Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
I just got my upgraded PRS-500 back from Sony

I received my upgraded PRS-500 from Sony this morning. Here's the first few observations:

1) None of the content was missing. All my books were still there.

2) So, apparently, LRF and LRX are still supported.

3) The menus on the reader (books by author, date...) now have alphabetical submenus (A-C, etc.)

4) I don't see any particular difference in speed or behavior except that when I call up a book or change font size, at least for the first time, there is a "formatting" process that takes place for several seconds.

5) There is still no support for the Mac. I tried installing the Library software for Mac, but the Reader is not recognized by the software. (I run the PC software in Parallels under Windows XP.)

I just installed Library 3.01 for the first time, so I haven't really tried out anything new other than putting an ePub file onto the Reader, which worked fine.

So, the very preliminary news that that nothing bad happens to the Reader with the upgrade. I'll report on anything more I discover if there is anything else to report.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
addepalli1
addepalli1 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS 500, Kindle DX
So when did u send it...

I sent my PRS the very next day. Do they send some kind of info stating when it is shipped and all...
addepalli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I sent my reader out last Monday. It took exactly a week to get back to me. I did receive a UPS shipping email on Friday saying that it was coming. The Sony service website never did catch up with the story...
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So how well does the ePub work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Bet it's still not fully justifyable?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Congrats!

And yes, can you be so kind, try a ePub document and check if the 500 new upgrade supports its text justified?

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
rwsimon
Connoisseur

I've loaded two ePub documents. Neither is justified. Also, the pagination is quite odd. It appears to be creating its pages from larger pages. Hence, for example, it shows page 8, then page 8-9, then page 9, and so forth.

Is this the way these documents work on 505's and such, or is this an artifact of the limitations of the 500? Fairly strange...
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
It appears to be creating its pages from larger pages. Hence, for example, it shows page 8, then page 8-9, then page 9, and so forth.
This is normal for Adobe Digital Editions, by default a "page" is 1024 characters long, so a page can be multiple screens.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
It appears to be creating its pages from larger pages. Hence, for example, it shows page 8, then page 8-9, then page 9, and so forth.

Is this the way these documents work on 505's and such, or is this an artifact of the limitations of the 500? Fairly strange...

This is the same manner in which all ADE devices (including the 505) generate page numbers. The reporting, however, (e.g., "Page 8-9 of nnn") was altered in the last 505 update so that it would only report one page number (e.g., "Page 8 of nnn").
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the 500 actually has a slightly newer version of ADE then the 505.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I received my upgraded PRS-500 from Sony this morning
HOORRRAAAYYYY!!!! I'm really glad for you. I'm hopeful for the rest of old die-hards who have held on to our 500's and sent them in that they will return as quickly. I sent mine in last Wednesday, but I bet it won't return until after Thanksgiving. (hope I'm wrong)

Also go to know that my books will still be there. Now if we can just get the BIOS flash updated to return the joystick function and clock, all will be right with the world.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've taken off all the books as some I will be putting back on won't be LRF any longer but ePub.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the 500 actually has a slightly newer version of ADE then the 505.
Actually, without having seen the updated 500, I interpret the comment to mean that it has a slightly older version of ADE. Split/hyphened page numbers and no justification.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Actually, without having seen the updated 500, I interpret the comment to mean that it has a slightly older version of ADE. Split/hyphened page numbers and no justification.
The 505 has no justification and no split/hyphened page numbers. The split/hyphened pages are newer then what the 505 has. The 600 & 300 have it. Not sure of the 700.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
Now if we can just get the BIOS flash updated to return the joystick function and clock, all will be right with the world.
What functions are you referring to? These are things which were removed?
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote