Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Don't attempt to softrook Nooks with 1.4.1 firmware

So far, nobody's reported a Nook 3G running 1.4.1 firmware, so at the moment this only applies to some Nook WiFis. The Nooks running 1.4.1 firmware have apparently replaced the internal microSD card with a soldered in memory chip, and a new wifi chip.

If your Nook 3G has a serial number starting with 1002, or your Nook WiFi has a serial number starting with 10030, it's the old model, and can be softrooted. The Nook WiFi that's the new model has a serial number starting with 10031, has the 1.4.1 firmware. If you try to download the new model to the 1.0.0 software, which is the first step in softrooting, it will fail, but it will never revert back to the factory settings after 10 reboots, like the original model did.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
My WiFi only serial number starts with 10028 - you didn't mention that one. I'm guessing it's even older but I just bought mine a week ago at B&N.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

I had the guy go into the back and find one with 1002....I am safe right?

Also I heard of battery problems with softroot....how is that? I am charging my one right now and plan on installing it tonight...
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I haven't had any problems with battery life when I've disabled ADB from Wifi Locker.

Yes, you ought to be fine with a 1002 version.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Awesome, its at 92% charge...Soon I will do this, I like to charge up new products first. I got the last one that was not 1003 apparently....Nice guy...Helped me no questions asked, I did tell him why though, he understood kinda...thought B&N were a little crazy for taking it out in a extreme way where it bricks on purpose though.
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just to add my experience....I have a wi-fi only nook with serial version 1002xxxx and was able to soft root without any problems. My nook was also running firmware version 1.40 (not 1.41). I *think* the firmware version may have more to do with not being able to soft root than the serial #. My suggestion would be to avoid softrooting if you have a nook with a serial # of 1003xxxxx OR firmware version 1.41.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Yeah my Nook has 1.4....I would have softroot on it if I did not misplace my micro sd yesterday....
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
mbrde
mbrde began at the beginning.

Device: nook
the serial # on my nook starts 10005...has anyone had any problems softrooting with ones like it?
mbrde is offline   Reply With Quote