Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Coolreader vs ADE for epub....

Well I haven't tried it yet but just what is the big diffrence between reading an epub in Coolreader vs ADE? I am on #15 of an 80 book set that are all epubs and wonder if it would be better to put the .fb2 on them to use Coolreader.

I am using the March firmware right now as well...
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
Well I haven't tried it yet but just what is the big diffrence between reading an epub in Coolreader vs ADE? I am on #15 of an 80 book set that are all epubs and wonder if it would be better to put the .fb2 on them to use Coolreader.

Make a copy of a book and add the .fb2 to the file name.

Both types can exist on your PEz

Try them both and see
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post

EPUB was not even available in CoolReader 2, so IMHO EPUB is still very much a work in progress with CoolReader 3. YMMV. For my own tastes FBreader is the best looking of the EPUB ebook readers on Hanlin, but that is only available on the V3 with either OpenInkpot or Tirwal firmware.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
EPUB was not even available in CoolReader 2, so IMHO EPUB is still very much a work in progress with CoolReader 3. YMMV. For my own tastes FBreader is the best looking of the EPUB ebook readers on Hanlin, but that is only available on the V3 with either OpenInkpot or Tirwal firmware.
Even though it may be a work in progress, Coolreader may still be better than ADE which seems to lack stuff like on screen clock, accurate page numbers and decent control over fonts and font sizes.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Even though it may be a work in progress, Coolreader may still be better than ADE which seems to lack stuff like on screen clock, accurate page numbers and decent control over fonts and font sizes.
Oh, I think that I can agree with that since I do not like ADE at all. I just wanted to point out that CoolReader was not yet as evolved as ADE. For instance, I have to learn more about customizing the CSS on EPUB to get EPUB to look the way I want on CoolReader. Right now, I get into the EPUB and completely remove the CSS file so that the EPUB looks more the way that I want it to on CoolReader. So far, that is still a work in progress for me as well. On the other hand, FBreader seems to ignore some or all of the CSS on EPUB, so the user preferences are preserved. That may be a weakness of FBreader as far as standards compliance is concerned, but I like the way EPUBs look on FBreader better than anything else that I have seen on an eInk reader.

Last edited by Dave_S; 03-17-2010 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
My thoughts exactly after playing with it a little bit tonight. Now I just have to figure out what this whole CSS thing is. I defanalty think I like Coolreader better.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
an image-based EPUB displayed in CR, but not ADE

I hope the software engineers in China re-work the software to allow a choice between ADE and Cool Reader when it comes to EPUBs because I'm leaning toward the latter and I'd rather not have to rename them (with the .fb2 extension).

One other interesting thing is that I converted an LRF to EPUB in Calibre that was created with PDFLRF software that was 100% image-text. I've been experimenting with putting new EPUBs on my Pocket Pro in two versions - one of them with the appended "fb2" extension, and found that ADE displayed all the pages of this one image-text EPUB as "blank." You can turn them, "Goto" them, etc. But there is nothing on any of them. I opened the exact same EPUB in Cool Reader and it worked like a charm - every image was visible.

Curious.

The CSS tweaking possibilities of Cool Reader are also very "cool." While it's not for everyone, learning a bit about CSS can go a long way in the realm of mucking about with electronic books. Other formats and conversion engines use them. So whatever the incentive for learning to tweak CSS, its usefulness will extend beyond Cool Reader.

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Well I have played with this a bit more and like Coolreader much better than ADE for epubs. One small issue I have though is with the status bar at the top (witch I really like). The battery indicator does not show the charging icon when it is plugged in and charging. Also if you go to the about function of the main menu it just shows battery 100% and not charging. However if you back out of Coolreader to the Astak folder menu it does show the charging icon.