Netherlands takes one day. I should have received my replacement today.

Nope. Nothing.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #105
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Careful Mrs. Often, a Kobo employee may read of your displeasure with another part of the company and not be able to do their job as well as a result of it... These poor people are only human and under such terrible stress. We must avoid negativity for the sake of negativity and endeavor to celebrate our fellow man despite our treatment at their hands.

Sorry, devil made me do it. I hope you get your properly working unit back soon -before you start having to bust heads.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-17-2013 at 03:24 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote