Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To Omnibus or Not to Omnibus: That is the Question...

I wonder what is the preferences of the readers here. To omnibus blocks of stories/novels or not. I started out with not omnibusing but I am changing my mind.

What say ye, o wise and learned readers of MobileRead?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It depends, for short stories, which should be read in chronological order, or with very close theme/character connection, I'd prefer omnibus.

For longer works, individual books would be better.

It was natural for me to put Carroll's "Sylvie and Bruno" two parts in a single book, or the two parts of "Martín Fierro". With Alice's books, I doubted, but finally decided on separate books because I wanted to keep the often-forgotten idea that they're two books and not one. The d'Artagnan books are too long to be included in a single book, so are the Forsyte Chronicles... but the Conan stories are short and were already collected by another user, so I could make an omnibus.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As you may have noticed, I like to put a series into a single omnibus edition myself. Makes it makes easier to manage. But that's purely my personal preference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Personally I like individual books for everything but short story collections (or related novella's and stuff) or two parters like Jellby mentions.

I don't mind an omnibus (as long as there's a good TOC), I just don't prefer them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I prefer omnibus for short stories, and novels in series. I'm currently reading the MR edition of the H. Rider Haggard novels - it's great having 3-5 grouped together. Also worked great with the Mapp & Lucia novels.

So yes - omnibus!!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I prefer omnibus books because there are less files to manage.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I prefer omnibus books because there are fewer files to manage.
Fixed that for you :-)

It's an oddity in English that although there are distinct words for describing smaller amounts of discrete (fewer) and continuous (less) things, there's only one word for describing greater amounts (more).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's one of my pet hates that the "small number of items" checkout in Sainsbury's (a big UK supermarket) says "10 Items or Less". You can't have "less" items - it should of course be "fewer".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's one of my pet hates that the "small number of items" checkout in Sainsbury's (a big UK supermarket) says "10 Items or Less". You can't have "less" items - it should of course be "fewer".
Or "No more than 10 items" :-)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I wonder what is the preferences of the readers here. To omnibus blocks of stories/novels or not. I started out with not omnibusing but I am changing my mind.

What say ye, o wise and learned readers of MobileRead?
I'm neither wise nor learned, but put me down for separates instead of omnibuses for everything except collections of stories too short to be considered even novellas.

I appreciate the implicit inclusion of reading order, but I don't like books to be overly large for a number of reasons:

1) generally harder for the reading device to handle (although this matters less over time)
2) ereader software occasionally crashes; it's easier to find my place in a small book than in book 2 of 15 in an omnibus
3) easier file management for me; I'm one of those people whose reading stack *is* the reader... I delete books off the device as they are read but I can't do that with collections. That leads to me feeling like I'm slogging through a book forever because it is so long. I guess I geet some weird psychological feeling of progress as I finish and nuke books off my ereader
4) More covers and titles; I have trouble remembering whether certain books are in particular omnibus volumes. Having all the titles available in the regular library view is handier for me most of the time
5) harder to flip back and forth between stories in an omnibus; if you read more than one book at a time (in different time slices obviously) you have to juggle your bookmark management with more attention when reading an omnibus. With separate books I just let the ereader remember where I left off.
6) cleaner source; when I assemble books, I have enough patience and concentration to clean up and proof one book, but not an entire series all at once. I believe that the quality of books at the beginning of an omnibus edition is likely better than that at the end.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yeah I have to agree with radius on all his points.

While I like the idea of an omnibus, I find I like to monitor my reading progress. With an omnibus, it is hard to determine how far into a book you are.

Last edited by =X=; 05-12-2010 at 11:55 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
One other point in favor of an omnibus - it keeps all the books together on home page. If I download say 5 books in a series, over time while I am reading the first one, the others drift further and further away from the home page - it's very easy to forget to move onto the 2nd volume and get sidetracked with a new purchase. Consider it a "senior" memory aid.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I agree with Radius. I prefer separate books over omnibuses...

I would still buy an omnibus, but I'd cut it up in the seperate books before reading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I also liked the idea of an omnibus. However, in practice, I found my reader does not like anything longer than 500 pages. (It takes forever to load.) Probably the newer readers have fewer issues with this than my 505.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I like the idea of having the books in an omnibus, but find that my 505 takes forever with the larger files. So, I actually prefer to read the books separately on my Reader.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote