Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Looking for some classics with engravings

Hi guys,

i'm starting to read some old old readings, anyone knows the best books with engravings, using the old techniques... so guessing i m looking for books in the 16, 17, maybe earlier.

Also, i'm looking for books with hidden messages, either hidden in engravings or within the text itself... yes again old books. In the time of the inquisition there must of been such volumes... anyway starting to make a collection of strange readings, hope you guys can help!

I already checked sacred-text.com and they do have some great stuff... just looking for some more ideas !

thanks!
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Check the wiki, there are links there to places like the LOC, NYPL, etc that have good online rare book sections...

Also, for something hidden, this isn't exactly what you were looking for but, you might want to take a look at fore-edge paintings. His are obvious new work, but if you google you can find originals... The images only appear when the pages are fanned...

I guess another 'hidden message' old text would be the Voynich manuscript... If you can decipher that one I think the CIA would have a job waiting for you...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Check the wiki, there are links there to places like the LOC, NYPL, etc that have good online rare book sections...

Also, for something hidden, this isn't exactly what you were looking for but, you might want to take a look at fore-edge paintings. His are obvious new work, but if you google you can find originals... The images only appear when the pages are fanned...

I guess another 'hidden message' old text would be the Voynich manuscript... If you can decipher that one I think the CIA would have a job waiting for you...

-MJ
Thanks i will check those places, concerning new work there was the club Dumas that was interesting, jut made myself a ebook... took a long time with all those engravings ! Also in my ounger age i read the sorcery collection but thats more of a gamebook but still fund memories !

thanks for the reply i ll check that manuscript!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Go to your Sony store and click on the link to Google books. I think you will enjoy the bookplates, engravings, etc on many of the older books.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
-MJ
Sorry...can't resist...immediately thought of MAD magazine...

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Sorry...can't resist...immediately thought of MAD magazine...

Mel
Heh, no problem... I think that was one of the main reasons I picked the magazine up when I was a kid...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Go to your Sony store and click on the link to Google books. I think you will enjoy the bookplates, engravings, etc on many of the older books.
Thanks, i'm already downloading from there ! Only thing i hate about the software is its slw (probably java based) and the search engine is antiquated at best. Still found some interesting stuff, but its hard to find the jewels among the rocks . Found a particular enteresting copy of Dante's Inferno and Miltons Paradise Lost with great engravings. Anyway if anyone has any ideas let me know !