Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #61
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about the cover and charger. I was very tempted by it when Best Buy had it on sale for $40 off. Almost pulled the trigger but instead went into a cool dark room until the feeling passed.
Yes, I hope I don't run into it on a dark and lonely night with money in my pocket (or a credit card, even worse), I'd be in for trouble
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #62
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
With Jinke you can download the source code from their website as well as the SDK.

I think this apparent 'glut' in the ereader market is media analysts are wanting to see a multi function device - ereader, web surfing, videos etc, yet the general ereader consumers want solid and reliable ereaders.
Or cheaper, or better quality.

Instead, we get a surge of virtually identical readers that do nothing especially well, including book viewing.

Many people want to offset the sacrifice in quality with an increase in functionality. That's where the desire for video and web browsing and other things seems to come from.

I'd personally be happy with a good dedicated device. I was hoping one would come out of CES, but apparently not.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #63
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Plus the wireless. (not that I care myself about that).
I disagree. The wireless isn't a feature because you can't do anything with it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #64
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Weird... I had to enter the full justification in my CSS for my Mini to not left justify...

Solicitous, don't you have to register with them first?
You do, but it is free and instant. No big deal I've done it - essentially an email address and password.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #65
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I disagree. The wireless isn't a feature because you can't do anything with it.
Nate, it doesn't matter if YOU can't do anything with it. It is a feature. Some readers don't have it, some do, some people want it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #66
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nate, it doesn't matter if YOU can't do anything with it. It is a feature. Some readers don't have it, some do, some people want it.
No, _no_one_ can do anything with it. It is only good for accessing the Sony store, which is why I described it that way. If you refer to it as wireless, it creates the impression that you can do other things besides access the Sony store.

If someone wants to buy the Daily Edition because of the wireless then that person is deceiving himself. If one wants to buy it to access the Sony store directly, then that's a different matter.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No, _no_one_ can do anything with it. It is only good for accessing the Sony store, which is why I described it that way. If you refer to it as wireless, it creates the impression that you can do other things besides access the Sony store.

If someone wants to buy the Daily Edition because of the wireless then that person is deceiving himself. If one wants to buy it to access the Sony store directly, then that's a different matter.
Nate, it doesn't matter, it IS a feature.

Wireless does not by any stretch of the imagination imply full internet access. That's never been the case with ebook readers.

Just like the touch-screen is a feature. Doesn't matter that you can't do digital art with it.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-11-2010 at 08:39 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #68
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:

No, not just for the Sony store... The wireless is also for receiving your daily content, sure I could connect to PC every morning and download stuff but there is something very appealing to just turning it on and having my newspaper, magazines, and any other daily content (I'm sure they'll add more too) download automatically while the coffee is brewing.

Some of the other reasons were the slightly larger size, the reports of better screen clarity/contrast, and (as has been mentioned) the two included covers. The covers alone I figured at at least a $40 - $50 value, then when Best Buy came out with the $40 off, wrap that up with about $7 in reward zone rebates and it was too good to pass up.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #69
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
No, not just for the Sony store... The wireless is also for receiving your daily content, sure I could connect to PC every morning and download stuff but there is something very appealing to just turning it on and having my newspaper, magazines, and any other daily content (I'm sure they'll add more too) download automatically while the coffee is brewing.

Some of the other reasons were the slightly larger size, the reports of better screen clarity/contrast, and (as has been mentioned) the two included covers. The covers alone I figured at at least a $40 - $50 value, then when Best Buy came out with the $40 off, wrap that up with about $7 in reward zone rebates and it was too good to pass up.
I only got the one cover, and it appears to be permanently attached.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #70
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
You don't know how to remove the cover or margin crop and you're already telling people not to buy it? Odd.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #71
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I guess, technically, it is a cover and a case, but you have to remove the cover to get it in the case. I've read that it is tricky to remove the cover and the pins that hold it are sort of fragile and break easy. Instructions are on page 18 of the user manual.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #72
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
You don't know how to remove the cover or margin crop and you're already telling people not to buy it? Odd.
I always read the manual second. If there is a useful feature that I can't figure out without reading the manual then there is something wrong with the design. And besides, I got it Thursday night in the middle of CES. I didn't have time to read the manual.

And after having looked through the manual, I now know that the Caselogic case I received is the second cover everyone is referring to. When we got it the Sony people made it sound like an optional extra they were lending us just to make sure the Daily Edition was safe.

You have to remove the attached cover to use the Caselogic case, and it's pretty bulky.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's nice that it comes with a decent cover. For all their other devices, Sony have switched to just supplying a carrying pouch, which isn't nearly as good as a proper cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #74
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

A note about the second cover

It doesn't come in the same retail box as the Daily Edition. I got it with a little cardboard sleeve bearing a Caselogic label.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #75
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's nice that it comes with a decent cover. For all their other devices, Sony have switched to just supplying a carrying pouch, which isn't nearly as good as a proper cover.
The cover is pretty different from the 500/600/700 covers. It isn't a full cover, but something to cover the front of the reader. It clips in place on the back near the 'spine' and folds over the front of the reader. The back of the device remains exposed, has the same sort of texture, but is part of the plastic removable back.

It does work well to cover the front of the reader while keeping the profile as slim as possible (it is thicker than the 505/600).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote