Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
bcv
bcv began at the beginning.

Device: Linux powered DIY book scanner
Barnes & Noble vs. Best Buy; online vs. in-store?

I've been working with ebook technologies for the better part of a year now and messing with different related projects for ages... but don't own an ereader. Decided on a Nook, 100% sure, ready to buy, wondering if y'all have thoughts on which purchase channel is best.

Any thoughts on which avenue is preferred considering potential need for returns? BN warranty vs. Best Buy warranty vs. Squaretrade? Should I give in to my baser instincts & go back to the local BN because the cute demo girl who geeked out with me will get the commission (actually some kind of quota-reward-incentive thing)? Or take advantage of the faster delivery it seems I'll get with an online order?

Only other real consideration is that I have a $10 BN giftcard in my wallet, but I figure that's gonna go to books or a cover either way.
bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hi, welcome.

I guess if it's me, and I can basically get it for the same price, I always go for the local store. As to BB vs B&N if I were the one buying I'd go to B&N with the hope that if I needed and after sale help I'd be more likely to get it. As to warranties, can't really comment as I don't generally buy them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
best buy has a longer return pollicy, 30 days as opposed to 15 days,
Warranty's will be similiar though I do know BN offers a "no matter what" warranty, I don't know if Best Buy does.
customer support for a demo and knowledge on the product Barnes and noble hands down.

Honestly I would go to which ever is more convienant and for ultra convienance most Best Buy's offeer in store pick up when buying on line. Since even after you bought it but have some questions and would like a hands on you can still bring it in to your nearest BN

By the way congrats on your decision. I think you are going to really enjoy it. I love mine. It's just a fantastic device

Last edited by boswd; 06-22-2010 at 09:59 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
I just picked up my first ereader, a nook as well, at best buy. I have no idea if they were supposed to give me the $50 card or not, but they did. After taxes it was $209.74. She originally added in the gift card but I mentioned it was advertised as coming with it and she said: "oh, right" and deducted the price.

The only thing I am wondering about is if I got the first gen nook. The buttons seem loud and it the software is definitely older. I am not sure if that matters, just an observation.

I am planning on picking up a squaretrade warranty which covers "spills and drops". It is only like $18 per year so I might get a three year warranty.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdittyr View Post
I just picked up my first ereader, a nook as well, at best buy. I have no idea if they were supposed to give me the $50 card or not, but they did. After taxes it was $209.74. She originally added in the gift card but I mentioned it was advertised as coming with it and she said: "oh, right" and deducted the price.

The only thing I am wondering about is if I got the first gen nook. The buttons seem loud and it the software is definitely older. I am not sure if that matters, just an observation.

I am planning on picking up a squaretrade warranty which covers "spills and drops". It is only like $18 per year so I might get a three year warranty.

Since the new update just came out yesterday I'm sure Best Buy had your's in inventory before it came out so it should be v1.2 or v1.3 depending on how long they've had it on premise, either way it doesn't matter since everything will be in v1.4

In the settings section check out to see what version you have.
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
kdittyr
uber noob

Yep, it was 1.2. I knew it wouldn't be an issue, I was more concerned about the cracking issue I had heard about. I guess it either will or will not crack, not really a big deal as long as I am happy with it. At this point I am just charging the nook with the hopes that I will get a chance to play with it in the morning
Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Yep, it was 1.2. I knew it wouldn't be an issue, I was more concerned about the cracking issue I had heard about. I guess it either will or will not crack, not really a big deal as long as I am happy with it. At this point I am just charging the nook with the hopes that I will get a chance to play with it in the morning
If you have wi fi, the update to v1.4 should be automatic. Also you shouldn't charge it over night,

If not the sideloading update method is very easy.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
kdittyr
uber noob

Yeah, I updated it through the sideload method. Right before I ran the updates I looked and it said it was 100% charged so I updated it and then unplugged it and read for a little while until I went to sleep. I was so excited

@bcv
Is your Linux powered DIY book scanner automated? Would you happen to have any posts or links where I could see it? I remember seeing something like that on Hackaday that looked really fun to play with. I would really enjoy seeing what you've got there.

Last edited by kdittyr; 06-23-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

very cool and congratualtions on your new Nook.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
bcv
bcv began at the beginning.

Device: Linux powered DIY book scanner
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm going to look more into this, I like that when I've needed a warranty return in the past, BB didn't require me to keep my receipt (though I guess it's not that big a deal to hang onto it for 30 days or whatever).

Quote:
Is your Linux powered DIY book scanner automated?
The system is tethered, so images are automatically downloaded and processed. A timer can be set so that the cameras fire every x seconds instead of using a foot pedal to trigger them, but we prefer the pedal. Page flips are not automated- a reliable, nondestructive method for this just doesn't exist (yet).

The software was created under contract and isn't ready for release, but will be open-sourced under a Creative Commons: attribution license. It's really just scripting a bunch of already-existing Linux tools (gphoto2, imagemagick, some purpose-built software called ScanTailor that's kind of akin to Snapter...). The goal is to create a LiveCD offering a complete suite of tools for start-to-finish digitization. Linux users can just add a repository, while non-Linux users can just insert a disk into their computer to use the system, and remove it when they're done (or run the whole thing under Virtualbox).

The best place to learn more about the home-brew digitization movement is the DIY Book Scanner community: http://www.diybookscanner.org
bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I want to buy this at Bestbuy (so I can get reward points), but they aren't in stock yet. The guy at B&N said they won't carry them in store, but can be ordered online and delivered to store. I hope BB gets it soon or else I will just order it from B&N.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Best Buy, locally, is my preferential place to buy from. Nationally, I can't say. Barnes and Noble is a book store, not an electronics store, so I don't feel comfortable with them. :/

At best buy, I purchased a 600 and a small 1.5 x 2 mm speck of negative charged e-ink stood near the center of the screen. I returned it the same day, without any issue. Very nice.

Of course, this is just one obscure best buy in Montana.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
SinCityReader
SinCityReader began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Kindle3 3g Iphone
(Copy & Pasted from B&N message boards) but written by me.

This is what happened to me by buying from Best Buy, and I'm glad I did.

I just love Best Buy. Looked this morning and seen the price drop on the nook, called the 1-800# and they gave me a price adjustment of $64.86 over the phone. So you have 30 days for a price adjustment with Best Buy.

If you bought in store I think you have to go to the store, I bought my nook online and picked up in store, so they did it over the phone.

I've lost count how much money I saved, Sold kindle for $250, bought nook for $259 + tax, got a $50 gift card, got $62 bing cashback, and the $64.86 adjustment. If I would of kept my kindle I know I had it too long to get a price adjustment from Amazon.

I think B&N is only going back 14 days for a price adjustment.

Hope this helps
SinCityReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Got the gift card too :)

I bought my Nook today at Best Buy, and I even talked them into giving me the $50 gift card too! The sign was still up "Buy a Nook, get a $50 gift card." Since the sign said good until 7/3/10, they agreed to give it to me
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
lenrev
lenrev began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Dang. Bought mine at BB on 5/2 so I missed the price reduction. They did say their warranty was through their Geek Squad but I suspect they simply forward to BN's folks. I've not done the v1.4 update yet.

I really do enjoy mine.
lenrev is offline   Reply With Quote