Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
nothing wrong with the "z" ....
The OED, in fact, prefers "-ize" endings to "-ise" ones.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm sorry, you still haven't convinced me. Again, I read lots of books and ebooks from both traditions, and after a few words rarely if ever even notice whether it's 'recognise' or "recognize". I still don't see the point of going to all the trouble.

Regards, Alex
In theory, I completely agree with you. It is an entirely unecessary procedure. In practice however, I like to have my books exactly the way I want them. I much prefer double quotes. I like to use the letter u in colour, honour and labour. It's all down to personal preference. Is it important? To me it is. The funny thing is, is that I couldn't care less whether it's left or fully justified!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If you like the "u" in colour etc., then what's wrong with "z" ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Another thread on this here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74990

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Assuming the "'" are all coded using the same character, as they would be in a text file like the ones you might get from Project Gutenberg (and likely the epubs and stuff derived from PG), the following perl script will work. Just cut and paste it into a file.

#! /usr/bin/perl
# --- REPLACE the above line with the path to perl on your system (unless windows).
if ($#ARGV != 0) {
print "USAGE replace_single.pl <infile>\n";
die;
}
my ($infile) = @ARGV;

my (@lines) = `cat $infile`;

foreach (@lines) {
s/ '/ "/g;
s/' /" /g;
print "$_";
}

If distinct characters are being used, as would probably be the case with a more professionally formatted book, well, I would need to know the encoding of the characters, but that should be even easier.

P.S. Oh right... at the moment, this script just prints out to Standard Out. You will probably want the output in a file. On a Mac or Linux system you would run the program like this:

replace_single.pl orig_book.txt > new_book.txt (Note the .txt will be replaced with
whatever file extension we are dealing with here).

--
Bill

Last edited by bill_mchale; 10-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Assuming the "'" are all coded using the same character, as they would be in a text file like the ones you might get from Project Gutenberg (and likely the epubs and stuff derived from PG), the following perl script will work. Just cut and paste it into a file.

#! /usr/bin/perl
# --- REPLACE the above line with the path to perl on your system (unless windows).
if ($#ARGV != 0) {
print "USAGE replace_single.pl <infile>\n";
die;
}
my ($infile) = @ARGV;

my (@lines) = `cat $infile`;

foreach (@lines) {
s/ '/ "/g;
s/' /" /g;
print "$_";
}

If distinct characters are being used, as would probably be the case with a more professionally formatted book, well, I would need to know the encoding of the characters, but that should be even easier.

P.S. Oh right... at the moment, this script just prints out to Standard Out. You will probably want the output in a file. On a Mac or Linux system you would run the program like this:

replace_single.pl orig_book.txt > new_book.txt (Note the .txt will be replaced with
whatever file extension we are dealing with here).

--
Bill
I ended up writing a macro that does it in MS Word. Doesn't catch everything, but it's good enough. And I always proof the books as I read them on my kindle and just fix them up a bit more when I'm done.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Note that blindly replacin' single quotes can do wrong with some of 'em.

Depending on the book, there might be a lot of the above.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Note that blindly replacin' single quotes can do wrong with some of 'em.

Depending on the book, there might be a lot of the above.
Very good point, Jellby. The Dickens book that I'm proof-reading at the moment is full of such quotes in the dialogue. You can get some real gems, such as:

Quote:
John said, 'Fred said to me " 'ere 'e is, late as flippin' usual!" '
Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #25
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very good point, Jellby. The Dickens book that I'm proof-reading at the moment is full of such quotes in the dialogue. You can get some real gems, such as:
Ack.. ok, that is true... but I did write the script in about 5 minutes.

If the writer is going to use devices like that, the issues get a bit more complicated in writing a script... and the script is unlikely to ever be perfect... I could look for punctuation prior to a "'" and that would catch the vast majority of cases. The remaining problem becomes examples where someone decides to "quote" a word or short phrase without punctuation. At that point, we are getting beyond a simple script and probably need some artificial intelligence.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, this is unfortunately one of those seemingly "straightforward" problems that, when you look at them in depth, turn out to be anything but simple! Turning "straight" quotes into "curly" quotes is even more complicated.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #27
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
If you like the "u" in colour etc., then what's wrong with "z" ?
My mistake, I grabbed the entire quote. I only wanted to quote "I still don't see the point of going to all the trouble."

I have no problem with "z", (except when other Canadians call them "zee's" not "zeds"...)
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, this is unfortunately one of those seemingly "straightforward" problems that, when you look at them in depth, turn out to be anything but simple! Turning "straight" quotes into "curly" quotes is even more complicated.
No, straight quotes to curly quotes is easy. What I do is just convert the book to rtf and open it in MS Word. Then find/replace all ' with ' and find/replace all " with ". Word automatically makes them curly. Also, for those who don't know, Calibre now has an option to "curlify" all of the quotes and apostrophes in a book.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #29
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
I guess it's to each their own, type of thing...I personally like to see the correct spelling of words in the region I choose. Commonwealth titles being formatted using the correct spelling, quote makes, metric measurements (kilometre instead of kilometer). the commonwealth (well, where I am anyway) is becoming to "Americanised" as it is. (no offense to Americans here). I see to many people in my country spelling words how America spells them. When I read a book, these little things really stand out.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #30
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
No, straight quotes to curly quotes is easy.
Of course it's easy, what's hard is to make them curl the right way. It's been a long time since I last used Word, but I've had enough of its "smart" things, turning to uppercase and swapping letters all the time. What does it do with 'em, 'tis and 'ere? Not to mention the Spanish custom of marking multi-paragraph quotes with closing quote marks...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote