Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
12-inch tablets the way?

Here's an article on a 12-inch ipad in progress
Article from Tablet News http://tablet-news.com/2013/09/25/ap...-12-inch-ipad/

and a 12-inch Samsung http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...-korea-report/ Seems like larger screen tablets might be the thing for 2014...
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Tantalizing!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Here's an article on a 12-inch ipad in progress
Article from Tablet News http://tablet-news.com/2013/09/25/ap...-12-inch-ipad/

and a 12-inch Samsung http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...-korea-report/ Seems like larger screen tablets might be the thing for 2014...
Not big enough. Make it 13.3". Minimum size one would need to read a magazine or a periodical without zooming and panning.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
12 inch tablets. Because size matters.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
..and the Toshiba Exite http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/tosh...-35190312.html 13.3 inches.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Not big enough. Make it 13.3". Minimum size one would need to read a magazine or a periodical without zooming and panning.
I read PDFs formatted for an A4 page every day on my iPad and can read them perfectly well without zooming or panning. And I have rather poor eyesight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
And as time goes on things that got smaller get bigger and bigger until we're right back where we started. How long before we have a 16" touch screen with attachable keyboard (i.e. a laptop)?
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
And as time goes on things that got smaller get bigger and bigger until we're right back where we started. How long before we have a 16" touch screen with attachable keyboard (i.e. a laptop)?
There are already several "all in one" table-top PCs with large touchscreens available on the market.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm still waiting for the extra battery pack I can wear on my back like I'm a spaceman.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm still waiting for the extra battery pack I can wear on my back like I'm a spaceman.
Many years ago I owned a video camera with a backpack battery .
Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are already several "all in one" table-top PCs with large touchscreens available on the market.
I know, I was just observing the absurdity of these "revolutionary" new products.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I'd settle for a bezel-less iPad intelligently senses the difference between a screen tap and holding the device.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I know, I was just observing the absurdity of these "revolutionary" new products.
I second that.
This seems like a pretty wild rumor right now, but hey, who knows?
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read PDFs formatted for an A4 page every day on my iPad and can read them perfectly well without zooming or panning. And I have rather poor eyesight.
Paired with an app like goodreader that can crop margin, an iPad / tablet makes a pretty good PDF reader, even with the drawback of backlit LCD screen.

A 12" tablet would make an awesome comic reader. And yes, it'll be good for PDF.

I suspect the surface 3 will go for larger screen. Seems like that will fit right in with the keyboard cover.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Magazine size

The Economist and The Atlantic are both about 13" diagonal. That seems to be a satisfactory size for general reading and viewing graphics and images. It is sometimes less convenient for carrying around. If you're carrying a briefcase anyway, it makes little difference. I doubt I would like reading in bed as much, but that would be due to the weight more than the size. Even lighter than the current 6-8 oz for the Nook and Kindle would be better.

I think a 12"-13" display would require multiple column display, including for books / ebooks that don't come formatted that way today. I'm not sure if that would be a big problem.

(I would put those two magazine titles in italics but don't see how to.)
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote