Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #46
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
If you like Farseer and Fionavar Tapestry, I highly recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion. Really strong world building and an engrossing story and characters.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #47
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnewton View Post
Have you tried Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS?
Now, that is a BORING BOOK. I gave up halfway through.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #48
JimBob
JimBob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sci Fi views>
Assume you have read Hyperion by Dan Simmons? If not then I highly recommend it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyperion-Gol...3941495&sr=8-4

Illium is also good, but the ending annoyed me.

Also - obvious one, but - Enders Game by Scott-Card

And Altered Carbon is a good book too.
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #49
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Buried back in this thread somewhere I mentioned having read and liked some of the Ender books. Some day I'll see about reading whatever I've missed in that "world".

I actually haven't read Hyperion, though I've certainly heard of it. Don't know Illium or Altered Carbon...
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #50
JimBob
JimBob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I think you would like Hyperion. You seem to like similar authors to me, just be aware that it and its sequel add up to a lot of pages!

Illium is by the same author as Hyperion, and mixes greek mythology with Sci Fi!

Altered Carbon is a great book, some nice concepts, but quite gritty in places. A slightly darker sci fi.

Enders game is the best Scott Card book (in my opinion....)
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #51
poppacas
poppacas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Several of the Robot books by Asimov available for e-readers--
Several of Stephen R. Donaldson, Thomas Covenant Books available for e-readers--

Hope this helps..........pop
poppacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #52
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
I think you would like Hyperion. You seem to like similar authors to me, just be aware that it and its sequel add up to a lot of pages!
The Hyperion series is AWESOME, IMHO.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #53
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob View Post

Illium is by the same author as Hyperion, and mixes greek mythology with Sci Fi!

Altered Carbon is a great book, some nice concepts, but quite gritty in places. A slightly darker sci fi.

Enders game is the best Scott Card book (in my opinion....)
Hmm, gritty and dark sci-fi..sounds great! I like this kind of sci-fi, like the current Battlestar Galactica TV series.

Ender's Game is great, but IMHO it's better if you read it as a young adult. I re-read it a couple of years ago and found it kinda silly sometimes. There's a new book in the series just released, Ender in Exile, I read half of it but found it boring, again, great for a teenager but not so engaging for a 35-yo who has been reading hard sci-fi for 20 years.

Anyway, just wanted to say this thread is great, lots of good recommendations here. I am a fan of hard and "grand" sci-fi (the more planets, species and centuries covered in a book, the better), so looks like it's time to go to fictionwise, BoB etc and see if I find Revelation Space or Hyperion. Keep the suggestions coming!
bigmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #54
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
have you continued on with Robin Hobb-- the Tawny man series is great--you get some more Fitz. Her Soldier Son series is also great. Her Liveship series is only good. some more, off the top of my head:
Katherine Kerr's Deverry series
Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the wind
also enjoyed the runelords
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #55
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
Anyway, just wanted to say this thread is great, lots of good recommendations here. I am a fan of hard and "grand" sci-fi (the more planets, species and centuries covered in a book, the better), so looks like it's time to go to fictionwise, BoB etc and see if I find Revelation Space or Hyperion. Keep the suggestions coming!
In that case, the 4 books of the Hyperion series are one of the grandest Sci-Fi series around.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #56
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Did you try Fiona McIntosh's Quickening trilogy (1rst one is Myrren's Gift) ? Or Jennifer Fallon's Second Sons trilogy (1rst one is Lion of Senet) ?
I was really caught in them, almost like with Farseer's one.

But English is not my mother language, I can only speak for the plot and characters, not for the writing...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #57
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATE

Ooh I've been out of touch with this thread for a while, sorry gang.

So I just this morning finished the Fionavar Tapestry series. I got sidetracked with work and some non-reading endeavors so it took me a while to finish it off. It was very enjoyable and certainly emotional in places, particularly the last 30 pages or so. That said, it wasn't quite... I dunno, it just wasn't "it", whatever that means *grin*. I can recommend it as interesting fantasy fiction at least. The whole bit with the "Warrior" and the saddest story ever told, blah, blah, blah... I'm sorry but that seemed really over the top for me. I just couldn't buy into it, but oh well.

So with another series down the only thing left to say is: NEXT!

I've seen several of you really recommend Hyperion and no, sadly I haven't read anything from Dan Simmons. I read some things revies (probably on Amazon) that left me with mixed feelings about the Hyperion books, but then I come back to how highly some people speak about it. Maybe I should just give it a shot. If nothing else, I need a break from traditional fantasy for a bit.

I'll update the thread with whatever comes next. Thanks to all who've participated and tried to expand my reading horizons!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #58
xmafro
xmafro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Didn't see the name in the thread. Recently finished Anathem by Neal Stephenson and absolutely loved it. Kind of working my way back through his others now.
xmafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #59
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
+1 for Simmons = worth a shot. I read the first two Hyperion books. Ilium and Olympus make another wonderful pair. I've got his last two Hyperion (Endymion) and The Terror on my must-read list. Just as soon as I polish off Vernor Vinge...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #60
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
+1 for Simmons = worth a shot. I read the first two Hyperion books. Ilium and Olympus make another wonderful pair. I've got his last two Hyperion (Endymion) and The Terror on my must-read list. Just as soon as I polish off Vernor Vinge...
Ooh I loved "A Fire Upon the Deep" even though I never made it through the prequel "A Deepness in the Sky". I have nothing else constructive to add, but felt compelled to comment.