Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony Reader for iPhone and Android is in the works

NY Times posted some bits of info shared by Steve Harber.
Quote:
Sony will begin taking preorders on its site Wednesday for the $399 Daily. But it will tell buyers that the device will ship between December 18th and the first week of January. And the devices won’t reach physical stores until January.
The company is being cautious, said Steve Haber, president of Sony’s digital reading division, who cited a higher-than-expected number of people asking Sony to notify them when it started selling the device. “We may be able to hit it. I just don’t want to promise someone a gift that arrives after Christmas,” he said. “We may be giving up sales by saying that, but we are in it for the long haul.”
He also said Sony was working on Reader applications for the iPhone and for phones that run Google’s Android operating system, but declined to disclose when that software would be ready.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hey Igrosk,
Wouldn't the SONY iPhone reading device be a ePUB + Adobe DRM book reader, or would you expect it to also support LRX?
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
can't wait for the iphone app!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hey Igrosk,
Wouldn't the SONY iPhone reading device be a ePUB + Adobe DRM book reader, or would you expect it to also support LRX?
=X=
I would expect EPUB and maybe (but unlikely) LRF.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
ooh. i can't wait for the iPhone App either!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Nice one sony, they haven't forgoten android
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Nice one sony, they haven't forgoten android
Since Sony Ericsson is coming out with an Android based phone, that would make sense.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeap. Now that you mention it
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Gah I already have like 10 reader apps on my iPhone, I guess there is always room for more lol
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
I really hope that the Sony app will sync with Sony's software on a PC or mac. I have a 600 right now. I doubt if I will get a 900 because of the size and the price. But I would love to be able to read on the go with my phone and be able to sync my reader with my computer to automatically go to where I left off in my book on my 600.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Gah I already have like 10 reader apps on my iPhone, I guess there is always room for more lol
If it's done well enough, and it is indeed an ePub reader, then you have a chance that Stanza can be replaced by it as Stanza only reads two file formats, ePub and eReader. You could dump stanza, keep BN Reader/eReader and support one more format total (ePub + ADE)

Not really putting any money on this whole thing at this point though as there are certain challenges to approaching ADE DRM on iPhone since there is no official way to directly access the device for the ADE app to work with it. Perhaps Sony will work with ADE and get a networked variation of that whole process or something clever.

I hope.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote