Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #46
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Oh, by the way -- if you are using the Gnu make and have a multi-core processor, change the "make install" step to "make -j 2 install", for instance. This tells make to keep two jobs running at the same time to allow you to use that extra core that's usually just idling. If you have a 4-core processor, use "make -j 4 install", etc. With the dual-core processor on my computer, a compile would usually complete every second-and-a-half or so.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #47
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Someone else may have run into this.
Converting an epub built in V5.9 with Kindlegen, an error is reported that "Cover is not specified".
Interesting, will look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post
Kubuntu 12.04 "precise" 64-bit

Here's the only glitch I have found: I try to do a multi-select in preparation ...
KDE has some funny glitches with selections - never got it working properly. I'd guess its Qt.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #48
JonathanH
Enthusiast
JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kindle Touch
Huge thanks to the developers for this release. It's the little things that count - like making the Insert Image dialog remember the last image inserted. That saves me a LOT of clicking and scrolling when I'm putting together another 250+-image EPUB. Thanks guys!

(I'm also learning to close unused tabs, but that's a very small price to pay for the rest of the features)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #49
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post
(The messages were flying by so fast on my screen, I couldn't read them all. I assume that if anything were *really* wrong it would have bailed out early with an error message.)
There shouldn't be any build errors with Sigil itself. However, Sigil does bundle the third party libraries it uses. They will be used if not already installed on your system. Boost shows a large number warnings when building. Since this is a third party library they will remain until upstream fixes them.

Also, if there is a serious error the build process will stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signum
if you are using the Gnu make and have a multi-core processor, change the "make install" step to "make -j 2 install", for instance.
The recommendation is, number of cores + 1. Dual core system should be using -j3 and a quad core with hyperthreading should be using -j9.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #50
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum
Kubuntu 12.04 "precise" 64-bit

Here's the only glitch I have found: I try to do a multi-select in preparation ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
KDE has some funny glitches with selections - never got it working properly. I'd guess its Qt.
Yes, FWIW (and it isn't much) I saw the same thing on my aptosid machine. However, it quit misbehaving for some reason, and now shift-select works as expected. I have no idea what I did to "fix" it.

edited to add: On further experimentation, I can reproducibly cause the bug to happen if I run Sigil from a root shell (which I shouldn't be doing anyway, of course). If I run as a normal user, or run it with sudo, multi-select works normally.

I still can't drag chapters around in the book browser, though.

KDE 4.8.4, Qt 4.8.2

Last edited by st_albert; 09-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #51
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Someone else may have run into this.

Converting an epub built in V5.9 with Kindlegen, an error is reported that "Cover is not specified".

V5.3 makes the following references to the cover
Code:
<meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
<item href=l"Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<reference href="Text/The%20Giant%27s%20Robe.htm" title="Cover" type="cover" />
V5.9 makes the following references to the cover
Code:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<reference href="Text/The%20Giant%27s%20Robe.htm" title="Cover" type="cover" />>
When I insert the following into the V5.9 content.opf
Code:
<meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
every thing works fine.

You just need to right-click on the cover image and select Add Semantics -> Cover Image (along with adding the semantic type to the HTML file including the image). Sigil no longer tries to guess which image is your cover to avoid a few issues some people had:

- Implement issue 1414: Cover semantic should not be added automatically.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #52
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
PS. Save split view and you guys will be heroes forevaaaah.
I forgot to mention there is an alternative to split view that is actually quite powerful. Its not useful for everything, but if all you want to do is edit your code manually and see the results in the Book View while still showing your code then you can try it.

Right click on the file you want to edit, and select Open With. You can then choose an external application to edit the file. You can leave the Book View version of the file displayed in Sigil, and edit the HTML code in your external text editor/HTML editor. When you save your edits in the external application, Sigil will update the file. Remember to close the file in the external application before editing the file in Sigil again or you will lose data.

This also applies to images (right click on the image in Book Browser, or on the image as its displayed in Book View or on the image's tab).

And it applies to CSS files. So you can change your CSS and see the results of your style changes immediately without having to change tabs in Sigil (although since cursor positions and style updates are now working properly its just as easy to do this in Sigil).
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #53
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
You just need to right-click on the cover image and select Add Semantics -> Cover Image (along with adding the semantic type to the HTML file including the image). Sigil no longer tries to guess which image is your cover to avoid a few issues some people had:

- Implement issue 1414: Cover semantic should not be added automatically.
Add Semantics only determines what goes into the <guide> section of content.opf and works fine. The missing line is in the meta data.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #54
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Add Semantics only determines what goes into the <guide> section of content.opf and works fine. The missing line is in the meta data.
If I understand meme's comment correctly, this is not the case. "Add Semantics" adds some needed tags where needed:

If you designate an HTML as a cover document, Sigil will add a line to the <guide>.

If you designate an image file as a cover file, Sigil will add the <meta> tag.

Note that the <guide> should only contain links to HTML files, and that the <meta> tags are not standardized:Kindlegen uses it, other software may use it too, but there's nothing in the spec that says what its effect should be, actually, there's no "cover" in the epub spec.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #55
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I forgot to mention there is an alternative to split view that is actually quite powerful. Its not useful for everything, but if all you want to do is edit your code manually and see the results in the Book View while still showing your code then you can try it.

Right click on the file you want to edit, and select Open With. You can then choose an external application to edit the file. You can leave the Book View version of the file displayed in Sigil, and edit the HTML code in your external text editor/HTML editor. When you save your edits in the external application, Sigil will update the file. Remember to close the file in the external application before editing the file in Sigil again or you will lose data.

This also applies to images (right click on the image in Book Browser, or on the image as its displayed in Book View or on the image's tab).

And it applies to CSS files. So you can change your CSS and see the results of your style changes immediately without having to change tabs in Sigil (although since cursor positions and style updates are now working properly its just as easy to do this in Sigil).

Gentlemen, this may be the greatest step forward in the use of Sigil.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #56
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If I understand meme's comment correctly, this is not the case. "Add Semantics" adds some needed tags where needed:

If you designate an HTML as a cover document, Sigil will add a line to the <guide>.

If you designate an image file as a cover file, Sigil will add the <meta> tag.

Note that the <guide> should only contain links to HTML files, and that the <meta> tags are not standardized:Kindlegen uses it, other software may use it too, but there's nothing in the spec that says what its effect should be, actually, there's no "cover" in the epub spec.
That sounds fair. I will try it and report back.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #57
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
That sounds fair. I will try it and report back.
Thank you, Mr.Jellby!
I may be slow but eventually get it.

Well done, Guys!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #58
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
@Oldpilot, A lot more information would be helpful. Such as OS and OS version? Did you do a fresh install or install over a previous version of Sigil? Does an uninstall followed by an install make a difference?
Windows XP, with all updates that MS has sent my way; and I downloaded and installed it without uninstalling the earlier version. Since I had the bit in my teeth, I simply uninstalled Sigil and downloaded the older version and installed or re-installed that. When I finish this project, I will start anew. (I'll keep a log this time!)

Thanks. It's a great program.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #59
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:

Gentlemen, this may be the greatest step forward in the use of Sigil.
I agree 100%. This allows you bring the power of another editor to bear and see the changes you have made, without closing the document in the other editor.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #60
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Hello software engineers,

I am so excited about this new beta version that I have now posted an article equal in my small private blog about it.

martina-schein.net/blog/sigil-epub-editor-weitere-beta-version-0-5-905-mit-fehlerbereinigung-und-neuen-features/8603/

Anyone interested can get the article that is written in the German language, to translate into English. On second place in the sidebar of my blog I have installed the Google Translator.

It is not the first article about Sigil in my blog - I'm doing here in Germany »diligently« advertisement for this great program.

Greetings
Martina
Closed Thread