Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
nodje
nodje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Replacing screen on Kindle3 changes the serial

I got my Kindle3 replaced twice by Amazon as they broke, and I realized it was indeed only the screen that broke.

I could get my hand on new Kindle3 screens and have been able to replace them easily.

The thing is, when you turn a Kindle on after the replacement, the serial change.
Im not too sure if this happens when you power it down when removing the battery or if the device has a smart system that can recognize that the screen is not the same.
I suspect it's just the battery.

Anyway, my problem is the new serial is not registrable anymore.

Has anyone been able to hack the serial generation?
Is this happening also when changing other part of the Kindle?

Any experience sharing appreciated.

PS: If you need some spare parts, they're all coming from China and available online: alibaba.com
nodje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The serial number is NOT stored in the screen. It is in the idme vars stored in the mmc.

Getting your Kindle 3 replaced by Amazon WILL change the serial number, however.

What made you think that it changed while replacing the screen?

Did you also replace the motherboard?

Could you be confusing it with a serial number from one of the kindles that you had replaced by Amazon?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
nodje
nodje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
correct, Amazon has most probably replaced the serial of my actual, registered, broken Kindle with the new one they were ship[ping to me.

thanks for the clarification.

It means the repaired Kindle are now blacklisted and have no mean to get registered again.

I've looking up your 'keywords' idme vars and mmc, which were unknown
to me, and have been happy to find some of your highly useful post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Does it seem feasible to change the serial in the idme var to the one of the legit registered Kindle, so that multiple Kindles could sync with a single Amazon account?
nodje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodje View Post
correct, Amazon has most probably replaced the serial of my actual, registered, broken Kindle with the new one they were ship[ping to me.

thanks for the clarification.

It means the repaired Kindle are now blacklisted and have no mean to get registered again.

I've looking up your 'keywords' idme vars and mmc, which were unknown
to me, and have been happy to find some of your highly useful post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Does it seem feasible to change the serial in the idme var to the one of the legit registered Kindle, so that multiple Kindles could sync with a single Amazon account?
To register, the serial and mac address must both be in amazon's database record for your kindle. You would also need to change the mac address.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Plus, the screen does have a serial number.
Not the "serial number" displayed for the machine.
The K3's diagnostics mode has an entry to display these numbers and to change at least some of them (maybe not the sreen's identification number).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
geekmaster

The screen, motherboard, and optional 3g modem have identification numbers that are not used for registration purposes. According to what an Amazon tech told me, only the serial and mac address idme vars are used.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
using the mac is pretty standard. linking to a likely broken device seems a little too dim a choice.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Everything is feasible.
Application is another thing entirely.
"Good idea", again should be considered...

I would probably list this under "bad ideas".
Just my thoughts on it.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
But why?

Amazon already allows multiple Kindles on a single Amazon account to share e-books.
There is a limit, you would have to check if that is too low for your use.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote