Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
which one?

I have a Kindle 1 and I am wanting a better reader (bigger screen, better graphics, etc.). I use the Kindle only for reading books and The New York Times. I am thinking of buying either an Iliad 2nd edition or the Iliad Ebook reader. Or would you suggest the Kindle 2?

Also, I read the Times while I'm on the treadmill with the Kindle font set to max. Can I do the same on an Iliad?

Suggestions encouraged! Thanks

Jim
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Unless you have a specific application in mind for the the WiFi in the 2nd Edition (which isn't very useful in general), I suggest going with the Book Edition.

The largest font size on the iLiad is significantly larger than on the Kindle, see Things you can do with your iLiad. The 1st screenshot is FBReader and the 2nd the MobiPocket Reader. Note that by default there are only two fonts available for MobiPocket Reader, see Mobipocket Font Switcher.

To read most ebooks on both the Kindle and the iLiad, you will need to strip the DRM from AZW and/or MOBI. FBReader (which only reads DRM-free ebooks) may then be a better option than the standard Mobipocket Reader on the iLiad.

I assume you are aware of the issues with the iLiad, primarily a slower page turn than most recent devices and only a ~12 hr battery with no suspend mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A warning: the implementation of the MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad is very poor indeed - no bookmarks, no display of the book cover, no options of any sort, basically. It was one of the main reasons for me selling my iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I would not shift to the Iliad if you already have the Kindle1 and just upgrade so you wont have any transfer of files problem. As far as i have read, kindle is better than the Iliad just like what the above is said.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
jboardman
Zealot

I am wondering if the 12 - 15 hour battery life is while the unit is booted up, or just in general, you have to recharge after 12 . 15 hours no matter what? The main attraction to me is the larger screen, I guess. I'm not too keen on the touch screen. Will I be able to download the NYTimes via wifi? That would be the only reason that I want the wifi addition. It sounds to me like the wifi addition covering wears off after a while, correct?

Thanks for the info!

jb
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is 12-15 hrs when on, but because it takes ~45 seconds to boot I tend to leave mine on unless I know it will be unused for a while.

You don't need to use the touch screen for reading ebooks, only for infrequent operations like TOC navigation or changing the font size.

Unless the NYT has a PDF version I don't think you can use wifi to get it. Or perhaps this is possible via Calibre and its web service. If you have a Kindle subscription I think it is just a MOBI (AZW) ebook and will therefore work on the iLiad but you have to get it on the device first (and perhaps strip DRM, although why a daily paper would have DRM escapes me).

As HarryT says, the MOBI Reader is very basic but it displays text and looks up words in (some) dictionaries ok. I prefer FBReader, which also does not display the cover and it does not have dictionary support, because it gives much finer control over the appearance of the text on the page.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
jboardman
Zealot

Does the ebook reader (as opposed to the 2nd edition) have any wireless capability? And is there a word look-up dictionary feature while reading? I have read that a group is still developing "fixes" and updates for the device, and that the batteries can be replaced with those having longer life. Have you tried this?

Thanks
jb
Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

The Book Edition has the same capabilities as the 2nd Edition, except for WiFi.

Dictionary lookup is available from multiple dictionaries, but only within the MobiPocket Reader (e.g. not for PDFs). There is no pre-installed dictionary. Use the DRM free dictionaries from here, or buy one or more of the many MOBI dictionaries that are available.

There may be updated software from the user-base in the future, but I would not rely on anything except what exists today. The (larger) battery replacement should only be attempted by those who are very confident of their hardware moding skills, it will void the warranty and could easily fry the device if not done right.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I also have a Kindle 1 and want a larger reader. I'm waiting to see what comes out in the autumn. There is supposed to be a new crop of larger screens then and several planned readers. I'll see if there's something that suits me then. There's nothing on the market right now that I feel would be quite worth it to me. I waited years for something close enough to my requirements before I got the Kindle. It's not my ideal reader (the technology is still young) but it had enough of the features I wanted that I felt good about the purchase. I doubt I'll have to wait that long again, but I'm certainly willing to wait a little.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote