Notices

Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #61
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To my mind, a "computer" is any general purpose device on which I can run my own applications, as opposed to something like, say, the Sony Reader, which is a "closed" system that the user can't install his own apps on.
I tend to agree, except for the fact that I view my iPhone as a computer even though it's a closed system. It does many of the things I do on my laptop- in fact all of my daytime posts here are made using my iPhone. I view the Sony as a device because of it's single purpose single application nature.
Quote:
The iLiad, Pocket PC, Palm, etc, are all general purpose computers on which one can install one's own applications. All of these have a version of the MobiPocket Reader available for them, so with the Windows version, that makes at least four different platforms that it's available for, by my reckoning.
Except for the fact that all those general purpose computers you mentioned are all crippled without a desktop component. How would I go about creating an mobi file out of my personal files? How do I create an RSS feed without it? How do I create and edit mobi ebooks without it. This is why I see more value in eReader support- They actually make a cross (desktop) platform solution AND a cross device platform solution. That makes at least six different platforms it's available for. And since I consider all flavors of Windows to be equally unpalatable, I won't even count the fact they supports four more flavors of desktop Windows than Mobi.
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iLiad, at least, does not need any desktop software. I've never bothered to download or install the "Desktop Companion" software which iRex supply, because it nothing that's of any value to me. The iLiad can connect to any host device over USB, where its file system appears as a "drive", and can also install software new software from a CF card (in fact that's the preferred way to do it).

The CyBook will also be usable from a Mac or Linux machine - it too simply appears as a drive letter on the host via USB.

Most versions of Mobi Reader support multiple file formats, so you don't actually need to create Mobi format books for it. Eg, the Pocket PC, Palm, and Smartphone versions will all read, in addition to Mobi books, RTF, HTML, plain text, and "PalmDoc" files.

I'm afraid I don't know if there's any software for OSX or Linux which can create Mobi books. I don't use the Mobi software - I use "Book Designer", which is a Windows app.

We're slightly getting away from the original point, though. The reason I regard MobiPocket support as a benefit is that it's by far the most popular format for commercial eBooks - both with and without DRM. A device which supports MobiPocket gives one access to a far wider range of books than the Sony Reader, say.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #63
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Yep the feature set would have to be pretty compelling to go from 49.00 Sony to 485.00 Cybook!
The Cybook is gonna be sold for 350$ (+VAT?) in the US? not 350€!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #64
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
We're slightly getting away from the original point, though. The reason I regard MobiPocket support as a benefit is that it's by far the most popular format for commercial eBooks - both with and without DRM. A device which supports MobiPocket gives one access to a far wider range of books than the Sony Reader, say.
But your new eBook reader must still be "blessed" by MobiPocket to get a reader for it.

"Single platform" may have been the incorrect term to use. "Single vendor" is probably a better description of MobiPocket.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #65
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
The reason I regard MobiPocket support as a benefit is that it's by far the most popular format for commercial eBooks - both with and without DRM. A device which supports MobiPocket gives one access to a far wider range of books than the Sony Reader, say.
But didn't I read somewhere that there is a secure Mobipocket decoder that runs in Java and outputs any Mobipocket file into plain html? I thought it was fairly simple to turn html into a Sony lrf file. So simple it may be only a matter of time before someone releases a Mobi to lrf application- Even without it though, it appears that the Sony already has access to every Mobi title out there. Albeit indirect access.
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote