Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Rumor:Apple UMPC/TabletPC to be announced next week. Maybe.

Matt Miller has written some thoughts on how Robert Scoble's blog posts can be interpreted to mean "it is pretty clear from Scoble's first post that we can almost expect to see an Apple Tablet/UMPC device announced [at the upcoming World Wide Developers Conference]."

I've been waiting for a UMPC-like device at less than $1000 with 5 hour battery life and some sort of a case/keyboard combination that I can be happy with. Despite owning several Macintosh computers from the early days of Apple, I've never considered one recently. But if Apple does release a UMPC-like computer, and solves the battery, case and keyboard for me, I just might even be willing to go with a new platform. This is one rumor I really hope is true. The price is probably unlikely, but I might just even be willing to stretch that a bit. I just hope that much of the basic software I would need is open source if the device is expensive.

I wonder if such a device would, in general, be interesting to a mass market? I'm not exactly the typical consumer.

And remember... this is just a rumor!

Via jkOnTheRun.

Note:The image shows a "real" UMPC, of course, not the rumored Apple device.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
I don't think so.

As much as a machead like me would like to own some kind of MacTablet, I don't think it's likely to happen this year.

I'd expect a MacTablet to be smaller and lighter than an old iBook.
A lightweight system with a good weight / runtime ratio would need something else than OSX. I really love OSX but it would take the fulfillment time of an illiad-order to boot, eat up all your RAM and then empty the battery in minutes. And: OSX has not a Newton's UI.
So: No full-blown OSX on the MacTablet.

The only other OS Apple uses at the moment is Portal Players' on the iPod. Not a candidate for the MacTablet.

And then there was the Newton. Although I still own and use a Newton MP2K, I doubt that Apple secretly updated the Newton OS.

Maybe they'd somehow magically use the OSX-core and Newton OS UI and Libraries? I don't think so.

I instead expect to see an iPod-Nano with the capability to act as a bluetooth headset, which would be quite useful.
Though I'll wait wih ordering my illiad a few more days...

k2r
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A Mac UMPC...what a dream !
When I joined you guys I thought I fell in an Apple basher gang like so many others. I'm a fan of Mac since the 128k years.

Granted a UMPC will be a total machine but I'm still sad that we won't see a successor to Newton. He'd be a real contender in the ebook market...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bad news on the rumor front. Brighthand is reporting on an article from DVD Newsroom with information from a "confirmed" Apple insider.
Quote:
A. Any truth to an Apple Tablet?

Q. Prototyped of course. Price is the issue, without cannibalizing the MacBook. The ideal price is $599. But it’d cost too much to make. Take an average guy visiting an Apple Store at his local mall. If he had to choose between a $1099 MacBook or tablet, the MacBook would win. A tablet is too niche at that price – only the Apple elite would buy. We’re becoming generalists and the Apple Store supports that strategy. Generalists with superior products.
Bummer. If that's real, then probably no Apple tablet in the near term.
Quote:
Q. Before we talk about Blu-ray. One word: iPhone?

A. No. Of course, Apple is exploring wireless options, integrating cell and iPod technology. Don’t expect anything soon.
So no i-Phone soon either.

How disappointing!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Matt Miller has written some thoughts on how Robert Scoble's blog posts can be interpreted to mean "it is pretty clear from Scoble's first post that we can almost expect to see an Apple Tablet/UMPC device announced [at the upcoming World Wide Developers Conference]."
Um, right.

I read Scoble's posts in question, and Matt is really, really grasping here.

These rumor postings are getting ridiculous. They really amount to little more on Scoble's part than "Nyah Nyah, I know something you don't!". Seriously, there is no substance there.

Why not just wait for the keynote on Monday? Then we can hold the hands of everyone sorely disappointed at the lack of a Mac Tablet, iPhone, new iPods, or whatever. And let's not get too irritated if the Intel PowerMacs don't ship the same day.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
If its a MacTablet that uses Intel cpu, I'll get it and try my luck at installing WindowsXP or linux onto it!
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
A mac tablet should be a mix of iLiad, NewtonOS, and Hypercard. Were I Jobs, I would wait to see how the iLiad and the Reader impact in the market, then get an agreement with Xerox for the Gyricon patent to gain independence from e-ink, and meanwhile to move in the internal front to recover the old hypertext developers of the Apple world.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote