Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #46
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
For some reason I've waited 2-3 weeks since the new firmwares were out with no updates and finally side loaded the last few times. I wonder if that'll change with the exchange Glo Kobo sent me last month? I guess, we'll see. I do wish they'd publish some sort of schedule if they're going to play "favorites".
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #47
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
My Glo updated tonight and I can say that highlighting is worlds better than it used to be. Solid improvement there.

One problem I noticed right off the bat is that the sharpness slider is missing from the advanced font controls; anyone else seeing that too?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
One problem I noticed right off the bat is that the sharpness slider is missing from the advanced font controls; anyone else seeing that too?
That's deliberate and something I didn't notice until after the release. Kobo said that with the two controls people were getting settings that didn't work well. So, they changed it to one control. Unfortunately they didn't relabel it or update the description at the top.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #49
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's deliberate and something I didn't notice until after the release. Kobo said that with the two controls people were getting settings that didn't work well. So, they changed it to one control. Unfortunately they didn't relabel it or update the description at the top.
That's odd that they wouldn't update the UI to reflect the UX change. Very odd.

Not too happy with it so far; a lot of the fonts look fairly blurry when I try to adjust them. I'll keep playing with it to see if there's something that's a nice middle ground.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 AM   #50
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
They have removed the sharpness setting with no way of getting it back? I hope this doesn't apply to the Touch as it makes a big difference, less so on the higher dpi Mini. But I am having wifi problems with the Touch so will have to upgrade or downgrade.

The Kobo website is still advertising their ereaders as having adjustable font weight and sharpness. I would not be impressed if this is now no longer to be true.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #51
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
the sharpness slider is missing from the advanced font controls
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well shoot, now I'm afraid to allow my Glo to update. :-/ I relied on this setting as well for sharper font. That's disappointing. Why not just publish a how-to on how to properly adjust the font near the sliders rather than taking that away?
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
They have removed the sharpness setting with no way of getting it back? I hope this doesn't apply to the Touch as it makes a big difference, less so on the higher dpi Mini. But I am having wifi problems with the Touch so will have to upgrade or downgrade.
My take on it from what Kobo said is that the single control is changing both weight and sharpness. But, I haven't played with enough to see for sure. I did notice that values for both the weight and sharpness are put into the config file. Unfortunately, it isn't as plain text, so I don't know exactly what the values mean.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #53
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I found that with the font I prefer, Amasis, the darkness of the font I have always preferred is sharper than before 3.2--and in a good way. For me, for my preferences, it is an improvement. I never really was able to get what I was aiming for in sharpness on my own. Not sure why. I don't like it what Kobo (or any other company) takes away my own control and substitutes their "wisdom", but in this case, it worked out for me.

I would try it rather than turning down the other fixes in this build out of concern that this one change will not be to your liking. You can always go back to the earlier firmware (not a pleasant thing to do, but doable).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #54
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, more people getting 3.2 AT LAST. Waiting for the expert guys to intercept the download link once for all.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #55
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Would it be possible to list the bug fixes, or put up a change log please ?.

I won't be upgrading if there aren't major bug fixes, as I'm happy and have grown used to the current UI.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Kobo don't publish a full change log or list of bug fixes. This thread will basically become the list as people receive and use the firmware.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #57
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Fonts have displayed better after rebooting twice (? figure that out) and I can say I don't miss the sharpness slider much. They've made the weight slider "smart" and it does a decent job and producing a nice legible, crisp font.

The highlighting is really dramatically better. Seriously.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fonts have displayed better after rebooting twice (? figure that out) and I can say I don't miss the sharpness slider much. They've made the weight slider "smart" and it does a decent job and producing a nice legible, crisp font.
That's good to hear.
Quote:
The highlighting is really dramatically better. Seriously.
I have to agree with that. I just looked back at my earlier posts and I missed something about how the highlighting has changed. From Kobo:

Quote:
Selecting items is now much easier with word snapping and a velocity based selection system; where the device selects either character by character or word by word depending on how quickly your finger moves across the screen.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #59
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
My Aura HD still can't pick up 3.2 update and that Wi-Fi bug is driving me crazy, never had it before 3.1.1 Please someone with Aura HD tell me it's really been fixed in 3.2.
P.S. Murg, any chance that 3.2 link will show up in your "Direct Links" thread?
dentateck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #60
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentateck View Post
P.S. Murg, any chance that 3.2 link will show up in your "Direct Links" thread?
As soon as someone posts the link, or I snag it when my device updates...

I must admit that I'm finding this release a lot more laid back than normal...the people here are a lot less piranha like about it...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote