Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #31
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Backlight.
Backlight.
Backlight.
Backlight.
Backlight.
Backlight.....

Wireless.

Lots of space.

Decent battery life but doesn't have to be spectacular. About like my ebookwise-1150.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #32
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
The device I'm dreaming about:

It's black and white (I think it's easier on the eyes and I don't want to pay for color).

e-ink or similar: not backlit, not LCD, won't hurt my eyes no matter how long I look at it.

Has a nice case to protect the screen, that I don't have to pay an extra $50 for. Ideally comes with a little clip-on front-lighting reading light.

Either 6" like most of what's out there, or A5 so I can read half an A4 page. I'll certainly pay more for the larger one, but I don't know how much more, and right now I'd probably just assume buy the 6" version. If it's not touch screen and I'm really *only* reading books on it (which is what it's meant for), then a larger screen's only advantage is in viewing A4 formated PDF files. If it's going to have the large screen, it should probably be something like the iliad but maybe with more refined software, and be able to write notes etc like the iliad, and surf the web and do my taxes ... and ... well, ... the iliad type device just seems like a different product and different question. It's more than an ebook reader. We're just talking about dream ebook readers here.

HTML, TXT, PDF, MP3, DOC, open office doc, RTF, one or two ebook-specific txt formats, every other normal open txt format you can think of, and zip, and rar, and maybe even tar.gz.

Preferably with mobipocket support, but I don't consider DRM support to be critical. I just a "nice to have" feature, but it's probably on most people's "must have" list.

Can lookup a word from a book in a chosen dictionary file (presumably by selecting with a 4-way directional button like on the cybook).

Can search for a quote (maybe an online keyboard navigated by a directional key? I'm not talking about typing an essay on the thing, just entering a few words).

Can store unlimited bookmarks.

Can highlight (underline?) sections of a book (presumably selecting text with some kind of directional navigation key). This would sort of just be a variation on bookmarking.

All the formatting (font size, margins, etc), can be adjusted easily for any ebook opened (unless of course it's PDF, or if some wacky DRM thing prevents it).

Can legitimately handle large SD (or similar) cards without disrupting performance.

It has a USB port and I can easily just plug the thing in to copy books to it, as well as just copying books onto the SD card. I don't want any kind of wireless... I see that as a waste of money, battery life, etc.

It supports folders. With ebook-specific file formats it can sort book lists by title, author, etc. It would be nice if there was some kind of "tagging" of ebooks too like in delicious.

Long battery life (a couple of weeks seems normal here), preferably using fairly standard batteries that are cheaply replaceable (for example, the hanlin uses fairly standard nokia-type phone batteries). I know the battery life on these things is long and I won't be changing batteries regularly, but if I own it for a couple of years eventually the battery will stop holding charge. It happens. I don't want to 3 years from now be faced with a decision of either upgrading to a new device and throwing the old one in a drawer, or paying $50 to replace the battery.

It doesn't say "not supported outside the US" on it.

It supports unicode fonts. Specifically, I'm interested in Chinese. I'm not satisfied with "it works in PDF files." Maybe it would have some kind of "fonts" folder where I can easily add fonts too.

The company selling it doesn't give me the impression of a fly-by-night operation. like, presumably they should have a web page, and that web page at least shouldn't have lots of dead links on it.

I can look at it, hand someone $300, and own it.

Baring actually being able to buy the thing with cash: I can pay with a credit card and have it ship within a week. There are good reviews on the internet, and the company seems to have been responsive to the issues of it's customers as reflected by postings on boards like this one.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #33
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Linux/Open Source

Support for non-DRM formats

Screen: e-ink at least A5 size

USB port

Decent memory and/or memory card slot

A small keyboard for fast and convenient search and note taking

Ability to make bookmarks and text search

Reasonable boot time and battery life (unlike Irex Iliad)
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote