Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
How to get around corporate greed at Amazon?

I was reading peoples' votes for books to go into the Top 100 in another thread somewhere.

Based on that, I decided I'd like to read Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck.

I went to the Kindle Store, and they want $9.99 for it. "That'll be a cold day in hell." I said to myself. Amazon is selling the print version of the same book for only $0.41 more, and a "Centennial Edition" for $11 and some change.

I bet I can find this at Barnes & Noble or Borders for a lot less in paperback; maybe in the $5 range?

But I'd like to have it electronically, since I'm not sure I'd ever read it again. I suppose it is impossible to buy it in PDF format elsewhere? It is not a New York Times Best Seller, and I was a bit surprised that it is not public domain yet.

If I can't find it for less at a local shop, I'm tempted to just buy the one for $10.40 online, and make them pay for the physical book as well as free shipping, just to make it more expensive for them. I bet they have a way of tracking when a Kindle customer buys a print book.

Maybe used on ebay or something?

How do you guys handle this?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well for me if it's a book I really want I'll pay the $9.99 (BTW the ebook of that particular book is more expensive than that at most other sellers).

If I don't want it that bad I just won't buy it. It would take special circumstances for me to consider buying a pbook and if I did I'd probably look for it used first.

You could always get it from the Library (provided you have access to one).

Not sure how Amazon is greedy.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-30-2009 at 03:01 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I just don't understand this attitude. Of course I hate paying over the odds for an ebook, and like many folk here will avoid buying an ebook if the paper version is cheaper.

But by what stretch of the imagination can charging high prices be called "corporate greed"?

If a different vendor came along and started selling their product much more cheaply, wouldn't they be just as "greedy" by your definition? After all, the only reason they would do that would be to sell more books and therefore make more money. How is that type of greed different from the type you are complaining about?

Why not accept the fact that you not obliged to buy a product if you consider it too expensive. This has got nothing to do with greed. It's just the old story: the "right" price is the lowest price that will give the seller a profit and the highest price a customer is willing to pay. I think you'll find it's called capitalism.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mike, Brian - I consider them greedy because they price is very high for a classic, and way out of line with the prices of other classics. For the paperback to be priced at $10.40 and the eBook to be priced at $9.99, doesn't that seem out of line, driven by greed? Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of supply & demand. But I suspect the price is high because this is assigned reading to a lot of school kids. School kids order it because they have to. Amazon knows this, and has decided to screw them on the price.

Just because their business will (apparently) tolerate this doesn't make it right.

Lastly, I'm hoping that this thread makes us hesitate just a moment before paying full price for something that ought not to be full price.

If it is OK with you, then by all means pay the $9.99.

Brian - I love how you revised your post to add that last line 1 minute after Mike posted. Thanks for the library tip though, it is a good one. We shouldn't forget that old stand-by, while we still have it.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Deleted

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-30-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Stealing is wrong.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
JeremyZ
Addict

Thanks DixieGal. I'll start my soul-searching now, before I go to the library.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Mike, Brian - I consider them greedy because they price is very high for a classic, and way out of line with the prices of other classics. For the paperback to be priced at $10.40 and the eBook to be priced at $9.99, doesn't that seem out of line, driven by greed?
I'm not thrilled by all the prices for ebooks either, but as I said Amazon is one of the cheapest places for this ebook (B&N is the only place I saw cheaper). The publisher is the one that decided to set the list price of the ebook at $16. What Amazon pays for it is determined by that list price.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For the paperback to be priced at $10.40 and the eBook to be priced at $9.99, doesn't that seem out of line, driven by greed?
Out of line. Maybe? Driven by greed? No.

What if the prices were reversed. Would a $10.40 paperback be "driven by greed"?

I'm sorry, but just because you don't like the price, that doesn't make the vendor greedy.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
What about used bookstores?? Maybe a bargain to be had there?
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
JeremyZ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Out of line. Maybe? Driven by greed? No.

What if the prices were reversed. Would a $10.40 paperback be "driven by greed"?

I'm sorry, but just because you don't like the price, that doesn't make the vendor greedy.

Amazon could probably turn a nice profit by selling the eBook versions for $4.99. Therefore, asking $9.99 for them is greed, IMO. That should mean a lot, coming from an American. (since we are notoriously capitalistic) Maybe not right or wrong, but definitely greedy.

Now if it is true that the publisher is selling them to Amazon for something a lot closer to $9.99, then I'm just wrong. But I don't think that's the case.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I just don't understand this attitude. Of course I hate paying over the odds for an ebook, and like many folk here will avoid buying an ebook if the paper version is cheaper.

But by what stretch of the imagination can charging high prices be called "corporate greed"?

If a different vendor came along and started selling their product much more cheaply, wouldn't they be just as "greedy" by your definition? After all, the only reason they would do that would be to sell more books and therefore make more money. How is that type of greed different from the type you are complaining about?

Why not accept the fact that you not obliged to buy a product if you consider it too expensive. This has got nothing to do with greed. It's just the old story: the "right" price is the lowest price that will give the seller a profit and the highest price a customer is willing to pay. I think you'll find it's called capitalism.
agreed in general, great remarks, except this is a legal monopoly. goodbye free market and goodbye capitalism.
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Amazon could probably turn a nice profit by selling the eBook versions for $4.99. Therefore, asking $9.99 for them is greed, IMO.
They would almost certainly be taking a loss at $4.99 based upon what the book costs them from the publisher. If there is any greed involved, direct your anger at the publisher.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
agreed in general, great remarks, except this is a legal monopoly. goodbye free market and goodbye capitalism.
In what sense is it a monopoly? Is someone forcing you to buy your reader from Amazon, as opposed to Sony or any of the others? And even if you did buy a Kindle, what law says you have to buy your books from the Kindle store?

(I suppose if a particular title was only available as a Kindle e-book, yes, that would be a monopoly. But it's always been the case that publishers have a monopoly on their own titles [subject to subsidiary rights and foreign sales]; that doesn't stop them from competing.)

I also agree with BWaldron that any anger should be directed at the publisher as much as at Amazon. To a large extent, it's the publisher who fixes the price.

But that doesn't make the publisher any more greedy than Amazon. I strongly suspect that the high prices of e-books compared to traditional books is a mixture of fear and ignorance on the publishers' part. Many of them still don't understand the nature of the e-book market, are uncertain about how it wil develop, and - above all - are scared of e-books stealing sales from their mainstream business.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But I'd like to have it electronically, since I'm not sure I'd ever read it again. I suppose it is impossible to buy it in PDF format elsewhere? It is not a New York Times Best Seller, and I was a bit surprised that it is not public domain yet.
Mr. Steinbeck died in 1968, which means that his works will enter the public domain on 1st Jan 2019 in countries with a "life + 50" copyright term, and 1st Jan 2039 in countries with a "life + 70" copyright term.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I would agree with the others who have pointed out that the pricing issue is probably due to the publisher. But, let's pretend that Jeremy is correct, and that Amazon has an extra $5 of profit built in -- I still don't see how that is greed.

Consider this two ways. First, Amazon itself makes very slim profits. Typical of a retailer, it only makes 3% to 5% profit. I haven't checked its financials lately, but go to your favorite stock quote engine and look up Amazon. They may achieve this profit by taking a loss on some items and marking up others, but aren't they entitled to make at least some profits?

Secondly, consider this from a personal viewpoint. Right now unemployment is quite high. I do not know how you get your money, but let's assume you have a job. Wouldn't you assume that there are people who don't have a job who would be willing to do what you do for less money? Does this make you greedy for continuing to earn whatever it is that you earn?

I think that the problem is that 'greed' is such an emotionally charged word. Perhaps a more neutral question would be why the book is priced so high, and what could be done about it.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote