Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Chrome Browser and send to Kindle extension

Just found an extension on Chrome Browser called Send to Kindle. It puts a button on the toolbar so that if you are an a page with an article you want to read on your kindle later just click the button and send it. It works on a variety of news articles as well as blogs. In chrome go to chrome store and then extensions and search for it.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
There's also readibility. Result depends on how good they parse the web page.

But I'm not sure how much we should trust these type of apps. They can track everything from your browsers, that's kind of scary, is it?
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post

But I'm not sure how much we should trust these type of apps. They can track everything from your browsers, that's kind of scary, is it?
I've tried a few pages, my blog and a couple of AOL news stories and they appeared very readable.

Disable it after you send things to your kindle but this is from the site regarding privacy issues

1, Before sending articles to the Kindle, it need generate .mobi format file and then send to the Amazon.
As far as I know, this can not be implemented by JavaScript (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...nd-smtp-client)

2, Send to Kindle doesn't save the articles that user sent , doesn't track any sites that user browsed. If we provide online storage function, we will let user know and decide whether to save by themself.

3, Send to Kindle does not send "unsolicited messages" to user's Kindle, does not send "targeted advertising".
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Any site can put a cookie on your PC that will track your surfing habits and you not even know it.

I wouldn't worry about the Send To apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I've used Readability. It's great! Some web pages have such intrusive advertising.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Send To Kindle has me backed up with so many free short stories, I'll never be able to catch up.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
I've used Readability. It's great! Some web pages have such intrusive advertising.
The advantage for me is being able to read on the Kindle rather than the PC. Most nights I do several Send to Kindle clicks for reading on transit the next morning.

As for ads, viewing them is the main way we pay for such content, another being any revenue the sites get from tracking our behavior.* Since I already saw the ad on the site, there is no obligation to see it a second time on the Kindle. However, if the ads did come along, I'd have no objection.

What are the best web sites for Send to Kindle? I put longform.org as number one. Other ideas welcome.

* Longform.org, readability, www.klip.me, Instapaper, etc. know what town I live in, which might help in attracting advertisers. They do not know who I am, my home address, or what other web sites I go to.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-07-2011 at 07:30 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Any site can put a cookie on your PC that will track your surfing habits and you not even know it.

I wouldn't worry about the Send To apps.
I don't care if anyone track my surfing habits, advertise and profit accordingly.

Just curious if these kind of browser plug-in can do any harm like a typical spyware. Like, can it run in the background without you clicking it, and secretly phone home with your login/password?

I'm sure Readibility is a good one based on popularity and user reviews. Just a question in general and how cautious I need to be with other add-ons down the road. Thanks.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't care if anyone track my surfing habits, advertise and profit accordingly.

Just curious if these kind of browser plug-in can do any harm like a typical spyware. Like, can it run in the background without you clicking it, and secretly phone home with your login/password?

I'm sure Readibility is a good one based on popularity and user reviews. Just a question in general and how cautious I need to be with other add-ons down the road. Thanks.
They are just extensions not programs. It's just a script written in javascript. I always read the feedback on extensions before I install them. You can learn alot that way. I use FireFox for years and have never encounter issues. Now I have Chrome but only a few extensions installed on it but I read the feedback before I install what I do have. You should be fine as long as you read the details page of the extension and the feedback before installing.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
God, I've had to limit my Send to Kindle activity lately. Found so much stuff to read, and I'll probably never get to it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
God, I've had to limit my Send to Kindle activity lately. Found so much stuff to read, and I'll probably never get to it.
Exactly!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
"Send to Kindle" is one of the top extensions for the Kindle/Chrome browser......and I've used them all. It finds and formats the article from the web page very nicely....most times.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I must be going blind

I am trying to install "Send to Kindle" but when I go to the Manage Your Kindle I cannot find the link for "Your Kindle approved e-mail list" to add the email link.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I must be going blind

I am trying to install "Send to Kindle" but when I go to the Manage Your Kindle I cannot find the link for "Your Kindle approved e-mail list" to add the email link.
It's under Personal Documents settings.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Many thanks
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote