Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Couple of stupid questions

I'm looking to buy a birthday present for my husband and have been leaning towards an iPad2, but have a couple of questions.

1) With the wireless version he can browse the net, stream stuff, shop, etc. while he is someplace where he has access to wireless, right (e.g. our home, a hotel room that he's paid for access, etc.)? He just won't be able to access anything online if he's someplace like at the park with the kids?

2) Where's the best place to buy one with a good return policy in case he doesn't like it?

3) Anyone know about any other competitors likely to show up between now and June?

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
I'm looking to buy a birthday present for my husband and have been leaning towards an iPad2, but have a couple of questions.

1) With the wireless version he can browse the net, stream stuff, shop, etc. while he is someplace where he has access to wireless, right (e.g. our home, a hotel room that he's paid for access, etc.)? He just won't be able to access anything online if he's someplace like at the park with the kids?

2) Where's the best place to buy one with a good return policy in case he doesn't like it?

3) Anyone know about any other competitors likely to show up between now and June?

1) Exactly-the basic wireless version will access the web at any place that has Wi-Fi access.
The 3G versions give you additional access anywhere there is 3G access, similar to a smartphone. (And the 3G versions also provide GPS, for location/directions)

2) Apple's stores have a 14 day return policy, no re-stocking fee, no questions asked....but not if you get it engraved (so skip the "happy birthday!" engraving on the back )

3) There are a supposed to be a LOT of competitors coming out between now and June. RIM, HP, and Samsung, to name just a few, all have tablets coming in the next 2-3 months.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Target and Walmart also have great return policies.

I think the best competitors right now are:

1) Asus eee Transformer $400 (This might be the best alternative)
2) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 $500
3) Acer Iconia $450

These are all coming soon, but sadly aren't available yet. While I highly recommend the ipad 2 over what is currently available, the above options will certainly offer some healthy competition.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
The WiFi only versions of the iP ad do a credible job on finding your location, actually, though you can't count on them for full GPS capabilities. Also, if you have a recent smartphone it may be more cost-effective to use that as a WiFi hotspot and connect through it to a 3G or 4G network when you're away from WiFi. It depends on your cell phone data plan.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Thanks!

Thanks for answering my questions, all! That Asus Transformer looks intriguing--I'll have to see if it comes out in the US before June 11th....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
With the wifi model you will be able to browse Internet as long as there is wifi connection (and it's open or you know the credentials) But something that has not been mentioned already and it's kind of obvious, is that iPad can't work or display Flash webpages. So if you guys really use one of those, iPad won't be a suitable solution. Granted, not all pages run or need Flash, but still.

I personally prefer the wifi model over the 3G. I can teether from my Galaxy Tab or Android Cellphone in case I need to bring my iPad with me when traveling (rare, I prefer the GT)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote