Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
You guys are amazing. So much to choose from now!

We're only buying maybe like ten, maybe less, maybe more depending on the total price. So any repeat recs or seconds or thirds to any of these authors or books will help me out on deciding too! I think I'm going to do about half the ones that sound good that she probably has the least chance of having read before, and the other half ones that have most recs in this thread or best reviews elsewhere and just hope she hasn't read them, to give her a good mix of more obscure and more popular to choose from.

For my own reference, to have them in one place, here's what I'm going to look into:

Brad Meltzer (thrillers)
John Hart (mysteries)
Peter May's Enzo Macleod books (like Dan Brown)
Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne books
Val McDermid - The Mermaids Singing (first in series, police woman and criminal psychologist)
Robert Crais - The Monkey's Raincoat (first in Elvis Cole series, nominated and won mystery awards)
J. D. Robb's In Death series (sci-fi set 50 years in future)
P. D. James
Carol O'Connell
John Verdon - Shut Your Eyes Tight (excellent psych thriller)
*Dennis Lehane's Kenzie-Gennaro series starting with A Drink Before War and Darkness, Take My Hand
Tom Rob Smith - Child 44 (thriller, first of trilogy)
Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn & Chee Mysteries (Native American investigators)
**Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak Mysteries by (Native American investigators) (FIRST ONE FREE - a cold day for murder, see links)
Dana Stabenow's Liam Campbell mysteries (FIRST ONE FREE - fire and ice, see links)
*Kathy Reichs (like Patricia Cornwall, Bones tv show based on it but very different)
Jefferson Bass' Body Farm series

jgaiser's recs:
Craig Johnson
James Elroy
Lawrence Block
Truman Capote (In Cold Blood)
Raymond Chandler
Lee Child
G.K. Chesterson (Father Brown??)
Reed Farrel Coleman
Michael Connelly
Sue Grafton
Dashiel Hammett
Georgette Heyer
Laurie R. King
John Le Carre
Ed McBain

free classics:
Josephine Tey's Alan Grant mysteries (possibly free)
Agatha Christie's first books, Mysterious Affair at Styles (free)
Sherlock Holmes (free)
Wilkie Collins - The Woman in White, Moonstone (free)
Dorothy L. Sayers (free at mobileread)
Edgar Wallace (free)

And thanks cassidym for the Literature Map rec. There's so many recs here and I can't get them all, so I may use that to see which of these recs might be close to some of her favourite authors.

Synamon, that's a great idea, I hadn't even thought of filling it up with free older ones (even when you first mentioned free in your first post, heh)! I'm guessing she'll probably stick mainly to the newer/newest ones that she's now used to if she uses the e-reader at all, but no matter, it's still a great idea since it's free and will fill the library out and she just may get the urge to revisit one or try one sometime. Now I'll be able to fill it up with all sorts of classics, maybe even some non-mystery ones she might like, so she can have not just some books but a good sized smaller library on it ready to go right from the start.

So definitely, if anyone else has any free classic mysteries to recommend that I might not think of, I'll take those recs too, thanks!

ETA - If I missed either commenting on or listing anyone's recommendation, it was only by accident so let me know, but I think I got them all.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-15-2012 at 10:36 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Hillerman & Stabenow

Please don't leave out the 2 quite extensive series featuring Native American Investigators:

The Leaphorn & Chee Mysteries by Tony Hillerman
The Kate Shugak Mysteries by Dana Stabenow

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Please don't leave out the 2 quite extensive series featuring Native American Investigators:

The Leaphorn & Chee Mysteries by Tony Hillerman
The Kate Shugak Mysteries by Dana Stabenow

Good suggestion for the Kate Shugak mysteries. I know you can get the first of the Kate Shugak and the first of the Liam Campbell mysteries by Dana Stabenow for free on the Kindle. They would be good starting points for those two series and wouldn't cost you anything more. It isn't clear what e-reader you are getting though, so this may not apply in your case, but maybe they are free at other sources too if you don't have a Kindle.

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak 1)
Fire and Ice (Liam Campbell 1)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dana Stabenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Good suggestion for the Kate Shugak mysteries. I know you can get the first of the Kate Shugak and the first of the Liam Campbell mysteries by Dana Stabenow for free on the Kindle. They would be good starting points for those two series and wouldn't cost you anything more. It isn't clear what e-reader you are getting though, so this may not apply in your case, but maybe they are free at other sources too if you don't have a Kindle.

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak 1)
Fire and Ice (Liam Campbell 1)
A better source would be here where you get a zip file with a epub and a mobi both DRM free.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-13-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: fix text
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Several of the Dorothy L. Sayers books are available here at MR, I believe.

Edgar Wallace is fun and pd, not sure if he's here, though.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the short account at the beginning of this book of Dana's being notified by her editor on winning the Edgar Award. It's pretty funny (from taking the advice she'd read about in a Coco Chanel book to alter a top to almost missing the award ceremony when she couldn't get a cab back to her hotel after visiting the Statue of Liberty).

My copy is from Amazon, but it's probably included in the other versions, as well.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dana Stabenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the short account at the beginning of this book of Dana's being notified by her editor on winning the Edgar Award. It's pretty funny (from taking the advice she'd read about in a Coco Chanel book to alter a top to almost missing the award ceremony when she couldn't get a cab back to her hotel after visiting the Statue of Liberty).

My copy is from Amazon, but it's probably included in the other versions, as well.
It is. And I agree, I loved that 'Word from the Author'.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I really enjoy the JD Robb series, but it is a little different than most of the authors you listed - it's set approx 50 years in the future (when she started the series, it was more like 60-70 years, but the books haven't covered more than 3-4 years so far in the series!) I have one friend who won't read them because she considers them "too sci-fi".

If she likes Patricia Cornwall, I would imagine she'd like Kathy Reichs. Very similar main characters.

I also second the recommendation for the Lehane Kenzie-Genarro series.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
For any Patricia Cornwell fan, I agree with FizzyWater's suggestion of Kathy Reichs (which bears little resemblance to the Bones TV series that was based on it) - and I'm surprised no-one's suggested Jefferson Bass' Body Farm series yet (if they have, I'm less surprised that I've missed it )
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've added all the new recs to the list in my post above, thanks.

The Kate Shugak mysteries already have so many recs in here in the last few posts that I would've gotten it for her anyway, but then the first one is free, so even better as it leaves room for even more. And not that it matters so much, but the character being Native American sounds interesting. The person we're giving this to has a little Native American ancestry, so I think she'd like that.

Also with the second rec and since I was leaning towards a Lehane anyway but not knowing which one to get, I'll probably also definitely get her at least the first of that series, A Drink Before War.

Quote:
...It isn't clear what e-reader you are getting though...
We have indeed gotten her a Kindle, a Kindle Paperwhite with 3G. For her, we wanted the simplest, easiest to use device possible, all things considered, to maximise chances of her actually using it and getting used to it. If she does use it, I doubt she'll ever even connect it to her computer. And if I weren't setting everything up for her, she might never even set anything up. Once and if she reads the books we're pre-loading, hopefully she'll get used to it and like it and then want to buy more e-books of her choosing. Then at best I think she will only use the Kindle store on her device and only buy books directly from the e-reader.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
*I* have to thank you all for the Dana Stabenow recommendations. Finished "A Cold Day for Murder" this morning and immediately purchased "A Fatal Thaw". A quick and satisfying read.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
The authors who keep me turning the pages are:

Brad Meltzer
Christopher Reich
Peter James
Jo Nesbo (his Headhunters is brilliant)
John Grisham
Ken Follett
Gregg Hurwitz
Lynda La Plante
Mo Hayder (Scary)
Ruth Rendell
Ann Cleeves

Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #28
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My fav thriller authors are:

Karen Rose
Karin Slaughter
Linda Prather
L J Sellers
Early James Patterson books
Michael Wallace
Lisa Scottoline
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
You don't say which ereader you're buying, but you might want to stick to non-DRM and public domain ebooks. This will avoid all the problems with buying DRM'd books using one email account and the ereader being registered to another.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote