Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
pbchess - Chess for Kingle 3 / 4 / DX !

Hi!

Real chess fans will be happy (I promise!).

NOTE:

1. This is a commercial project. Your can try it for free without the registration and buy if you like it!
2. jailbreaking is needed.

The program has a lot of features that will be very attractive for the real chess fans!

Program web site:

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 11-13-2012 at 05:33 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
deMangler
deMangler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Hi!

I have just ported my pbchess (PocketBook chess) - strong chess program with 5 engines to Kindle 3 and DX!

Real chess fans will be happy (I promise!).

This is a commercial project. Your can try it for free without the registration and buy if you like it!

The program has a lot of features that will be very attractive for the real chess fans!

It was implemented not yesterday. I've started implementing it for pocketbook about 1 year ago

My web site
Russian forum thread for Kindle
Russian forum thread for PocketBook

Installation

To install pbchess you must jave jailbreak and launchpad installed.

1. Unpack the archive;
2. Copy "pbchess" to your Kindle flash memory root directory;
3. Set "lang" (language) parameter to "en" (English) in the pbchess.cfg (lang=en);
4. Copy launchpad/pbchess.ini to your Kindle "launchpad" directory;
5. Disconnect USB;
6. Update launchpad configuration;
7. Run the program by means of Shift+P+C (launchpad configuration, you can change it);

Using pbchess

1. Main menu - "Menu" button
2. Use cursor button for moves;
3. Use Alt+Shift to switch to Kindle bookshelf and back to pbchess;
4. Use "Base/Open" menu to open chess puzzles (beginner,intermediate,advanced level).
I just tried this out on my Kindle 3g /uk (now called keyboard...)
Worked great so I bought it.
Nice to have chess on my Kindle.
This is a good program.
dM
deMangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
deMangler

Case: PBchess running on password protected Kindle3. Kindle enters standby.
Upon taking Kindle out of standby, the keyboard is unresponsive to input.
Pressing menu -> Exit will shutdown PBchess and then the password can then be entered.

dM
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMangler View Post
Case: PBchess running on password protected Kindle3. Kindle enters standby.
Upon taking Kindle out of standby, the keyboard is unresponsive to input.
Pressing menu -> Exit will shutdown PBchess and then the password can then be entered.

dM
deMangler

Another option is to use Alt+Shift (not simultaneously, but quickly, like in fbKindle):

1. Alt+Shitf to switch to Kindle shell;
2. Enter password;
3. Alt+Shift to switch to pbchess;
4. Continue game!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
deMangler

Another option is to use Alt+Shift (not simultaneously, but quickly, like in fbKindle):

2. Enter password;
4. Continue game!
(just tested)

It's known problem that pbchess doesn't redraw the screen when kindle return from the sleep mode. It will be solved in the next version.

You can also use the following approach if you want to continue play chess after exit from the sleep mode: use "Menu/Continue game" to redraw the screen and continue playing.

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 10-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
deMangler

Quote:
deMangler

2. Enter password;
4. Continue game!
Thanks - that is a better way.
dM
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

pbchess-1.2.2 - announсe

2011-10-20 pbchess 1.2.2 will be released.

The main features will be:
1. Full support of the comments and variations in the moves history/PGN;
2. Moves history - stylus support;
3. Board and moves history representation can be tuned (position, fonts, etc)

Also the different bug-fixes for the PocketBook and Kindle versions.

The working screenshots of the 1.2.2 version

Spoiler:

P.S. Comments in PGN file can be in any language (UTF8 encoding). Russian comments are shown in the examples.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

pbchess-1.2.2.1_kindle

This version - a huge leap forward compared to 1.2.1.4.

What's new:

1. Added support for comments and variations. A comfortable view of the games with comments and variations! (Examples of games in PGN-format will soon appear on my site), screenshots - here.
2. A dialog will customize the appearance of a large number of settings (display coordinates boards, borders, header, etc.);
3. Opportunity to enter "My name" in the settings;
4. Support for problems with a fixed solution allows you to create and solve a large number of tactical puzzles with the local goal (e.g. to capture a piece).
5. Support for chess books in PGN-format. At present there is a translation of A. Nimzovich, "My System" in PGN-format (in Russian). This book will be very useful for beginners chess.
6. User manual is updated.

All the puzzles that are supported by version 1.2.1.4, and supported by this release. Starting with this version of the problem will be posted separately on the site and will not be included in the install.

All available data for the software (games with comments, problems, the book) will be posted on my website soon!

Need help with preparing content for pbchess (puzzles, commented games, books in PGN format).

For those who helped this program will be free.

Currently we only Russian contents to pbchess: http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/ru/contents.html

English, German and other languages - coming soon!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Congratulations for this upgrade! As I mention, I would be help in creating content, too!
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2 funny games against Stockfish engine: http://www.e-teka.hu/chess/stockfish.html
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlevarazs View Post
2 funny games against Stockfish engine: http://www.e-teka.hu/chess/stockfish.html
Kindlevarazs,

Thanks!

What's your ELO? How often you wins vs stockfish(7) ?

pbchess educational project started! http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/content.html
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur

When I was young and active player, my best performance rating was 2285, average somewhere around/near 2200. And in fast games I not often win against fish :-) (I very weak in blitz).
I found, that StockFish(not -er) prefer material over position sometimes as you could see in presented games... :-)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
On Kindle hardware even the best engine will perform around 2400 - 2500 at the best.

On short time controls a human 2200 player should crush it easily. The trick it to play it as if it is a machine (which it is). There are a lot of weaknesses to be taken advantage of on weak hardware.

Show the machines no mercy
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
On Kindle hardware even the best engine will perform around 2400 - 2500 at the best.

On short time controls a human 2200 player should crush it easily. The trick it to play it as if it is a machine (which it is). There are a lot of weaknesses to be taken advantage of on weak hardware.

Show the machines no mercy
Yes, more powerful hardware is required for highly-skilled players.

The new chess puzzles pack is available for beginners
here: http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/content.html

The 2nd class: capture the piece (make correct move(s) and capture an opponents piece)

Please re-download it again. I've fixed some errors today!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur

Consider, that 2500 ELO is a very strong player (I think about top1000), so if Kindle would be only 2500, it is very nice.
About blitz: I don't think that easy to beat a good engine in blitz, because it is not take one-move or two-moves mistakes (as human do).