Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
flowolf
flowolf began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6600
Question Gen3 price in Europe

Hi,
I'd like to know what the final price in Europe will be. I hope that they wont make some 1:1 change with USD (350$ = 350€ ).
flowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It will probably be just that. Thats what VAT does to you
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That would work out about right - VAT is 19.6% in France, so that's what everybody in the EU will be charged.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
flowolf
flowolf began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6600
350USD = 257.0222€.
257.0222€ + 19% = 305.856418€.
350€ - 305.856418€ = 44.143582€.
44.143582€ = ~60,1175USD.

So explaining 350USD to 350€ because of VAT is just non-sense.
flowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
An extended warranty period of 2 instead of 1 year for europe will do the rest. Not to mention some more economical imbalances between european and us markets.

So even if your calculation is correct, my guess is 360$ = 350€
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Things are almost always more expensive in Europe than in the US. Just a fact of life that one gets used to.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the VAT added at levels other than retail? (ie: when the wholesaler sends to to the retailer, etc.)
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Originally I was planning to buy a Cybook Gen3, but then I can't wait for that long and finally I got a Hanlin V3. V3 is really worth buying besides Gen3. The two beasts have almost the same hardware specs and V3 is actually cheaper (USD 324, excluding express delivery).

Last edited by zdevil; 08-29-2007 at 09:01 AM.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What DRM laden ebook formats does the V3 support?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilarney View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the VAT added at levels other than retail? (ie: when the wholesaler sends to to the retailer, etc.)
VAT is added at every level, but a business can reclaim the VAT on things it buys for the business.

Eg, suppose VAT is 20% and you spend £1000 on "widgets" for your business, your supplier would charge you £1200, but you could reclaim the £200 in VAT.

Now, if you resold those widget for £2000, you would have to charge the person you sold them to £2400, and you'd pay the £400 VAT to the government.

That's why it's called a value added tax, because you only pay tax on the value that you "add" to the product - the different between the price you pay for it and the price you sell it for.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What DRM laden ebook formats does the V3 support?
I don't know yet. In the Manual there are instructions for installing a "copyright SIM card" right next to the battery compartment. But I am no fan of DRM. I simply use the device to read RSS news, web pages I saved, journal papers in PDF formats, free ebooks on the web, plus my own scanned materials (not to distribute of course).
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Things are almost always more expensive in Europe than in the US. Just a fact of life that one gets used to.
But does that apply when the product is made in Europe in the first place?

Or, are we not talking about the Gen3 Cybook ...?

I think I've confused myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I know it's crazy, but yes, it very often does .
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But does that apply when the product is made in Europe in the first place?

Or, are we not talking about the Gen3 Cybook ...?

I think I've confused myself.
The factory is in China, not France.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah. I thought that since Bookeen is a European company it might make a difference.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote