Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
wwang
Connoisseur
wwang began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX SmartQ 7
Upgrading from a palm TX to 7 inch screen?

I have a Palm TX.
I am ready to upgrade to something with a bit larger screen something in the 7 inch size. I have been very happy with the TX but the desire for a larger screen is calling me.

I currently do quite a few things. from reading quite a bit of RSS content. I don't think I could get by a day without the useof plucker and sunrise.

I also watch TV and movies on the Palm using TCMP. I read books.

I also browse the web live using 802.11b/g.

So who has a recommendation for the next device I should look at as the upgrade, that will not break the bank? I really would like something in the $500-$700 range, but am worried that is not going to be realistic. I have fallen in love with the touch screen so tablet PC is more the goal then a regular laptop. Also the battery life needs to last at least a single movie length and can go longer if I am reading books.

Is there a device currently as a solution to my delema?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwang View Post
I have a Palm TX.
I am ready to upgrade to something with a bit larger screen something in the 7 inch size. I have been very happy with the TX but the desire for a larger screen is calling me.

I currently do quite a few things. from reading quite a bit of RSS content. I don't think I could get by a day without the useof plucker and sunrise.

I also watch TV and movies on the Palm using TCMP. I read books.

I also browse the web live using 802.11b/g.

So who has a recommendation for the next device I should look at as the upgrade, that will not break the bank? I really would like something in the $500-$700 range, but am worried that is not going to be realistic. I have fallen in love with the touch screen so tablet PC is more the goal then a regular laptop. Also the battery life needs to last at least a single movie length and can go longer if I am reading books.

Is there a device currently as a solution to my delema?
Next month you can buy such a unit from http://www.laptop.org/ for $400 and $200 of that is tax deductible and will provide a second laptop to an overseas child.

Dale
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Next month you can buy such a unit from http://www.laptop.org/ for $400 and $200 of that is tax deductible and will provide a second laptop to an overseas child.

Dale
If you want more info, search this forum for OLPC. Most of the info is already here.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
UMPC Portal is the best single source for news on computers with 4" to 7" screens. Your best bet may be the Everun. It is above your $700 limit and has a 4.8" screen, but has the best battery life in the UMPC space. It runs Windows XP, and I suggest using FBReader for reading your Plucker files. The Pepper Pad 3 has a 7" screen and is within your price range. It runs Linux, but should do all you want (FBReader for plucker again). I am very happy with mine. Its battery life isn't all that good though, and it is very wide because of the built in keypad.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you want more info, search this forum for OLPC. Most of the info is already here.
But how much software is available for it? What popular eBook formats will it handle? The hardware looks very interesting, but it's not a lot of use if there's no software to actually do anything useful .
Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how much software is available for it? What popular eBook formats will it handle? The hardware looks very interesting, but it's not a lot of use if there's no software to actually do anything useful .
It is Linux so ports are likely to come quickly as it comes out next month. It ships with Evince. You can read about it on my ebook page. One of the major purposes is ebooks for 3rd world countries so the focus is that these are likely to be scanned files turned into PDF when Evince can read.

There is included software to do lots of useful things but perhaps not oriented to reading fiction books.

Dale