Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Reading Mobipocket format

Anyone know where the non-DRMed Mobipocket format is described?

Nikolay Pultsin, the FBReader developer, has indicated he'll support that format if only he could get his hands on the specs.

The only things I can find are tools for creating a title in Mobipocket format, not creating a tool for reading it.

Which leads me to ask, Are there any (other) e-readers that read Mobipocket format?

Roger
Dedicated FBReader user always looking to expand the universe of FBReader titles
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Okay, I don't know much about this stuff, but I can point you to some info with the hopes that some of it might be helpful. I'm kind of like the blind man shooting at a bottle on the fence. Not likely to break the bottle, but it's fun to shoot!

I can't tell with a quick look, but there is some information for Mobipocket developers here... http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/default.asp including some of the book creator software (maybe with documentation on the format?), and the DOM (Document Object Format) http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...reader_dom.xml.

Unfortunately, that probably doesn't help you read as it might be the code that gets compiled into the final format, so I don't know if it's helpful to you.

I can tell you that "The Mobipocket eBook format based on the Open eBook standard using XHTML can include JavaScript and frames. It also supports native SQL queries to be used with embedded databases" according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebook#Mobipocket

This would indicate that it really is an Open eBook implementation:
Quote:
Mobipocket Publisher
Based on standards
- First implementation of Open-eBook specification for PDAs
- Builds a unique cross-platform eBook file format (XDOC PRC)
- Integration with any third party HTML/XML editor
- Support of CSS style sheets
Advanced import functions
- Import TXT/HTML file
- Import Microsoft Word / RTF / PowerPoint Documents
All HTML / CSS tags supported, including
- Hyperlinks
- Tables
- Images
Support of MetaData
- Displayed by the Reader (eBook info menu)
Support of Guides
- Displayed by the Reader as additional menu items in the navigation menu
but of course that doesn't mean it's not extended.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
There are in fact now two formats for the content. I have reverse engineered the older one and know most of the tricks of the newer one. Unfortunately i do not know the format of the higher compression.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Bob,

Thanks. I'll make sure Nikolay Pultsin is aware of at least this information.

He's been working on implementing OEB, so that looks like a good-sized piece of the puzzle.

Robert,

I hope you'll share what you know with Nikolay, privately or in a forum. I've expanded the scope of the discussion from the FBReader group at Google, which seems like the most obvious place to contact him: groups.google.com/group/fbreader

Roger
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
No problem. Send Nikolay my email address robert_marquardt att gmx dott de and tell him to contact me directly.

(i also post to groups.google.com/group/fbreader now).

Last edited by Robert Marquard; 05-23-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert