Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
DoctorTsu
DoctorTsu is on a distinguished road

Device: 4 NT SO
Question Can't pay to remove the ads?

I have a K4 NT, didn't buy it from amazon (costs ~US$ 300 to buy from their website to Brasil) and it came with ads.

I used the .assets method to remove them, and later on started using my own screensavers.

After the update to 4.1, however, the ads came back, and the .assets method doesn't work anymore. I decided to pay the extra cash to remove the ads, but under the "Manage You Devices", theres no "edit" button in the Special Offers Column.

I'm listed as Subscribed, but can't pay to remove the ads? I can only edit my Kindle's name from there (and Deregister).

Anyone ever had this happen before? I'd prefer to pay and remove the ads, but it seems that Amazon won't let me.

I hate the ads, but didn't want to try this to remove them. From what I understood, if I try that, future OTA updates would very likely brick my device, and I still wouldn't be able to use my own screensavers, is that correct?

Thanks for any help, I didn't know where to turn before finding the forum.
DoctorTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That's odd that on your "Manage your devices" Amazon page there's no "Edit" next to the word "Subscribed". You could try contacting them via this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
DoctorTsu
DoctorTsu is on a distinguished road

Device: 4 NT SO
Thumbs up

Just contacted them via live chat, apparently you can't unsubscribe if your registered address isn't from the US.

The attendant was extra-nice and removed it for me anyway, so I just saved some money!
DoctorTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Somebody else here (not from the USA) mentioned that amazon removed their ads for free because they could not pay to remove them using their amazon account.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTsu View Post

Just contacted them via live chat, apparently you can't unsubscribe if your registered address isn't from the US.

The attendant was extra-nice and removed it for me anyway, so I just saved some money!

very wise
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTsu View Post

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Bummer that they don't offer that service routinely for others outside the United States, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
EDIT: Removed

Last edited by twobob; 07-18-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: I stated the blindingly obvious
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Amazon removed the ads for free. I'm in Poland.
They said the ads are for American market only and they regulary do it for outside US users.
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote