Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Random differences in blank line conversion in ePub

A slight mystery:

I use ePub to convert my Mobi books to Calibre. All these Mobi books use "<br>" to indicate a blank line.

In some books I've converted, Calibre converts the line to:

<br class="calibrex"/>

This displays as a blank line in Calibre's ePub view, but unfortunately not in the "real" ADE viewer, either on the PC or on my Bookeen Opus.

On other books, Calibre converts some of the lines to:

<p class="calibrex" style="margin:0pt; border:0pt; height:1em">

and this does display correctly as a blank line in ADE and on the Opus.

Unfortunately, though, in these same books, it converts other (identical) lines to:

<p class="calibrex" style="margin:0pt; border:0pt; height:0pt">

which again does not display as a blank in ADE or the Opus.

Is this something which is "fixable"? Shall I raise a ticket?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To add to the above:

If I change the code in the Mobi file from "<br>" to "<div>&nbsp;</div>" then that comes through "unchanged" to the ePub, and displays correctly as a blank line in ADE, but unfortunately it then doesn't display as a blank in Mobi .

Would it be possible for the Mobi to ePub conversion code in Calibre to change "<br>" to ""<div>&nbsp;</div>" to avoid this problem?

Last edited by HarryT; 08-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Instead of blank lines, you could use the HEIGHT attribute for the next paragraph in the Mobi file, that should convert fine.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh sure, yes, I know that I can edit my existing books to make them convert correctly; as I say, replacing a "<br>" with an empty "<div>" works just fine. Being lazy, though, I was hoping that Kovid could devise a solution which would prevent me from having to do this .
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Instead of blank lines, you could use the HEIGHT attribute for the next paragraph in the Mobi file, that should convert fine.
...or to avoid using Mobipocket-specific tags just replace that height="1em" attribute with the inline style="margin-top:1em" as I now use with Mobi2IMP when converting those non-standard attributes.

Also, you can similarily avoid the width="1em" attribute by replacing it by the inline style="text-indent:1em".

Check if <br style="margin-top:1em"> or <div style="margin-top:1em">&nbsp;</div> work for you. Similarily, you can use <p style="text-indent:1em"> ... </p> to have that paragraph indent. BTW, you can combine these like <p style="text-indent:1em; margin-top:1em"> ... </p> to make the paragraph have an indent and have a blank line paragraph separation above it.

Heck, I just place that in the <body> tag ONCE for the entire ebook i.e. <body style="text-indent:1em; margin-top:1em">. I also, and this is my preference only, place a minimal left/right margin as well as fully justify text using <body style="text-indent:1em; margin-top:1em; margin-left:2px; margin-right:2px; text-align:justify">!!!

Nothing like sticking to standard HTML code when converting to multiple ebook formats...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Nick - good suggestions.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks Nick - good suggestions.
Oops, I just reread your issue about converting .prc/.mobi ebooks directly to .epub and my suggestions can't help as Mobipocket Creator inserts those non-standard height= and width= attributes automatically into the .prc ebook. The embedded .html within a .prc ebook that gets extracted and converted by calibre ALREADY has those Mobipocket-specific tags/attributes and so it would be up to calibre to ensure your desired interactions are honoured.

In a bid to help further, can you post what the "calibrex" style is in the .css files within your result .epub. Or just upload your problematic .epub here and I'll see for myself what specific interference cailbre is enacting with that class="calibrex".

Now if you want to make your .epub using the comman line 'ebook-convert' (like I do), then you can use your underlying .html code (with my suggestions above) to make your .epub.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another problem with HarryT's conversions also has to do with the indents. The HTML output from Book Designer sticks 4 non-breaking spaces in to make the indent. So those too would need to be edited out and fixed via the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Oops, I just reread your issue about converting .prc/.mobi ebooks directly to .epub and my suggestions can't help as Mobipocket Creator inserts those non-standard height= and width= attributes automatically into the .prc ebook. The embedded .html within a .prc ebook that gets extracted and converted by calibre ALREADY has those Mobipocket-specific tags/attributes and so it would be up to calibre to ensure your desired interactions are honoured.

In a bid to help further, can you post what the "calibrex" style is in the .css files within your result .epub. Or just upload your problematic .epub here and I'll see for myself what specific interference cailbre is enacting with that class="calibrex".

Now if you want to make your .epub using the comman line 'ebook-convert' (like I do), then you can use your underlying .html code (with my suggestions above) to make your .epub.
Thank you, Nick, that's very kind.

If you download my ePub version of "The Barchester Chronicles" from:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53280

and go to chapter IV in the first book (the chapter called "Hiram's Bedesmen"), a couple of pages into the chapter you'll see a list of names, separated by blank lines. That version uses blank "<div>s" and displays the blank lines correctly.

Compare that with the version I've attached to this message. It has "<br>s" for blank lines, and ADE (and the Opus) simply omit the blank lines.

In both cases, the source for that chapter is the "_split_7" file in the ePub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Barchester Chronicles - Test.epub (2.32 MB, 264 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
nrapallo

I can't see what would be the culprit as the <br class="calibre3"/> doesn't have any interference from the CSS
Code:
.calibre3 {
    display: block
    }
But perhaps it is a gloablly defined problem from using <body text="#000000" class="calibre"> with the CSS being
Code:
.calibre {
    background-color: #fff;
    display: block;
    font-family: Times New Roman;
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: normal;
    line-height: normal;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 13pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    page-break-before: always;
    text-align: justify
    }
where 'margin-top: 0;' doesn't allow any white line spacing between block tags.

It may even be a more subtle issue of using that html code
Code:
<div class="calibre4">mark </div>
<br class="calibre3"/>
<div class="calibre4">his </div>
since the first <div> doesn't usually cause a line-break and the subsequent <br> just advances to the start of the next line and the second <div> also doesn't cause any line advance/break...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I suspect it's a bug in ADE, Nick. If you display the code in a web browser, the blank lines show up OK.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it - I appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm another ADE workaround. Open a ticket for it and I'll have a look at it when I have a moment.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Will do. Just an "it would be nice to have" thing; certainly not important. My main question was really why there is a seeming inconsistency in the way that Calibre "translates" blank lines, as asked in the initial thread of the post.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
depends on context, calibre does a lot of processing to try to ensure that as much of the input CSS is translated as correctly as possible, and then ADE for example does not support <br> tags that are top level children of <body> so calibre tries to convert them into something that has an equivalent effect in ADE and in various browsers.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Kovid.