Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-03-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Windows Media Player DRM Hacked

According to the Register, "Norway's best known IT export, DVD Jon, has hacked encryption coding in Microsoft's Windows Media Player, opening up content broadcast for the multimedia player to alternative devices on multiple platforms."

It's a breakthrough that is probably viewed by some as a step toward chaos and anarchy, and a new roadblock for downloadable video paid content. But many others consider Jon Lech Johansen a hero on behalf of the consumer for his fight against annoying DRM schemes.

(via Slashdot)
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
(Before reading, one should realize that this guy (irrationally?) gets on my nerves.)

So he cracked a DRM scheme, correct? How about working on something slightly more worthwhile, like work on getting the WMV3 codec to run on anything other than Windows and x86 Linux (with w32codecs)? Seriously, it terribly annoys me every time I run into a WMV3 file, with VLC spitting back the "There's no decoder for the video stream." error, and then playing just the sound.

Somehow I don't think breaking a DRM scheme is really worthy of so much attention... And seriously, who even uses DRM-'protected' WMV for content? Normal WMV, yes (hence the wish for a decoder running on non-Windows/x86-Linux systems)... DRM'd WMV, I've never seen (as far as I know - maybe I just didn't know because I can't even use normal WMV3 - again, I want a decoder for the codec, not the DRM!).

(Ok, so I got on a bit of a rant...)
Advert
Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
jared
Nameless Being

The reason noone uses DRM is because people like DVD Jon exist. WMV is a non-free codec, if you want to use it, I recommend you buy windows XP. Otherwise, consider using free and open codecs. Sorry people aren't breaking the law fast enough for you, I sympathize with your inability to watch pirated movies in 64bits.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared
The reason noone uses DRM is because people like DVD Jon exist. WMV is a non-free codec, if you want to use it, I recommend you buy windows XP. Otherwise, consider using free and open codecs. Sorry people aren't breaking the law fast enough for you, I sympathize with your inability to watch pirated movies in 64bits.
You realize I *do* use free codecs where at all possible. But in case you didn't realize, some idiots use WMV for *anything*. Free videos, whatever. Maybe you've never run into this, but I have.