Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eBay nonsense selling the K1 & K2

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazon-Kindle-1-...3%3A1|294%3A50

Is this even allowed? I didn't think you could sell an item on eBay unless you had the item in hand. $999.99 is crazy for a K1 & K2. You can buy a K2 and get it faster then this seller can get it to you (and for about $390) and the K1 can be had for a lot less then $500. This is what I call a rip-off and I don't think it'll fly with bidders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Yes, it's allowed. He states quite clearly that this is a "preorder." People can ask for whatever they want. It doesn't mean that he's going to get any bids.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
No it won't fly with bidders but certainly its allowed. I don't know why he thinks he will get away with it though...
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I heard about this on consumerist. Insanity.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Is this even allowed? I didn't think you could sell an item on eBay unless you had the item in hand. $999.99 is crazy for a K1 & K2. You can buy a K2 and get it faster then this seller can get it to you (and for about $390) and the K1 can be had for a lot less then $500. This is what I call a rip-off and I don't think it'll fly with bidders.
Hey! He has as much right to make an arse of himself as anyone..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:

As long as the seller can have the item within 30 days and it clearly states in the listing that it is a pre-order, yes it is permitted.

Now if the seller does not state that it is a pre-order and can't get the item to the buyer within 30 days, it is not permitted.

Unfortunately many sellers do pre-sales or drop-ships without telling the buyer they don't have the item in hand. Those can be a real nightmare.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
That guy has got to be a little goofy upstairs.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
my guess is that he's making a gamble. he was probably, like, customer #9 to place his preorder with amazon, and is remembering the crazy backorder queue for kindle1. all he needs is one person who just found out that their kid who wants one has like 6 months to live, and he'll get his money.

personally, i wouldn't like the karma associated with benefiting from someone else's misfortune; but that's how the market works.

and if we live in a just universe, a year from now he'll still be sitting there with his extra kindle.

you know, the secondhand book market works in much the same way. if you go to a used book aggregator like bookfinder and search some $40 in-print title, you'll pretty much always see a troll with a copy listed in 'as new' condition for $250. buyers: beware!
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
As long as the seller can have the item within 30 days and it clearly states in the listing that it is a pre-order, yes it is permitted.

Now if the seller does not state that it is a pre-order and can't get the item to the buyer within 30 days, it is not permitted.

Unfortunately many sellers do pre-sales or drop-ships without telling the buyer they don't have the item in hand. Those can be a real nightmare.
After being burned like this twice in a row recently, I've stopped eBaying. Will probably begin again eventually, and be burned again. Curse my lack of willpower!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
After being burned like this twice in a row recently, I've stopped eBaying. Will probably begin again eventually, and be burned again. Curse my lack of willpower!
A+++++ would be burned again!

Sorry, couldn't resist
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I forgot, theres a guy on the amazon.com used section selling just a kindle 1 for 1000 dollars lol.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
I forgot, theres a guy on the amazon.com used section selling just a kindle 1 for 1000 dollars lol.
I was thinking of selling my Kindle 1 on eBay for $10 Buy it now... with $500 Shipping and Handling.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I was thinking of selling my Kindle 1 on eBay for $10 Buy it now... with $500 Shipping and Handling.

BOb
I'll buy it. No need to send it. My parents are in Naples and they'll be happy to drive down to pick it up to save the shipping cost.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
I'll buy it. No need to send it. My parents are in Naples and they'll be happy to drive down to pick it up to save the shipping cost.
LOL - that works.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ok, but you still have to pay the "handling" fee. That will be $480 + $10 = $490. Tell them to bring cash or money order.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote