Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Bertone
Bertone began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Exclamation M92 PDF-Reader Request for Booxtor: Joystick Keymapping Page-Turning Bug

In another thread several people have commented on a bug in the PDF-Reader of the M92. The keymapping of the joystick, so that you can use the joystick for page turning, doesn't work properly when custom margin settings are used.

I use the most recent firmware and the most recent pdf-reader patch with the odd/even margin settings.

Several people have confirmed the bug and it is very annoying. I'm a right-handed person and I use the M92 mostly in the leather cover. That means that unless I don't use the the stylus, the joystick on the right is the most natural way to turn pages. (Yes, besides the "<" and ">" buttons swiping with the stylus works properly for page turning.)

With standard settings for margins (without any custom margins) page turning with the joystick is ok.

Here is a description of the bug from another thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201694
BUG report(s) PDF Reader v2013.01.02

Quote:
Randy11 wrote:

Bug 1.8 (1.8.20121113) + PDFReader_Patch 2013.01.02 : PAD/Key mapping => Page turn
Hi,
I've a bug with the PDF Reader (last patch) when I use the key mapping for the PAD. This is the actions to do to see my bug :

Load the PDF file, I use "tabularx.pdf" but I've the same problem with other files
Page Settings : Clear Margins
Page Setting : Universal Manual => PICTURE 1
=> I get the PICTURE 2
Tools : Key Mapping -> Page Turn
Change page with the PAD => PICTURE 3

It takes 2 press on the PAD to see one page, then only one press of the button ">" is necessary and the page is fully displayed.

With the PAD, the first press show the full page and the second seems only to move the viewport.

This bug was confirmed by Vaa, thanks to her/him

Feher wrote:

I am experiencing the same bug.
Earlier page turn was working fine even in two point zoom mode but now page turn moves the viewport instead.
In that thread there are also photos that explain the problem better.

This is the problem:

Quote:
It takes 2 press on the PAD to see one page, then only one press of the button ">" is necessary and the page is fully displayed.

With the PAD, the first press show the full page and the second seems only to move the viewport.
With the ">"-button one click turns the page. With the stylus one swipe turns the page. But with the joystick, you need two clicks. Because the first click inexplicably only moves the viewport a little bit. Instead of turning the page. Only the second click turns the page. Very inconvenient, and I'm sure that's not the way it is supposed to work.

With standard margin settings (without any custom margin settings) the joystick turns the page at the first click, just as you would expect it.

And it doesn't matter which method I use for margin setting:
Custom Margins or Two Points Margins from the regular PDF-Reader, or
Universal Manual and Odd Even Margins from the new patched (Beta-)PDF-Reader.
All methods produce the same bug.

And yes, I have explicitly switched the keymapping of the joystick so that it should turn pages. But it doesn't.

Here's another forum member from the German subforum with the same complaint:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=171810&page=4
Ausführlicher Erfahrungsbericht: Boox M92 (9.7 inch Reader)
Quote:
alegst wrote:

Ein kleines Manko habe ich allerdings festgestellt. Wenn ich ein PDF Buch lese, welches ich auf größer als 100% stelle, kann ich mit dem Jostick nicht mehr blättern. Das ist schade, da man dan quasi immer nur die linke Hand benutzen kann. Vielleicht gibt es da Abhilfe.
So zooming seems to produce the same problem. But when I tell the PDF-Reader via keymapping that the joystick should be used for turning pages, it should do just that, and nothing else.

At the very least if I tell the PDF-Reader to fit the viewport under "Reading" => "To Page".

Zooming is not the problem, since the proper way to hide the margins is via margin setting and then setting the viewport via "Reading" => "To Page".

With this setting the joystick should never shift the viewport if keymapping of the joystick is switched to page turning.

Unfortunately you have never commented on this bug.

Booxtor, could you please
- confirm this bug
- tell us if something can be done about it
- if / when we can expect a fix / patch

This bug cannot be particularly difficult to fix: After all, button X must only do what button Y can already do. And according to some posters it already worked in previous versions.
It seems to be a relatively old bug, it probably affects the majority of users, since it affects a very basic mechanism, it's annoying, and it should be easy to fix.

If you could fix this / provide a patch, you would make a lot of people happy

(And I bought my M92 from your store.)

Bertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Bertone
Bertone began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Exclamation Another related bug in landscape mode

I just discovered a related bug.

If you have a pdf file with a larger paper / text area size, like Din A4, and you want to view it in landscape mode, there's a similar problem, in addition to the bug I already described.

Here's what I did:

- I opened the pdf file and applied new "Odd Even Margins" (I always use the new patched pd reader with this feature).
- Then I selected fit "To Width" under "Reading".
- Then I changed site orientation to landscape mode.

If I use the joystick for page turning, the pdf reader separates the page of my pdf file into three convenient segments.

Until here everything works as I would expect it.

With landscape mode the orientation of the joystick adapts to the new mode / orientation. If you hold the M92 in landscape mode, you still have to click he joystick downwards in order to turn to the next page. So far so good.

First I read the first / upper segment.
Then I click the joystick downwards and I can read the second / midddle segment.
Another click with the joystick and the M92 displays the third / bottom segment of the page.

Again, everything as expected.

But now, if I click the joystick again, I would expect that the pdf reader displays the first / upper segment of the next page. But that's not what happens. The pdf reader shifts the viewport again a bit downwards, it shows parts of the bottom margin. Something that souldn't happen, since I excluded these parts of the page via the "Odd Even Margins" settings.
Instead, the pdf reader should switch to the first segment of the next page.

That's new bug number 1, similar to the one described at the start of this thread. It might even be the same bug. But with these settings a joystick click has to shift the viewport two times before a click with the joystick (or the "<" / ">" buttons) turns the page.

But that's not all. If I click the joystick again, I finally arrive at the next page. But not at the upper segment, as I would expect it. Instead, the pdf reader leads me inexplicably immediately to the third / bottom segment of the next page. In order to read the first two segments of the page I have to click backwards. And that happens everytime I want to turn to the next page.
I cannot imagine that's the way it's supposed to work.

That's new bug number 2.

And a swipe with the stylus also doesn't really work for page turning with these settings. Either the pdf reader shows only white space after a few stylus swipes (bug number 3), or the stylus moves the viewport to the left or to the right, in addition to up or down. Something that shouldn't happen when I set the viewport to fit "To Width". Then a stylus swipe should only move the viewport up or down, not sideways.

That would be bug number 4.

Booxtor, is a fix / patch for these bugs possible?

And before I forget it. As mentioned I like the new patched pdf reader with the "Odd Even Margins" option. If a patch / fix for these bugs is possible it would be nice if this patch works with / is for the new patched pdf reader with the "Odd Even Margins" option.

Bertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
BertramP
BertramP began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92, Sony PRS-650
I have also found this problem, as described above, following Randy11's description. However, I only find it applies to scanned pdfs (i.e. those which are images of text), and not to standard pdfs.
BertramP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
My file 'tabularx" is not a scanned document, it's a standard PDF from the documentation of LaTeX.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, joystick, m92, margin settings, page turning