Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Nook Tablet Leaked

Several sites are reporting details of the Nook Tablet, from Engadget:
Quote:
the Nook Tablet will end up being a dead-ringer for the Nook Color that already exists. What we're looking at is a 7-inch VividView IPS color touchpanel with a 1024 x 600 screen resolution (that's 169 pixels per inch), a 1.2GHz dual-core OMAP4 processor, 1GB of RAM, dimensions of 8.1- x 5- x 0.48-inches, 16GB of inbuilt storage, a microSD expansion slot, roughly eight hours of battery life with WiFi switched off
Price is $249. The Nook Color price is reduced to $199 and Nook Simple Touch price drops to $99.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Not sure if that's going to beat the Kindle Fire at $50 less, unless it does something that the Fire doesn't.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Better specs but more expensive, without the Amazon "ecosystem".. I wish the Fire had these specs.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
16GB of inbuilt storage
I wonder how much of the space will be locked up for B&N content only this time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Better specs but more expensive, without the Amazon "ecosystem".. I wish the Fire had these specs.
It's not quite as fast as the Nook but the jump rom 512 to 1g isn't that huge of a difference. More storage is nice, but you can expand. I have 32g card in my phone and have the thing loaded with content and still have room. So, I think 8 or 16g probably won't matter much to most people. I have a hunch most people won't use up the 8g or space (depending on how much is free to begin with).
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Also, lowered (updated?) the Nook Simple Touch to $99.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One difference Amazon's new line up made is on price, in September from The Digital Reader:
Quote:
I have, in my hot little hands, a slide that may have been used in that planning meeting. Here’s what it says:

Nook EPD
Smart Touch $139

Nook Color
Encore $249
Acclaim $349
The Encore is the Nook Color and the Acclaim the Nook Tablet. It isn't unusual for prices to change before a product is released, but a $100 drop in price is gong to cut into the per tablet profit.

The Smart Touch is their internal name for the Simple Touch, and I wonder if they are doing any more than breaking even on the Simple Touch at $99. This is probably the best deal on 6" EInk readers in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
It's not quite as fast as the Nook but the jump rom 512 to 1g isn't that huge of a difference. More storage is nice, but you can expand. I have 32g card in my phone and have the thing loaded with content and still have room. So, I think 8 or 16g probably won't matter much to most people. I have a hunch most people won't use up the 8g or space (depending on how much is free to begin with).
The Kindle Fire doesn't have a card slot. It means you're stuck with 8 GB, or more like 6GB, which is a very small amount of storage imo. I know some people are fine with it, but on my iPhone I have 16GB for the cheaper model and find that 16 is about as low as I'm willing to go.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I wonder if it will follow the NC by being bootable from the SD card. That to me is the NC's greatest feature. It makes the use of custom ROMs both trivial and safe.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I see it as dead even between the Fire and the New Nook Color.

Looking at the significant differences for most people,

The Nook has more memory and a SD card slot,
and costs $50 more for a total $250 cost.

Amazon is $200.

It will come down to those who don't like Amazon will buy the Nook IF THEY CAN AFFORD THE EXTRA $50.

Unless there is something else, I won't buy either.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I see it as dead even between the Fire and the New Nook Color.
Certainly close...

Looking at the significant differences for most people,

Quote:
The Nook has more memory and a SD card slot,
and costs $50 more for a total $250 cost.
The Nook is also faster (noticeable for books with a complicated layout such as technical books) and has Netflix and Hulu support (in addition to the standard ePub marketplace vs. Kindle).

Quote:
Amazon is $200.

It will come down to those who don't like Amazon will buy the Nook IF THEY CAN AFFORD THE EXTRA $50.
The Nook Color is also $200 (and may or may not support Netflix).

Amazon, however, has the Amazon Video-On-Demand service and (less important to me as I have a phone) Audible support.

Quote:
Unless there is something else, I won't buy either.
The Nook Tablet is definitely aimed at the tech-spec buyer. If you simply read novels and want to watch a movie on occasion, the Nook Color is fine.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
The Kindle Fire doesn't have a card slot. It means you're stuck with 8 GB, or more like 6GB, which is a very small amount of storage imo. I know some people are fine with it, but on my iPhone I have 16GB for the cheaper model and find that 16 is about as low as I'm willing to go.
No card slot on the Fire? That seems odd. I just assumed it would have a slot. I never intended to buy tablet-like reader but that could be a deal breaker for some people.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I wonder if they are doing any more than breaking even on the Simple Touch at $99. This is probably the best deal on 6" EInk readers in the US.
I'm curious, what is its advantage over the $79 Kindle NT or the $99 Kindle Touch. Are you discounting them because of the ads?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'm curious, what is its advantage over the $79 Kindle NT or the $99 Kindle Touch. Are you discounting them because of the ads?
There are many advantages. The Nook has the best balance I've seen in a book reader with its wide side bezel and its shaped, rubberized back so you can get a good grip on the reader. It supports ePub which gives access to current books from a wider variety of bookstores. It has a virtually unlimited memory space through its SD card slot. And yes, the screen savers is an important issue to me.

It should be up to me to decide if I want an "Alfred E. Newman for President" poster, my favorite book cover or a homemade "This Space for Rent" sign on my book when it's asleep. I don't like most of the dead poet images on the Kindle screen and even less having to go around pimping products from Amazon.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
IMO the greatest advantage is the ability to root it and run much more than standard reader apps.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote