Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
iPhone 5 tear down

iFixit has posted a teardown of the iPhone 5, figured some here might be interested...

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
jennysimpson
jennysimpson began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I am still thinking whether to go for an iPhone 5 or would just keep my iPhone 4s, I have read several articles that discusses on how strict the new IOS 6 on the stuffs you didn't buy from iTunes.
jennysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennysimpson View Post
I am still thinking whether to go for an iPhone 5 or would just keep my iPhone 4s, I have read several articles that discusses on how strict the new IOS 6 on the stuffs you didn't buy from iTunes.
Google isn't cooperating, do you have more info on that?
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Good news included relative ease of disassembly and screen replacement access. I really hate the repair-proof battery-glued aspects of the Retina MBP. I'm boycotting that model.

Interesting news included the 338S1077 Cirrus ADC/DAC, which is probably not as good as the International S3's Wolfson but better than the DAC (Yamaha?) used in the Snapdragon S4 in Stateside S3 iterations and in International LTE models of most smartphones.

The design in the picture doesn't look like that of any Cirrus I've ever seen in an iPhone before. I don't have a clue what it's based on.

If its performance is like those of previous iPhone DACs, then it sounds the best in this generation of Stateside smartphones by default, which isn't saying all that much. For all I know, it could sound markedly better or worse.

I might opt for an S3 with a Fiio E7 DAC ($49 as opposed to $599 for portable iPhone DACs) -- the question will be whether I want to carry all that around. A lot depends on whether Google Maps can still be used (reliably) on the iP5. Maps will doubtless improve with updates over the next few years, but I'm not sublimating my travel time to beta software created due to corporate politics when we already have mature options.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maps are not working well in iOS 6
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
jennysimpson
jennysimpson began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
Google isn't cooperating, do you have more info on that?
what I meant is threads not articles sorry it was an honest mistake. Well I am now switching to iPhone 5, finally I made up my mind for my hubby wants my current phone.
jennysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyouth View Post
Maps are not working well in iOS 6
Just read Pogue's piece on the subject. Apparently, you're being incredibly tactful. And it turns out the only way one can go back to Google Maps might be through Safari.

That means I'll be picking up either a Galaxy S3, Note 2 or Nokia 920 (which is said to use Nokia's tested and praised map service) when the time comes depending on feedback on the last two. That, or I'll wait a tad longer to see whether there's a Nexus iteration of the S3.

Happened to play with the iP5 at a Sprint store and wasn't terribly impressed. It seems a tad limited compared to the S3 (though I don't love the look and feel of the latter's shell).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote