Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
PDF to MOBI - All hyphens removed

I have a very basic PDF - just text, no headers/footers/images. Caliber does a good job of converting it to Mobi except that it's removing every single hyphen. I have the conversion set to the defaults.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks!
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sticky: Read this before Posting PDF Questions
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read through the sticky before I posted and I'm not sure how it helps me. . .
Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Are you sure the PDF is actually text, or is it, like many "text" PDFs, composed of an image of text, with a layer of OCR for searching purposes? It can sometimes be hard to distinguish the two.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I read through the sticky before I posted and I'm not sure how it helps me. . .
You probably missed the point of the sticky: 'Converting from PDF is fraught with unresolvable issues like yours'

PDF uses odd characters in places.
PDF is a 'paste up' page format. Paste down some pictures, now past some body text. Now paste Large Caps, Now paste corrections.

The order does not matter (to PDF), because PDF is making a PAGE.

OTOH Conversion expects a Top to Bottom feed, there is no place it here
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #6
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

I just tried converting the PDF to an RTF and then a TXT file, and both those conversions kept the hyphens.

When I convert to MOBI or EPUB, the hyphens vanish.

So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the PDF. Calibre can recognize the hyphens in the PDF. Calibre, however doesn't output the hyphens to a MOBI or EPUB.

Last edited by ManosHandsOfFate; 05-10-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-10-2015, 02:15 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I just tried converting the PDF to an RTF and then a TXT file, and both those conversions kept the hyphens.

When I convert to MOBI or EPUB, the hyphens vanish.

So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the PDF. Calibre can recognize the hyphens in the PDF. Calibre, however doesn't output the hyphens to a MOBI or EPUB.
@ManosHandsOfFate - perhaps they are not regular hyphens, maybe they're non-breaking hyphens or em-dashes or some such thing

Convert to EPUB, and have a look at the actual character, quickest way would be to use the calibre book-editor and have a look via the Tools->Reports->Characters.

Maybe the font or the reader you're using doesn't support the what you think is a hyphen - if they're not regular hyphens you can 'fix them up' in the editor and convert the EPUB to MOBI.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@ManosHandsOfFate - perhaps they are not regular hyphens, maybe they're non-breaking hyphens or em-dashes or some such thing

Convert to EPUB, and have a look at the actual character, quickest way would be to use the calibre book-editor and have a look via the Tools->Reports->Characters.

Maybe the font or the reader you're using doesn't support the what you think is a hyphen - if they're not regular hyphens you can 'fix them up' in the editor and convert the EPUB to MOBI.

BR
Well in the Calibre EPUB editor the hyphens are still missing from the text. When I ran the character report it said there were 83 instances of "HYPHEN-MINUS" however when I started looking through them, they were all just in the markup tags (e.g. encoding='utf-8')

Thanks for your help. Since the conversion was so consistent about removing the hyphens for only mobi and epub files I thought maybe there was just a setting I couldn't find.

I think it's best if I just read this through the PDF.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Its hard to resolve without having the original PDF, as you know PDF is a 'pig' to convert. FWIW I am not aware of anything in calibre's PDF converter that could cause this problem - but I don't use it that much.

If you use Windows you could try the MobiPocket Creator tool (there's a link in PDF Conversion sticky) to create HTML or PRC, and convert that to EPUB and look at in editor (and Sigil for a 2nd opinion if you're inclined).

If the PDF is not copyright protected you could post it here and I'll see if I can work it out. Or you could attach it to a Bug Report here ==>> Bugs : calibre and mark it Private and perhaps a developer can help.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote