Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Hmmm ... I'm approaching the end of Ubuntu 10.04. I really like Gnome, and have learned to tweak it a bit, so I was in no hurry to move to Unity. But this might smooth the transition.
I tried Unity and liked it, but Xubuntu is so much more responsive. And the 12.10 version is quite a looker
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, It's been a year or so since I played with Unbutu, but I vaguely recall that Unity was optional, right in the install. You had a choice between Unity and. . . something else (sorry, can't recall). You might want to go on one of the dedicated Linux sites and ask around about how much hassle putting a different UI is on Unbutu 12. Seems a shame to give up a distro you like without some sort of investigation on how to tailor it for your needs.
I just ran through the installer and it never asked about unity.. I have not had a chance to play with it on that machine yet, so not sure what I think yet of it yet.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
But the big thing about LibreOffice 4 (and all other versions) is that it is not tied to a specific machine (as someone mentioned in the thread about MS Office 2013). I would imagine that simple change is going to cost MS a lot of licenses.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
But the big thing about LibreOffice 4 (and all other versions) is that it is not tied to a specific machine (as someone mentioned in the thread about MS Office 2013). I would imagine that simple change is going to cost MS a lot of licenses.
Not as many as you'd think. Very few people who trained on 2007 or later are going to be willing or able to handle a legacy interface compared to the Toolbar From Hell.

Which is why I objected to schools offering MS Office training as a business elective. The students are becoming too dependent upon one specific piece of office software with one specific interface.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Not as many as you'd think. Very few people who trained on 2007 or later are going to be willing or able to handle a legacy interface compared to the Toolbar From Hell.

Which is why I objected to schools offering MS Office training as a business elective. The students are becoming too dependent upon one specific piece of office software with one specific interface.
Plus the larger companies, like I work for, but site licenses and push MS Office out to every machine on the domain. That has always been MS's bread and butter.

It is mainly the home user that will be impact, and 99% of them wont notice four a couple years until they upgrade...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
P.T. Barnum must be an M$ board member....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote