Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This help page at amazon.com has instructions for sideloading content onto a Fire tablet. Different media goes to different directories:

Quote:
(Abridged)

1. From your computer, locate the content you want to transfer from your computer to your Fire Tablet.

2. Connect your device to your computer with the micro-USB cable that came with your device. If you've set a lock screen password on your device, you may need to unlock your device before it can be opened on your computer.

3. Open the device folder (titled Fire) on your computer, and then open the Internal storage folder.

4. Locate the downloaded file on your computer, and then drag and drop the compatible file you want to transfer into the applicable folder:

Audiobooks: AA, AAX
Books: AZW (.azw3), MOBI (non-DRM), KF8
Documents: TXT, PDF, PRC, DOC, DOCX, HTML5, CSS3
Music: MP3, non-DRM AAC (.m4a), MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, AC-3, E-AC-3, AMR-NB, AMR-WB
Pictures: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP
Movies: MP4, 3GP, VP8 (.webm), M4V, MKV

5. Disconnect your device from your computer.
ETA: Fire tablet owners can use the Manage Your Content and Devices page at Amazon to download books directly to their PC and then sideload them. (The usefulness of this is limited, but it does provide a way to load your books into calibre.)

Last edited by jhowell; 10-29-2015 at 05:08 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This help page at amazon.com has instructions for sideloading content onto a Fire tablet. Different media goes to different directories:
Yes, but that's not the issue I'm asking about. Please see the first (few) posts. Sorry if it wasn't clear, sideloading works fine, it's the Fire to recognize the books.

And yes, I've been sideloading to my Kindle Fire since the day I got it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I too was unclear. The point I was trying to make is that Amazon lists only a specific directory where you are supposed to sideload books. They do not mention any ability to use the SD card for that purpose, as far as I can see.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Sorry I too was unclear. The point I was trying to make is that Amazon lists only a specific directory where you are supposed to sideload books. They do not mention any ability to use the SD card for that purpose, as far as I can see.
Right.

I actually was unaware that the new one even had an SD Card til this came up elsewhere.....I'm perfectly happy with my K2 and Original Fire.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can always have books on the SD card and copy them to the 'supported' locations on internal storage as desired, using ES Explorer etc.

I've been meaning to experiment with this, wondering if you can add a symlink in the 'supported' locations on internal storage that points to external storage. Maybe that's enough to have it detect things on SD.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can always have books on the SD card and copy them to the 'supported' locations on internal storage as desired, using ES Explorer etc.

I've been meaning to experiment with this, wondering if you can add a symlink in the 'supported' locations on internal storage that points to external storage. Maybe that's enough to have it detect things on SD.
Yes, but even using ES File Explorer (or installing it) is sometimes too much for naive users.

I think that was the status/state of the user in the post(s) elsewhere that prompted this thread.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #22
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am testing out a new Fire HD 8, and I have encountered some issues. Because my computer somehow couldn't "see" my earlier Fire HD (7 inch, 2012 model), I downloaded and became fond of Dooblou WiFi app. I fire it up, then browse to my tablet on my computer, and from there have complete control over selecting and uploading books.

The odd thing is that I can't "see" some of the books. I am uploading to the directory /sd/Books, but none of the books I downloaded from Amazon (Manage Your Digital Content and Devices) appear there. Nor can I find them anywhere else! Yet they appear on my Library, as do the ones I uploaded from my desktop computer.

Another oddity: I uploaded a mobi file of a book I'm working on, and it doesn't appear in the Library, though I can clearly see the mobi file in the tablet's /sd/Books/ directory. So I went back to Calibre and saved it as an AZW3 file -- and that does appear in the Library! So I deleted the mobi version.

I also uploaded a PDF that I had read in the older tablet. It shows in the /sd/Books/ directory, but I can't find it in the Library. (It worked just fine in the older tablet.)

Finally, I have a question about LUCI files. What in tarnation are those? Evidently one is created for each book I have actually opened and looked at. Is that how the pages-read information is stored?

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
The odd thing is that I can't "see" some of the books. I am uploading to the directory /sd/Books, but none of the books I downloaded from Amazon (Manage Your Digital Content and Devices) appear there. Nor can I find them anywhere else! Yet they appear on my Library, as do the ones I uploaded from my desktop computer.
Books from Amazon are at /sd/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books -- And the titles are obfuscated so you'll have a hard time figuring out which book is which name.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Books from Amazon are at /sd/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books -- And the titles are obfuscated so you'll have a hard time figuring out which book is which name.
Are they obfuscated, or is it like Kindle for PC, where the filename is simply the ASIN of the book? (Ie its "Bxxxxxxxxx" Amazon identifier?)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are they obfuscated, or is it like Kindle for PC, where the filename is simply the ASIN of the book? (Ie its "Bxxxxxxxxx" Amazon identifier?)
Actually, you're probably right. Don't usually bother with the files, because as far as I know there still hasn't been a break of the Fire DRM. File names don't appear to make sense. Easier to just send to my Kindle Keyboard is I want to clean up the files.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The files are grouped, one directory per book, named by the ASIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Don't usually bother with the files, because as far as I know there still hasn't been a break of the Fire DRM.
Without going into how one would remove it, I will say that the DRM used is identical to that of the Kindle for Android app.

As with e-ink Kindles, Amazon allows the download of books directly from their website for Fire tablet owners. Potentially useful in the post-KFX world.

(ETA: The above applies to Fire OS 5. I don't know about the earlier versions.)

Last edited by jhowell; 11-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.