Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire 2 to outgun Nexus 7 with LTE Connectivity

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...exus-7-lte.htm

hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
*sigh* it sure would be nice to get a device and not have it become obsolete so soon :|

i'd love to have a device with a camera
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Looks like another blogger talking out of his backside. I doubt he has any inside information whatever. Same old rumor about a larger Fire that has been around for a year now. The rest was unsubstantiated with no references to sources. Not even written very well either. I categorize his article as a wish list and nothing more.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Mmmmmmm, LTE goodness. Once you try it, you never go back.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"*sigh* it sure would be nice to get a device and not have it become obsolete so soon :|"
Hmm My definition of "obsolete" is a vestigial device, product or technology whom's primary and third party
format support has ceased entirely thus diminishing its usefulness to the point that it is no longer worth retaining ownership

Examples: Iomega Zip Disks/Drives, VCR player/recorders,CRT monitors etc.

When last I looked, My kindle fire Still had official and third party support in the form of Android applications& games, movie files in digital formats, Ebooks (both.mobi& Epub) comic books(CBR format)
and of course web browsing using Firefox mobile etc.

Quote:
"i'd love to have a device with a camera"
If you are a photography enthusiasts than buy a Real digital camera and be done with it.

The only way you can avoid your extreme definition of obsolete is to somehow obtain some (as yet non existent )technology sent to you back through time from the Future and even that would be quickly reverse engineered and improved making it again "obsolete"
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Mmmmmmm, LTE goodness. Once you try it, you never go back.
Perhaps true, but many of us to not care to pay big bucks to Ma Bell for a cellular plan. For us we do NOT want to pay more for a tablet with a cellular radio built in as we would not use it. So even if this blogger is correct, and I doubt he is unless he just has a lucky guess, a tablet with LTE would be too expensive. They would have to also offer WiFi only at a reduced price. Plus a table with LTE would probably be sold through the Bend Over Phone Monster companies and I'm not sure Amazon will ever do that.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I think that (LTE) might be the only thing that would get me to upgrade. But only if it is included without requiring a Data Plan (e.g. just like the original kindle).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Hmm My definition of "obsolete" is a vestigial device, product or technology whom's primary and third party
format support has ceased entirely thus diminishing its usefulness to the point that it is no longer worth retaining ownership

Examples: Iomega Zip Disks/Drives, VCR player/recorders,CRT monitors etc.

When last I looked, My kindle fire Still had official and third party support in the form of Android applications& games, movie files in digital formats, Ebooks (both.mobi& Epub) comic books(CBR format)
and of course web browsing using Firefox mobile etc.

If you are a photography enthusiasts than buy a Real digital camera and be done with it.

The only way you can avoid your extreme definition of obsolete is to somehow obtain some (as yet non existent )technology sent to you back through time from the Future and even that would be quickly reverse engineered and improved making it again "obsolete"
As an astrophotographer hobbiest I have to agree. I don't care how good the camera is, the quality of the photos is determined by the quality of the lenses you use. No camera or tablet phone will ever rival a SLR or mirrorless camera, or even a consumer grade point and shoot. Those tiny lenses on camera/tablet phones are a joke. Camera/tablet phones or merely a gimmick and outside the realm of social media are mostly useless.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think that (LTE) might be the only thing that would get me to upgrade. But only if it is included without requiring a Data Plan (e.g. just like the original kindle).
But to be clear, isn't the 3G of the current crop of Kindles limited in what you can access? In other words, doesn't Amazon restrict them to the Amazon store? I think I read that somewhere. If so, and if that is how it would work on a tablet, then I think people would be less likely to pay extra for it.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
But to be clear, isn't the 3G of the current crop of Kindles limited in what you can access? In other words, doesn't Amazon restrict them to the Amazon store? I think I read that somewhere. If so, and if that is how it would work on a tablet, then I think people would be less likely to pay extra for it.
Think wider... Like free Amazon Prime/MP3 streaming!! Like having Netflix, but you don't have to pay for the huge amounts of data.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Plus a table with LTE would probably be sold through the Bend Over Phone Monster companies and I'm not sure Amazon will ever do that.
A table with LTE would probably be sold by IKEA.

On the Phone company issue, I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking. The current 3G devices are sold direct through Amazon and they do a good job of keeping the branding to "whispernet" and hiding the actual carrier. Why would LTE be different? The technology may be different, but I don't think it follows that the sales model has to change.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
There is no way that LTE would be included without a data plan.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
There is no way that LTE would be included without a data plan.
Which is the exact point I was trying to make, but these people seem to think that Amazon would give it away! No way you will get free LTE unlimited service through Amazon. At best they will allow you to browse their book store. I cannot even imagine them allowing you to download large files like video via a free LTE. It is NOT going to happen, period. If you want LTE then be prepared to pay a King's ransom for it.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Even Kindle 3 3G service is recently limited to 50MB per month (outside the USA), no doubt as a result of 3G tethering abuse. There were people claiming to have huge .torrent traffic proxied through a tethered amazon 3G connection. Everybody (outside the USA, for now) loses as a result of a few selfishly abusive people.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Even Kindle 3 3G service is recently limited to 50MB per month (outside the USA), no doubt as a result of 3G tethering abuse. There were people claiming to have huge .torrent traffic proxied through a tethered amazon 3G connection. Everybody (outside the USA, for now) loses as a result of a few selfishly abusive people.
Did you hear that from Amazon directly or just your supposition? If it is nothing more than conjecture on your part, it is not reasonable to manufacture outrage over these alleged selfishly abusive people.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote