Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
denverh
Enthusiast
denverh began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Unruly books

Hello,

I've run into several books that seem to defy my efforts to get them to look the way I want them to. I'm looking at one right now where the first, and only the first, paragraph of a chapter is indented. Since I prefer no spaces between paragraphs, I also prefer the start of every paragraph to be indented. That's not normally difficult to achieve, but I'm having trouble with this one. A typical page looks like this:
Code:
<head>
  <title> ...  title  ... </title>
  <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
  <style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/

@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }
  /*]]>*/
  </style>
</head>

<body class="calibre">
  <div class="calibre1">
    <h3 class="calibre2" id="heading_id_2"><span class="calibre5 bold">...chapter title...</span></h3><br class="calibre4" />

<p class="calibre2"><span class="calibre3">... first paragraph...</span><br class="calibre4" />

<span class="calibre3">... second paragraph...</span><br class="calibre4" />
    <div class="mbppagebreak" id="calibre_pb_8"></div>
  </div>
</body>
The stylesheet is like this:
Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.bold {
    font-weight: bold
    }
.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    text-align: justify
    }
.calibre1 {
    border-bottom: 0;
    border-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    padding-top: 0;
    text-indent: 1.5em
    }
.calibre2 {
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    }
.calibre3 {
    font-size: 1em
    }
.calibre4 {
    display: block
    }
.calibre5 {
    font-size: 1.29167em;
    line-height: 1.2
    }
.calibre6 {
    color: blue;
    cursor: pointer;
    text-decoration: underline
    }
.calibre7 {
    color: blue
    }
.calibre8 {
    text-align: center;
    text-indent: 0
    }
.calibre9 {
    border: 1px inset;
    color: gray;
    height: 2px;
    margin-bottom: 0.5em;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    margin-top: 0.5em;
    text-indent: 75%
    }
.italic {
    font-style: italic
    }
.mbppagebreak {
    }
.underline {
    text-decoration: underline
    }
This particular book was also missing spaces between sentences. I used a regexp to try adding a couple spaces between, and that worked, more or less. I ended up with one space, not two like I was aiming for. But that's a separate, minor, issue at this point.

I've tried adding "text-indent: 1.5em;" to calibre3, adding "p {text-indent: 1.5em}" at the end of the stylesheet, adding "* {text-indent: 1.5em}" at the end of the stylesheet, and adding "text-indent: 1.5em;" to the @page. None of those things made any difference at all. At this point I'm stumped. Does anybody out there have any ideas about this?

Oh yes, I'm using Sigil 4.7.4.

Thanks,

Denver
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The problem is that you appear to actually have only one paragraph. That's why only the very first line is being properly indented. The code is only simulating paragraph breaks using <br /> tags. Also note that the "text-indent" attribute cannot be applied to <span> tags... it has no effect.

I'm afraid you have your work cut out for you. You need to overhaul the code so you have individual paragraphs, instead of giant paragraphs that are divided with <br /> tags.

I've run into those situations before. They suck. No choice but to dive in and start rewriting. You can attempt to replace those <br class="calibre4"/> tags with </p><p class="calibre2> for starters, but always keep a good backup because that kind of major Find and Replace surgery may very well break other things badly.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
denverh
Enthusiast
denverh began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Oh, of course. Now that you've pointed it out, it's obvious. I'll try the find & replace first and see how that does, keeping in mind your advice about backup copies.

Thanks for the help,

Denver
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote