Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
New Bebook Firmware - bb1-20090910

Just noticed this firmware update on the BeBook site - dated 20090910 but released only on 21 Sept 2009 (the "21th" as they so qauintly put it), so I guess they either did some decent testing or else someone left it in their drawer when they went on holiday for a week or so...

Jokes aside, I have loaded and tried the firmware and it seems OK, although as I am not an ePub user (in fact, you could call me an anti-ePub activist of sorts) I have no idea if the imnprovements are good or not. This is what their download page says:

http://mybebook.com/a11/downloads/article_info.html

Quote:
This update was released September 21th 2009.

Here is the September 2009 firmware update for your BeBook eReader.

WARNING: Read the full text and instructions before upgrading.

This release note is for the September 2009 update. Firmware version NL-2.10-20090910

Changes compared to the update from September the 2nd 2009

Change: ePub has 5 zoomlevels now
Known issue: Bookmarks do not work with ePub and PDF files.

Changes compared to the update from August 2009
CHANGE: search with SMS-like keyboard for ePub and PDF files.
FIX: zoomlevels for ePub and PDF files are optimized.
FIX: locking and unlocking the keyboard while reading ePub and PDF files.

Changes compared to the update from February 2009:

WARNING: Removes the ability to read Mobipocket DRM protected files. (non DRM Mobipocket files can still be read)
CHANGE: This updates your BeBook adding support for DRM protected PDF and EPUB files using Adobe (r) DRM.
CHANGE: adds compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions book management software.
CHANGE: auto recognition in Adobe Digital Editions identifying the device as 'BeBook'
CHANGE: adds reflowable PDF and Epub file support.

NOTE: If you got a library of mobipocket protected files, you can always revert to the latest mobipocket version of the software. This can be downloaded HERE. It is possible to switch back and forth between firmware version containing different DRM protection systems.
Anyway, give it a try and post any good/bad feedback here and on the BeBook forums. And I guess since the Astak users have some kind of elitist status (since they have their very own forum for their Hanlin clones) they may or may not browse in here, but I'd be interested to know if their firmware is any better (I doubt the BeBook one will be anything superior the Astak firmware but you never know).

Cheers!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
I gotta say I am surprised.

I mean, at first we waited for half a year since the February update and now they give us 3 within 2 months. The last 2 even came within 3 weeks.

I will update right now
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quoting the release notes:

Would those be the same 5 levels as on the Jinke upgrade (or do we get a 150% zoom ?)
Has any body tried the smallest epub font yet .. is it legible ?

TimT.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Just noticed this firmware update on the BeBook site - dated 20090910 but released only on 21 Sept 2009 (the "21th" as they so qauintly put it), so I guess they either did some decent testing or else someone left it in their drawer when they went on holiday for a week or so...

Anyway, give it a try and post any good/bad feedback here and on the BeBook forums. And I guess since the Astak users have some kind of elitist status (since they have their very own forum for their Hanlin clones) they may or may not browse in here, but I'd be interested to know if their firmware is any better (I doubt the BeBook one will be anything superior the Astak firmware but you never know).

Cheers!
Sounds like the same firmware upgrade as Astaks, but we have had it since 9/10/2009 - the bin file is date 9/8.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by timt1961 View Post
Quoting the release notes:

Would those be the same 5 levels as on the Jinke upgrade (or do we get a 150% zoom ?)
Has any body tried the smallest epub font yet .. is it legible ?

TimT.
The smallest font is typically to display what they think is one page.

I suspect bookmarks also work but they haven't figured it out yet. On ePUB and PDF use the 6 key to set bookmarks and press and hold the 6 key to display the list of bookmarks. Then use 1 to 5 to select the one your want or 9/0 to go to additional pages. This means you can have more than 5 bookmarks although performance of the bookmark display is really slow if you have too many. Also you can press and hold the number 1 to 5 while you are viewing the bookmark list to erase a bookmark.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

I suspect bookmarks also work but they haven't figured it out yet. On ePUB and PDF use the 6 key to set bookmarks and press and hold the 6 key to display the list of bookmarks. Then use 1 to 5 to select the one your want or 9/0 to go to additional pages. This means you can have more than 5 bookmarks although performance of the bookmark display is really slow if you have too many. Also you can press and hold the number 1 to 5 while you are viewing the bookmark list to erase a bookmark.

Dale

Sounds similar to the bookmarking on Mobi Files on the Bebook.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Sounds similar to the bookmarking on Mobi Files on the Bebook.
Yes, it is similar but a bit easier to set and unset bookmarks. In mobi you have to bring up a menu.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Ahhhhhhh.... So that's how it works! I've set plenty of bookmarks (apparently ) but never knew how to find them. Couldn't find it in the manual either...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
fzelders
fzelders began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
@DaleDe This is a great TIP.
This is not in the BeBook manual :-(

THANKS!
fzelders is offline   Reply With Quote