Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #31
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
I don't have a problem with the books, but the audio books wow are annoying I can't read an HP book without thinking about that whiny voice the narrator made for Harmonie.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
"Circle circle, dot dot. Now you've had your cootie shot."

Works every time.
A proper cootie shot has to be administered in person. It is a shot to the upper arm. Make a fist and stick up your middle finger. Then using the knuckle of that middle finger that is sticking up, hit the upper are of the person you want to inoculate. That's the only way it works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
I don't have a problem with the books, but the audio books wow are annoying I can't read an HP book without thinking about that whiny voice the narrator made for Harmonie.
The British audiobooks (narrated by Stephen Fry) are (IMHO) much better than the American ones, narrated by Jim Dale.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The British audiobooks (narrated by Stephen Fry) are (IMHO) much better than the American ones, narrated by Jim Dale.
Stephen Fry is a genius. ANYTHING that man does is brilliant.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm glad to know that, if I ever get the HP books in audio, I'll go for the British ones. I've been thinking about buying a full, matched set of the British version anyway, I'd like to see how they compare to the "American" version. Maybe I'll go for the audio version, that'll require me to do some more looking into solving the MP3 Pause issue I have on my Sansa Express -- it doesn't hold it's place, you see, but jumps back to the beginning of the track when you turn it off. I've been meaning to experiment with chopping longer files up into small ones to see what that does for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I'm glad to know that, if I ever get the HP books in audio, I'll go for the British ones. I've been thinking about buying a full, matched set of the British version anyway, I'd like to see how they compare to the "American" version. Maybe I'll go for the audio version, that'll require me to do some more looking into solving the MP3 Pause issue I have on my Sansa Express -- it doesn't hold it's place, you see, but jumps back to the beginning of the track when you turn it off. I've been meaning to experiment with chopping longer files up into small ones to see what that does for me.
I actually like the Jim Dale versions myself. It think he did an excellent job. To each their own. My mp3 versions use the technique of dividing into files every 3 to 4 minutes so you don't lose much. It also helps if you accidentally hit the jump to next button on my nano.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking 5 minute jumps, but smaller might be better ... somewhere around the average length of a song, I s'pose.

What do you use to chop them up? And how does it handle the breaks? Does it just cut in the middle of words? And how disruptive is it if it does?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Nat,

I use a freeware program called "MP3 Splitter" available from here. It works very well indeed.

It splits files in the middle of words, etc, but if you're using something like an iPod which plays tracks seamlessly one to the next, you don't hear the break.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm on a Sansa Express, I dunno what it does for seams -- one of the things I'll have to play with.

Thanks for the link!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #40
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I use MP3 DirectCut
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #41
NatCh
Gizmologist

Thanks for the link, Sparrow. I take it this one works well for you?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #42
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Thanks for the link, Sparrow. I take it this one works well for you?
Yep, I find it pretty simple to use - does everything I need in the way I'd expect; but I don't do anything very advanced with it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist

Cool, I'll add it to my list of things to check out. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #44
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Stephen Fry is a genius. ANYTHING that man does is brilliant.
...except for "coming aboard".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #45
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi Nat,

I use a freeware program called "MP3 Splitter" available from here. It works very well indeed.

It splits files in the middle of words, etc, but if you're using something like an iPod which plays tracks seamlessly one to the next, you don't hear the break.
Hmm interesting. Is it possible to choose where to place a cut?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, beedle the bard, contest