Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
rememberandhope
Ebookfanatic101
rememberandhope began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question I'm Really Confused

Ok,

So I thought that I had decided on the kindle for my e-book reader but after reading some forums I'm not sure. I have been trying to decide this for over a month but I dont seem to be getting anywhere. I'm a student and I'm really looking to do work on this thing so here are my list of features.

PDF reading (for school work) and i don't really care about conversion because i already have a great program for that.
Ebook store (either on the internet or via 3G doesn't matter)
free books (that's a big one, as a student i have almost no money)
physical buttons
annotations and dictionary
price limit of around 250$

Rememberandhope
rememberandhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I hate to say it but no device will meet your needs unless you either want to really compromise or double your budget.

No 6inch device (what you'll get for $250) is going to be adequate for the PDFs you will want to read.

Your best bet as a student is to get a Netbook, which you can find for about $250.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 11-06-2009 at 11:42 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle 2 probably is your best choice. It meets all your requirements, and the Kindles are unique in allowing "all documents" search. The normal sticking point for any 6" reader is PDFs, but if you are happy with conversion to MOBI than that is covered. Note that if the conversion is image-based then search won't work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle 2 probably is your best choice. It meets all your requirements, and the Kindles are unique in allowing "all documents" search. The normal sticking point for any 6" reader is PDFs, but if you are happy with conversion to MOBI than that is covered. Note that if the conversion is image-based then search won't work.
I'm not sure why you say that.. Kindle 2 doesn't support PDF at all. Sure you can convert it, but most conversions are not very good, unless you want to spend ALOT of time cleaning them up and making them into mobipocket files.

Actually, take a look at the eSlick from FoxIt... it is designed by a company that writes the FoxIt PDF reader software and a pending update is adding support for ePub.

BOb
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
rememberandhope
Ebookfanatic101

Lightbulb Thanks But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure why you say that.. Kindle 2 doesn't support PDF at all. Sure you can convert it, but most conversions are not very good, unless you want to spend ALOT of time cleaning them up and making them into mobipocket files.

Actually, take a look at the eSlick from FoxIt... it is designed by a company that writes the FoxIt PDF reader software and a pending update is adding support for ePub.

BOb
Thanks to both of you, but for pdf conversion i use Stanza, I've tried it and it does really well. Does the foxit take notes? because thats really crucial to me also wallcraft, I am leaning towards a kindle at this point though. I would like a DX but thats too expensive for me and i cant expand my budget since this is a birthday present from my parents. Thanks for all your help thought i really appreciate it
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you looked at the Sony PRS-600, or is that out of your price range? It has pretty good PDF capabilities, an excellent dictionary, and you can take notes on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberandhope View Post
Thanks to both of you, but for pdf conversion i use Stanza, I've tried it and it does really well. Does the foxit take notes? because thats really crucial to me also wallcraft, I am leaning towards a kindle at this point though. I would like a DX but thats too expensive for me and i cant expand my budget since this is a birthday present from my parents. Thanks for all your help thought i really appreciate it
Hey... I have a Kindle 1 and it is a great machine. If you are happy with the conversions that Stanza gives you then go for it.

That said, I have heard a lot of people say that the keyboard on the Kindle 2 is not as good as the one on Kindle 1...

But, you get 30 days to try it. So, perhaps get the kindle, drive it hard for 30 days... and if you don't like it return it.

As Harry says... the PRS-600 lets you take notes with a stylus... although I have heard that it isn't really easy to move them to the PC or use them after that... where as on the Kindle they just go into a text file and they are really easy to grab and put into a word processor or where ever you want them.

BOb
Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OH... sorry, I don't know if you can take notes on the eSlick.. but I would guess probably not.. it doesn't have a touch screen or a keyboard... sorry... forgot about that requirement.

BOb
Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As Harry says... the PRS-600 lets you take notes with a stylus... although I have heard that it isn't really easy to move them to the PC or use them after that... where as on the Kindle they just go into a text file and they are really easy to grab and put into a word processor or where ever you want them.

BOb
The Sony also lets you take notes with a "soft keyboard" on the screen, but the Kindle is a clear-winner for that, with its "physical" keyboard. For what I use it for, though - marking up proof-reading annotations on the screen while reading books - the stylus is better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
rememberandhope
Ebookfanatic101

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all your help you guys. The 600 is nice but I'm very weary of touch screens after having broken two ipod touches. Also, I know this is a stretch but i take intensive Jewish studies courses and it would be nice (but not at all necessary) for me to be able to read hebrew. Again, thats an extra and i dont really care if it isnt possible. I think I'm going to get the kindle 2 (although I'm very tempted by the 600) and suck it up.

Again
Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I had the same issues, I was really looking forward to the Nook - coming out at then end of this month. I really researched it out and decided on the Kindle, in my case the DX was the best fit.

This link really answered some of my concerns : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Partial_Truths
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
rememberandhope
Ebookfanatic101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I had the same issues, I was really looking forward to the Nook - coming out at then end of this month. I really researched it out and decided on the Kindle, in my case the DX was the best fit.

This link really answered some of my concerns : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Partial_Truths
thanks, i think for me the kindle2 is going to be my pick if only because of the price.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
thanks, i think for me the kindle2 is going to be my pick if only because of the price.
I'm sorry, but I'm confused.

Do you need a device that reads PDF format or not?

I ask because the Kindle 2 does NOT read PDF's, so if that's a deal-breaker, then you shouldn't order one.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm confused.

Do you need a device that reads PDF format or not?

I ask because the Kindle 2 does NOT read PDF's, so if that's a deal-breaker, then you shouldn't order one.
He said in the opening posts he had no problem converting PDF's using Stanza.

BOb
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
rememberandhope
Ebookfanatic101

thanks you guys (an yes pilotbob's right) but actually...i'm a girl...