Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
MATTLEY35
Cave Troll
MATTLEY35 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wink Gift for Wife

Hello, I'm currently researching e-book readers and book titles as I plan to buy my wife one soon. She is 32 weeks pregnant and on bed rest She is an avid reader and she and I both are tired of the clutter of books (we have six 7' bookshelves in our house) so we are going to attmept to go digital. Any advice would be great!
MATTLEY35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi Mattley, excellent choice, i also have gone digital because i've no more room for books. your wife is lucky you're giving her such a thoughtful gift, especially at a time when she'll be able to get a lot out of it !

i'm sure you'll get plenty of advice about which one to buy but i recommend you list your location (just a country or region is fine if you don't want to be too specific) because some choices depend on that (for instance, the kindle is only sold in the US for the moment, and the wireless download feature will not work outside the US).

welcome to the forum ! take a look around the "which one should i buy" forum and also check out the "e-ink comparison matrix" in the wiki (see the link at the top left of the page) to get some infos on the different models available.

and of course, once you've got one, don't miss our ebooks section where you can get thousands of free public domain books, all formatted by our members.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
MATTLEY35
Cave Troll

Thanks for the advice. I updated my profile and I'll look at the forums and Wiki you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

let us know when you make your decision ! and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
What a great guy!!

Since you are in the USA, for absolute ease of use, I recommend the Kindle. (note - I'm biased, cuz I have one) You can download sample chapters of dozens of books, and only buy when you have started reading that book and are in the mood for it. Plus, of course, free books from here, in mobipocket format.

However, I'm sure the other devices are quite nice too!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to the forum, and what a thoughtful gift to get her!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi MATTLEY35 and welcome to the Forum. I've had a Sony 505 since January and like it a lot. But the Kindle is also pretty neat. Don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi MATTLEY35 and welcome to the Forum. I've had a Sony 505 since January and like it a lot. But the Kindle is also pretty neat. Don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Don't forget to give your wife a library card as well. More and more public libraries have online ebooks for checkout, both in PDF and mobipocket format.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Leep is right. I've checked out and read several eBooks from the Fairfax, VA Public Library
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTLEY35 View Post
Hello, I'm currently researching e-book readers and book titles as I plan to buy my wife one soon. She is 32 weeks pregnant and on bed rest She is an avid reader and she and I both are tired of the clutter of books (we have six 7' bookshelves in our house) so we are going to attmept to go digital. Any advice would be great!
Love Love LOVE my Kindle. And, if she's in bed and doesn't want to get up (and a computer is not handy from the bed), it's so nice to be able to buy a book using the Amazon bookstore and Whispernet.

I'm with you .... I maxed out on bookshelf space a long time ago (I'm building three more for my office .... but no more recreational reading unless it's in ebook form!!!).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
ozgal
ozgal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Mattley,

What a lovely gift for your wife. I'm sure she will be thrilled. But, I gotta warn you, once the baby arrives.......

Let's just say she should get in all the reading she can while she can!

Great advice from all the good folk here.

Good luck whichever device you choose and all the best for wife and baby!

Cheers,

ozgal
ozgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
What a lovely gift for your wife. I'm sure she will be thrilled. But, I gotta warn you, once the baby arrives.......

Let's just say she should get in all the reading she can while she can!
too true ! which actually highlights another great thing about liseuses : you can read one-handed !!! ie, while you're holding a sleeping baby with the other hand ! try THAT with a paper book ! yet another point for ebooks.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
MATTLEY35
Cave Troll

Thumbs up Thanks for all the great advice

I still haven't decided yet but I did see the Sony 505 @ Target this past weekend for $299. That would be easier and cheaper than paying and waiting for shipping, but the Kindle I think is still my favorite simply because it has the Whispernet. But with site's like mobileread and checking out books from the library who needs to buy books? Once again thanks for all your input. I'll let you know when I made a decision.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #14
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I agree with most recommendations here. Kindle or Sony. Kindle has easy access to some newspapers and magazines (subscription based or single issue fee) so that's something your wife might like. I have a Sony myself and love it.

Your plan to de-clutter will be essential once your baby gets into the toddler stage. Books on shelves are just toys, toys, toys to toddlers. Half of my books are just boxed up right now because I have 2 preschoolers, and they just ran around with those books and stacked them up everywhere. Ebooks are much easier to keep out of reach.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pregnant, wife