Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sorry. But just sometimes you need to poke that guy in the seat next to you.
That's it! We're going back home. Just wait 'til your father gets home!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #32
Mortuum
Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Pocketbook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Consider this:

-1st there were DRM music
- Now music is DRM free
- Ebooks are still DRM
- Until when?

I haven't dug myself into the background of all this and how the industry works but in your best knowledge how long we will have to use DRM ebooks?
Until people will still accept this sh** which is useless, cost a lot and can be unDRMised easily xD
Well I don't buy any books which have DRM. I am not the only one.
Mortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #33
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not a British or a US only forum. It's a world wide forum. So, you have to go with the World's majority and the majority worldwide is ePub.
Quite an extraordinary statement as the self-described largest seller of epubs (B&N) doesn't even sell out of the US. Google Books is not available in many countries.

Since Amazon has no fear of customers beyond its borders, it's more logical to assume that mobi is the "majority worldwide".
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #34
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why would they stop using DRM ?
People keep buying DRM'ed books so they don't have any real incentive to stop taking us for fools.

Quote:
Consider this:

-1st there were DRM music
- Now music is DRM free
- Ebooks are still DRM
- Until when?

I haven't dug myself into the background of all this and how the industry works but in your best knowledge how long we will have to use DRM ebooks?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #35
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You miss the point.
You may remove DRM's from your e-books but the point is you keep on buying DRM'ed books thus the publishers have no reason to stop annoying you with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
What DRM? All of my books are DRM free thanks to Alf.
Apache
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #36
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have Data. Locked in a box next to Lore. Lore thinks that the fact that the DRM is so easy to strip due to a lack of commitment. Data thinks that the publishers are afraid to get too intrusive with the DRM lest the average consumer get ticked off at additional hassles.

I think that I locked them both back in the box.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #37
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Quite an extraordinary statement as the self-described largest seller of epubs (B&N) doesn't even sell out of the US.
Actually, B&N do now sell in the UK (http://uk.nook.com/). They haven't been here long, though, maybe a year?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #38
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I got the secret lingo about Alf. However, I have a little problem with it. Does he have a support forum or something? I know it's not quite appropriate to discuss him here in great detail.

Last edited by avid01; 06-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #39
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Don't forget DRM in Games. Although that trend is dying out. With the upcoming PlayStation 4, hopefully it will get this trend out of the way completely.

As for your epub reader/ kindle discussion, I don't think any of you have any real data (just as me).
However, imo, the very fact that amazon sells its product to 140 countries over the world, while kobo and nook don't, points to jgaiser and HarryT being on the right track.

If an average joe wants to buy an ereader, kindle is the easiest choice.
I'm not arguing it's the best one. That's relative.

Last edited by Geralt; 06-14-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #40
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I got the secret lingo about Alf. However, I have a little problem with it. Does he have a support forum or something? I know it's not quite appropriate to discuss him here in great detail. Pls. PM me if that's more appropriate.
Google 'Apprentice Alf' and all shall be revealed
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Google 'Apprentice Alf' and all shall be revealed
I am familiar with him. What I need is his tech support forum.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am familiar with him. What I need is his tech support forum.
Same place you got the tools from. Leave a comment on the blog.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortuum View Post
Until people will still accept this sh** which is useless, cost a lot and can be unDRMised easily xD
Well I don't buy any books which have DRM. I am not the only one.
You're harming only yourself through that course of action. Publishers don't care (because they don't know that you're not buying their books because of DRM - or do you write and tell them?), and you're denying yourself the pleasure of reading books that you'd otherwise buy. Who is losing except you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #44
Mortuum
Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Mortuum is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Pocketbook touch
Don't worry I don't deny myself to read book. I know good publisher which are DRM free. And i just said I don't buy DRM ebooks. Not that I don't read.

Don't need to tell them (well in small publisher yes sure). They will not change this sh*** practice if people are agreed to pay 15e for an ebooks with DRM. Why should they?
Mortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #45
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not in Britain, Jon. Amazon totally dominates here. Different market to the US. I know lots of people with readers. Every single one is a Kindle.
I've seen a more even split between Kindle, Kobo & Sony, went to york last week & the only other 2 people I saw with readers had a Red Sony 650 & an iPad. How I laughed at their overpriced reading devices (OK, so I had the Pyrus mini with me, damn think looks like a fisher price toy, got to feel superior about something right )

I have not seen many Nooks in the wild yet, but that may change after the recent fire sale.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote